so i have just bought a 9650 for sprint and just learned how to tether it with the tether app. Well im kinda scared to start doing it because im not sure if im gonna get charged a data fee for tethering. Currently have the 1500min 129.99 data family plan. will i be ok or should i just say no to tether
    08-05-10 09:52 PM
    so i have just bought a 9650 for sprint and just learned how to tether it with the tether app. Well im kinda scared to start doing it because im not sure if im gonna get charged a data fee for tethering. Currently have the 1500min 129.99 data family plan. will i be ok or should i just say no to tether
    You may want to post this question in the T-Mobile forum or on a forum which is applicable to your device.

Just as an FYI, I'm currently typing this as I access the cloud via Tether. I don't know anything about T-Mobile so I can't tell you anything about their polycies.
    08-05-10 10:41 PM
    Are you serious If you would have read it said I was with sprint and I don't know where you got tmobile if it was because of my signature I specifically said I have a 9650 and stated the plan I have please read before posting dude

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-10 10:52 PM
    T-Mobile = GSM = 9700
    Sprint = CDMA = 9650

Sorry, not sure of the answer to you question scythe
    08-05-10 10:59 PM
    Are you serious If you would have read it said I was with sprint and I don't know where you got tmobile if it was because of my signature I specifically said I have a 9650 and stated the plan I have please read before posting dude

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    OK, I missed the Sprint and 9650 part of the message, I mainly focused on your question about Tether.

YOU might want to change the profile information which I glanced up at as I read your question DUDE.

I appologize for trying to be helpful, DUDE.
    08-05-10 11:00 PM
    alright here we go.... lets try this again with my information fixed. Ok i have a data plan with SPRINT unlimited, and a blackberry 9650! that i just downloaded the TETHER APP, from the app world. i wanted to know if i used this app and PAM my blackberry would i get charged more for using at as a modem or would i be ok. Will sprint charge me more for tethering in other words.
    08-05-10 11:29 PM
    Depending on your carrier, using Tether may be a violation of your terms of service. That COULD result in a bill.

With that said, users believe (subjective) that unless they are too greedy, the carrier may not detect or care about such use but, then again, they might. So suggestions vary and some might be considered unethical. Ramp up your usage so there is not a sudden increase of data. Don't be too greedy and watch streaming videos. Basically don't overdo it. And then hope for the best.

Or official sign up for tethering from your carrier for their monthly fee unless Sprint includes it.
    08-06-10 12:19 AM
    To clear up some confusion; all carriers provide different services with their respective policies. Using Desktop Manager to tether will make your carrier aware that data is tethered and in most cases will be billed as such. Applications like Tether will bypass these tethering fees as the data will look like any regular data accessed on your BlackBerry.

Bear in mind that Tether are not responsible for any financial harm you may experience through the use of their product. Even though your carrier is not aware of your tethering activities, you must be careful that your actions are in compliance with the policies of your carrier. Some have fair usage policies like 5GB maximum traffic per month on an "unlimited" plan. It is hard for the carrier to tell if you are violating any of their policies when using Tether, but excessive data usage such as continuous video streaming or downloading of large amounts of data can make the carrier be alerted that something could be fishy.

Use Tether at your own risk. Whether your tethering adventures will be noticed is something you need to keep an eye on. If you can monitor your balance online, I suggest you do so regularly. I say this because some using Tether have reported they have been billed for every bit of data as "prepay data", which could cost up to $6 per MB (for the average YouTube video at high quality setting this will calculate up to $6 * 30MB = $180).

Keep this in mind when tethering via Tether. I suggest you make yourself familiar with your carrier's policies as well.
    Last edited by HotGeekness; 08-06-10 at 04:52 AM.
    08-06-10 04:42 AM
    No offense to anyone, but I'm guessing the OP already knows that and is looking for a Sprint customer that has had experience with tethering via the tether app.

OP, might want to try posting/searching in the Sprint area of this site as well.
    08-06-10 08:54 AM
    No offense to anyone, but I'm guessing the OP already knows that and is looking for a Sprint customer that has had experience with tethering via the tether app.

OP, might want to try posting/searching in the Sprint area of this site as well.
    When writing my reply above I did have the thought in mind that this person may not benefit of the information I'm typing, but as this thread too will be indexed by Google at some point, I wanted to make sure there is as little confusion as possible to a novice user, who may not be looking for exactly the same information as the OP, but information on Tether in general.

Quick searching revealed that some Sprint users have had success and some not. Just like I thought. Using Tether is hit or miss; it all boils down to your usage patterns and of course your carrier's policies. Really if the OP did their homework, there would be no need for this thread at all. However we are here to help and whenever I can help, I will be happy to do so.

No offense to you, but please keep this discussion civilized, all of you. Thank you.
    Last edited by HotGeekness; 08-06-10 at 09:16 AM.
    08-06-10 09:12 AM
    sprint has a tether app and as long as you have a data plan with them you can tether for free... I had sprint about a year ago and I tethered with their sprint tether app and it was free, so unless something has changed, I would go to the sprint site and look up that app (or go over to the sprint forum on this site)
    08-06-10 11:18 AM
    sprint has a tether app and as long as you have a data plan with them you can tether for free... I had sprint about a year ago and I tethered with their sprint tether app and it was free, so unless something has changed, I would go to the sprint site and look up that app (or go over to the sprint forum on this site)
    Yeah, it has changed. You can't get PAM with Everything Data plans. This is listed at the very bottom of the plan's details. Definitely use Tether at your own risk.

Taken from Sprint.com:

Everything Data Share - with Any Mobile, AnytimeSM
    Sprint Premier qualifying plan: This plan qualifies you for perks like upgrade benefits beginning at 12 months of service for the primary line, anniversary gifts, six-month plan check-ups, and "just because" extras. Learn more at sprint.com/premier.
    Any Mobile, Anytime: Unlimited domestic calls from the Sprint network to and from ANY U.S. mobile phone regardless of carrier. Any network, any time. Applies when directly dialing/receiving standard voice calls between domestic wireless numbers as determined when the call is placed using indep. 3rd party and Sprint databases. Stnd. roaming rates/restrictions apply. Only available with select Sprint Plans and while on the Nationwide Sprint or Nextel National Networks (excludes calls to voicemail, 411, and other indirect methods).
    GPS: Unlimited maps, turn-by-turn directions and more with Sprint Navigation for Sprint and PowerSource phones, or TeleNav� for Nextel phones. GPS reliability varies by environment.
    Sprint Mobile Email: Access your personal email accounts in a single application, including the most popular providers: AOL, Yahoo!, MSN/Windows Live/Hotmail on featured phones.
    Sprint Mobile Email Work: Access to corporate email on feature phones (non PDA devices) through Outlook Web Access (OWA) or a desktop redirector. If your company uses Lotus Notes Domino, you can obtain access to that email on your phone through redirector software tha can be downloaded and then direct mail to your phone.
    Receive corporate email on Microsoft ExchangeSM 2000, 2003 and 2007 and on Lotus NotesSM Domino versions 6.0, 6.5 and 7.0 through a desktop redirector software.
    BlackBerry� Internet Service (BIS): Manage up to 10 different accounts with a simple three-click email setup, and IM on the go with Yahoo!� Messenger, AIM�, Google Talk and BlackBerry Messenger. Please note: BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES), which provides secure corporate email access and access to corporate IT administration, is not included and available for an additional cost.
    Sprint Radio: Indulge yourself with even more radio channels in addition to discounts on wireless music downloads. View the full Sprint Radio line-up at Sprint Ahead - powered by MSPOT.
    Sprint TV: Watch shows, sports, news, movies and more, choose from: exclusive content, short clips or full-length episodes. For the full line-up, visit sprint.com/tvguide.
    Messaging: Unlimited nationwide, text, picture and video messages to anyone on any network.
    Talk: Nights, Mon-Thurs. 7 p.m. - 7 a.m.; Weekends, Fri. 7 p.m. - Mon. 7 a.m.

Phone as modem or tethering: not included.
    08-06-10 01:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD