Hi guys,

So I just got back from a concert where I used my Bold 9700 to record some videos. Just getting home and comparing the videos to my friend's iphone 3g, I must say that the video recorder performance from my 9700 is just god awful. I was maybe 20-25 ft from the stage.

The biggest problem I had was with the bass. Whenever there was any presence of bass it sounded like there was wind against the mic and I just couldn't hear anything very well. I guess I'm fine with the video quality, I know it's only a 3.2MP camera but it seems like it could be better but I'm willing to settle with it. But the for a phone device designed to have a quality microphone I am really disappointed in how the audio turned out. I've uploaded one of the videos onto youtube to show you what I mean:

Is this normal quality for the 9700's video recorder app? And then, are there any "advanced" settings I can change to make the audio/video quality better or am I stuck?

Also, could this be an issue with MicroSD card? I was having issues with the MicroSD card the previous day, where it transferred my music files to the phone but they were all corrupted. Additionally, the last videos and pictures I had taken at the concert were unopenable because they were corrupted. Could a MicroSD issue also affect the quality of the phone's video recorder?

Thanks
    Last edited by mattbieg892; 08-08-10 at 02:32 AM.
    08-08-10 02:12 AM
    nothing you can do about it
    08-08-10 04:04 AM
    Its a video camera not a phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-10 04:17 AM
    Hmmm I'm beginning to suspect the microSD card, because the 16GB is failing the hardware tests on my PC and the 8GB seems to maintain a better quality video/audio on my phone. Does that make sense?
    08-08-10 11:01 AM
    Its a video camera not a phone.

I think you mean it's a phone, not a video camera.

But technically, its both
    The video quality is pretty good on my 9700s. It's not iPhone 4 quality, but I really wasn't expecting it to be.

Have you gone to the options screen from the video camera and made sure that the format was set to "normal" instead of "MMS"?
    08-08-10 01:58 PM
    Whenever you are recording and there's loud music playing, just cover the microphone with your thumb, it blocks out a lot of the distortion
    08-08-10 04:40 PM
    The video camera is OK I reckon - here's a vid I snapped on my 9700

(I hope that works)

Interesting that my mate shot some concert footage on his iPhone 3gs of a Leftfid gig this weekend and it was shocking. In fact I've never seen good live concert footage shot from a phone.

Have you tried your video cam in everyday situations? I find it's more than adequate.

Last edited by dodger_moore; 08-08-10 at 06:32 PM.
    08-08-10 06:24 PM
    The video camera is OK I reckon - here's a vid I snapped on my 9700

(I hope that works)

Interesting that my mate shot some concert footage on his iPhone 3gs of a Leftfid gig this weekend and it was shocking. In fact I've never seen good live concert footage shot from a phone.

Have you tried your video cam in everyday situations? I find it's more than adequate.

That is definitely better quality than I have shot with my 9700, although all of my videos are from concerts.

Yeah the only thing that has impressed me about the iPhone 4 is its amazing video quality. Friend used his iP4 and I used my 9700 at the recent Tool concert and his vids blew mine away!
    08-08-10 06:40 PM
    Here's a video of how good the audio/video quality is of the iPhone 4 at a VERY loud concert.

08-08-10 06:49 PM
    I constantly use mind to record allot of video. 480x360 can be upsized to 640x480 easily, it'll be a bit blocky.

Also, make sure you don't cover the bottom mic or it won't be able to detect sound, but rather your hand rubbing the mic while holding it (explains the "windy" part).

08-09-10 03:28 AM
    Image quality also depends on lighting. Best results would be in sunshine, and probably the worst is an indoor concert. It may look like there's plenty of light, but these lenses aren't exactly high quality optics.
    08-09-10 09:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD