Does anyone know if the new OS 6 will offer unlimited characters (I believe the current maximum is 160) for the texting / SMS feature???

My prior phone before my current 2 month old Bold 9650, was an ancient Motorola Q9c (on Sprint) running Windows Mobile (can't remember what version but it was old). As old as that model was, when I would text, I could go on forever and the Windows Mobile OS itself would divide the text up into seperate messages for me. This is one thing I really miss and don't understand how RIM could not have already implemented this. Anyone know? I haven't been able to find any answers on this.

Thank You in advance...

South TX BB
    08-05-10 04:31 PM
    3.x, 4.x, 5.x and did this previously and I would assume 6.x will also i.e. send messages over 160 chars.

The problem is probably with your provider... and there are some 3rd party apps for people in a similar position as yourself.
    08-05-10 04:41 PM
    I'm on sprint too with 5.0 and it doesn't for us. Does anyone know of any 3rd party apps?
    08-05-10 04:46 PM
    Beyond 160 is one application I know of...
    08-05-10 04:48 PM
    awesome, thanks bud...hope you're doin good Hangin in there with all the os 6 hype for 9650s i hope lol
    08-05-10 04:49 PM
    I'm on att and don't have problems with extended text messages. Sounds like a carrier issue to me.
    08-05-10 04:50 PM
    southtxbb...its 6.99 but free trial is offered
    08-05-10 04:51 PM
    awesome, thanks bud...hope you're doin good Hangin in there with all the os 6 hype for 9650s i hope lol
    Yes, doing well, thanks. I'm gonna wait for others to run the OS6 leak whenever it shows up. I want to see the complaints, see what applications are compatible, battery life, etc. Good running into ya...
    08-05-10 04:52 PM
    yeah i hear ya, i may wait 2-3 hrs til I can't take it any longer myself
    08-05-10 04:54 PM
    Well, I have seen some 3rd party apps for this but with OS 6 supposed to be really sensational and all, I was hoping this would be a native feature, without having to download a seperate application into the phone, taking up more memory and stuff.

I guess it could be my provider like PDM mentions above. Wait, that old Motorola Q9c I talked about in my original post was also on Sprint, and this was not an issue (see original post).

Hmmmm....
    08-05-10 04:54 PM
    Well we were not always able to send (or was it recieve?) MMS on Sprint either but other phones besides blackberrys could...go figure
    08-05-10 04:58 PM
    This is not affected by your operating system. This is based on whether your phone runs on a CDMA network, a GSM network, or an HSPA network.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-10 04:59 PM
    This is not affected by your operating system. This is based on whether your phone runs on a CDMA network, a GSM network, or an HSPA network.

Makes sense...thanks
    08-05-10 05:02 PM

Asperse, am I understanding you correctly? It's the CDMA network? Again I bought a Motorola Q9c about 2.5 years ago and it could text past the 160 character limit. My brand new BB 9650 will not do so. Both operate on the Sprint network. Why could the older phone do it, and the brand new not? They are on the same network.
    08-05-10 07:20 PM
    Yes, doing well, thanks. I'm gonna wait for others to run the OS6 leak whenever it shows up. I want to see the complaints, see what applications are compatible, battery life, etc. Good running into ya...
    apps `should` be backwards compatible to OS5 apps
    08-05-10 08:17 PM
    apps `should` be backwards compatible to OS5 apps
    We will see soon...
    08-05-10 08:26 PM
    We will see soon...
    well i`ll believe it for now as i was told it by the Vice president for RIM EMEA, he said yea they`ll work, but will need an update to take full advantage of the new features of the OS (although he was eluding more to swipes etc on touch) so it sounds promising to me, alsoi have downloaded apps from my simulator and they work too

edit: should add that themes do NOT work
    08-05-10 08:33 PM
    when I need to send long text messages, I type them in an MMS :x that works lol
    08-05-10 09:47 PM
    When I write a txt message and go over 160 chars, it continues in a second text but shows all in one. On top of the text message it shows the number of chars left and say message 1/6 or 2/6 (up to six 160chars messages maximum). No third party apps.
    08-06-10 07:41 AM
    when I need to send long text messages, I type them in an MMS :x that works lol
    Thats trueeeeeee. I'll have to give that a try. I've gotten long MMS so I'll have to see.

Thanks!
    08-06-10 08:15 AM
    still no fix huh...
    08-31-10 01:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD