I'm curious as to whether or not we will ever see 2 year max contracts like the U.S. carriers offer. I've been a telus customer for 8 years +. I'm on my 3rd 3 year contract. I'm a heavy phone user. My cell is my main means of contact for many years now. I don't have a home phone. The problem is that my phone's have always given up long before the end of the contract or they phone's end up becoming outdated. The funny part is that the Canadian carriers have the same phones for the same amount of money on a 3 year contract while U.S. carriers have them on a 2 year. Yes I have taken into consideration the Exchange rate which is not big deal since it is usually never a huge difference or at parity at times. Why are Canadian Carriers still pushing 3 YEAR contracts??? I can't understand why a U.S carrier can have the same device for 199 on a 2 year and a canadian carrier has it for 199 on a 3 year. I know telus has made a move to lower the contract cancellation fee to a maximum of $400.I assume the other service providers have also. That's good but why do 3 year contracts still exist? We're in a time now that our phones are old in about a year or half. I guess the U.S. carriers have put their market research to good use and see that most of their clients phones are outdated in a certain time frame or their clients want the more newer capable devices. Anybody with any insight into if there are any plans to eliminate 3 year contracts? Maybe It'll will take one brave service provider to offer the same phone on a 2 year max contract when every one else is doing 3. Competition works wonders and maybe that's the reason contracts and pricing is different in the U.S. We need some U.S. carriers to penetrate the Canadian market and shake things us maybe.
    Last edited by TelusBB; 08-07-10 at 12:58 PM.
    08-07-10 12:54 PM
    Won't happen anytime soon. But if you've been with Telus for 8+ years, talk to them. Many people can usually upgrade at 2 years without paying considerably more (e.g. $50 or so, if that).

And don't forget, you don't have to sign up for any contract or extend your contract if you're willing to buy the phone outright. That might actually be the best way to proceed if you want.
    08-10-10 02:32 AM
    yeah my phone is either outdated which means i have to resign the contract or update it which is $100 or the phone is broken and have to resign and get a new one. but my mom is been with telus for 10 years now and it would be nice if they had a max of 2 years only.
    08-10-10 05:27 PM
    Won't happen anytime soon. But if you've been with Telus for 8+ years, talk to them. Many people can usually upgrade at 2 years without paying considerably more (e.g. $50 or so, if that).

And don't forget, you don't have to sign up for any contract or extend your contract if you're willing to buy the phone outright. That might actually be the best way to proceed if you want.

as someone who purchased my last phone outright I've been looking at the Math

if you purchase a leading device from your provider and you think you are going to stick with them for at least 2 years, you might as well keep extending your contract 3 years every 2 years until that year you are looking to jump to another Carrier,

over 7 years you'll save considerable money re extending the contract and buying out at 7 years to jump carriers.
    08-10-10 05:31 PM
    well i think the population is the main factor why canadian carriers are pushing for 3 years compare to 2 years in US. well initially rogers had 2 yrs and telus was only one offering for 3 yrs. and now everybody is offering for 3 years. well there are competitors arising in canada but the main thing is service and network it will take time for those new guys to get settled.
    08-10-10 05:41 PM
    deRusett, you're entirely correct. Now then, if you like to upgrade every year... But not everyone can do that (like me - unless I get my phones for free). But there is nothing saying we actually have to be tied to a contract. My brother refuses to be tied to a contract, so he's perfectly happy taking people's hand me down phones and just activating those ones whenever he breaks his.
    08-11-10 01:50 AM
    I'm curious as to whether or not we will ever see 2 year max contracts like the U.S. carriers offer. I've been a telus customer for 8 years +. I'm on my 3rd 3 year contract. I'm a heavy phone user. My cell is my main means of contact for many years now. I don't have a home phone. The problem is that my phone's have always given up long before the end of the contract or they phone's end up becoming outdated. The funny part is that the Canadian carriers have the same phones for the same amount of money on a 3 year contract while U.S. carriers have them on a 2 year. Yes I have taken into consideration the Exchange rate which is not big deal since it is usually never a huge difference or at parity at times. Why are Canadian Carriers still pushing 3 YEAR contracts??? I can't understand why a U.S carrier can have the same device for 199 on a 2 year and a canadian carrier has it for 199 on a 3 year. I know telus has made a move to lower the contract cancellation fee to a maximum of $400.I assume the other service providers have also. That's good but why do 3 year contracts still exist? We're in a time now that our phones are old in about a year or half. I guess the U.S. carriers have put their market research to good use and see that most of their clients phones are outdated in a certain time frame or their clients want the more newer capable devices. Anybody with any insight into if there are any plans to eliminate 3 year contracts? Maybe It'll will take one brave service provider to offer the same phone on a 2 year max contract when every one else is doing 3. Competition works wonders and maybe that's the reason contracts and pricing is different in the U.S. We need some U.S. carriers to penetrate the Canadian market and shake things us maybe.

When did Telus start this cap? I don't see a $400 maximum listed on the site.
    08-12-10 02:45 AM
    Telus has no maximum to their cancellation fees when I called them a week ago in terms of possibly signing a contract with them, that is the only thing that kept me away from them. Telus is the only carrier in Canada to not have a maximum on their cancellation fees
    08-12-10 03:15 PM
    Yes they do... it's not likely something they will advertise too loudly (for obvious reasons) but yes, they do have a cap, it is $400.

I saw it in memo form on telus letterhead/documentation in a pdf.

Now I'm off on a hunt to find it...
    08-12-10 05:03 PM
    Well thats what they told me from Customer Service.

Here is the link from their website and does not state a maximum
    Changing your rate plan�*|�* Billing�*|�* Support�*|�* TELUS Mobility
    Last edited by aznlgcy; 08-12-10 at 11:25 PM.
    08-12-10 07:23 PM
    Sorry I actually found a statement on a Telus dealer website and also on their .pdf file brochures. Anyways just a heads up with all cellphone carriers if you signed your contract when there was no maximum, you stay under that policy until you renew anyways..
    08-12-10 11:26 PM
    well i think the population is the main factor why canadian carriers are pushing for 3 years compare to 2 years in US. well initially rogers had 2 yrs and telus was only one offering for 3 yrs. and now everybody is offering for 3 years. well there are competitors arising in canada but the main thing is service and network it will take time for those new guys to get settled.
    I believe you're right. Maybe it will take competition to get rid of 3 year contracts. Imagine if 1 or 2 major U.S. carriers came across the border? Telus, bell and rogers would be sweating bricks..especially with the agressive marketing and early upgrades the offer. Population does play a major part. Currently, the canadian market is a hard one to penetrate if you're a carrier looking to start up service.
    08-17-10 12:45 PM
    Sorry I actually found a statement on a Telus dealer website and also on their .pdf file brochures. Anyways just a heads up with all cellphone carriers if you signed your contract when there was no maximum, you stay under that policy until you renew anyways..
    Did those files and brochures happen to mention when this $400.00 maximum E.T.F. for new contracts came into effect?
    08-18-10 04:20 PM
    I wish we had 2 year contracts, that would be great. I have called and complained to telus about wanting to upgrade for a while but they still refuse to help me until 6 months before my contract is up. On the plus side though is we really only have to wait 2 and a half years before upgrading if you stay with telus and dont want to buy a phone outright. They will let me upgrade Sept 22, should be just in time for the torch!!
    08-19-10 09:27 PM
    Yea 3 yr contracts suck when ya jus say it...but like the other person said, you can usually upgrade early....Ive been on 3 yr contracts for like 10 yrs now or sumthin, but they always let me upgrade early...1st time was the 6mths b4 the end of the contract, next time was closer to 9-10 months b4 the end and my most recent upgrade to the Bold was 13 months b4 my contract ended! So I mean really....if your always gonna have a cell whats the big deal of having a 2-3 yr contract anyhow??
    08-21-10 08:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD