So yesterday Telus released their student plan for this year. Right now they're only offering a $40 that comes with 100mb of data. I'm currently on the $40 BlackBerry Social plan that doesn't include data but comes with unlimited social apps which include Facebook, Twitter, and BBM.

I'm thinking about switching to the student plan simply because I get data for the same price. My only concern is if 100mb is enough. Will 100mb be enough? I'll just be using my social apps, a weather app, maybe a banking app, a maps app, and emailing.

Here's the plan itself: http://www.telusmobility.com/en/AB/s...an/index.shtml
    08-05-10 12:37 PM
    One thing you can do is log on to your mytelusmobility.com account and take a look at the data you use per month right now. That will give you a good indication of how much data your phone uses up. If you plan to use gps and youtube then it will not be enough data for sure since they are both data eaters. Also, if you plan to use a phone other the a berry, it will not be enough.

Im on a 500 mb plan right now and it's more than enough for me. I usually use less than 100 per month but I have wifi on my berry and am connected at home and at work. If you have wifi available at home and maybe school, it should be fine.

Basically:

-email no worries
    -social apps no worries
    -BBM no worries
    -browsing, be conservative about it
    -weather app, monitor your data usage for the first few days. probably fine
    -Youtube wifi needed to stay under 100mbs
    -music streaming - wifi needed for sure
    -maps - use sparingly. Gps doesnt use data, but downloading the map itself does. And it doesn't stop downloading until you stop moving.
    -apps - depends on the app. Make sure you dont keep them running in the background and check your data usage for the first few days of using it.
    08-05-10 10:19 PM
    This plan is not eligible for Blackberry, iPhone, Milestone or Backflip
    08-05-10 11:48 PM
    I've been hearing rumours of a different student plan...

Telus Finalizes Student Plans, Adds $55 Option | iPhone in Canada Blog - Canada's #1 iPhone Resource

I think the $55 option is a little better.
    08-06-10 05:14 AM
    i use my phone's data EVERYDAY quite heavily and also use the same apps as you have except twitter. I have only used 221MB once and that was one of the first months i had my blackberry storm1. I think it should be enough if ur not surfing the net often.

Keep in mind BB compresses data so thats why iphone plans are more expensive.
    08-06-10 02:55 PM
    Thanks for the heads up on the Student Plans. Just switched over from the Clear Choice 65 plan to the Student 55 plan. Way more for way less. Means a happy me! I usually remember to check, but hadn't had time.

But as was stated before, the Student 40 plan does not apply to most of the smartphones, including BlackBerry.
    08-10-10 02:41 AM
    The $55 looks like a very good deal. I'm on a $50 plan right now and been trying to cut back my costs, but for $5 more I'd get an extra 100 minutes, nights from 6 instead of 9, 1 GB instead of 500MB (so realistically no difference since I don't hit that), and particularly nice to me is the Fave 10 National. Not bad at all. Only problem is that it requires a new 3-year deal, and I'm 1.5 years into one already so I wouldn't be able to sign it
    08-18-10 03:18 PM
    rapsball4, call them anyhow. If you've been with them for a while, they may be willing to let you get the plan without signing up for a new contract. That's what I did and I had no problems (my sister could have also done it as well and she's been with Telus for half the time as me - but she wanted the $40 plan, so it didn't work for her).
    08-19-10 12:24 AM
    Hey krypto. This plan is like clear choice right? No network fees and all that?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-10 04:41 PM
    Yup. There are no extra service access or 9-1-1 fees. It's all built in.

Hence why I'm really happy I was able to get the plan (I have 2 weeks left before my Student Card expires, and I'm now done my PhD, meaning my days of being a student are officially over).
    08-19-10 06:40 PM
    sweet yes ! i got it as well. Saved $5 not much on what i had before.

The only difference i get 1 gb instead of 500 mb.

and my 10 instead of my 5

but non the less its cheaper and a bit more .. so no complains.
    08-20-10 01:47 AM
    and congratulations on getting on PHD done.. Thats one big achievement. This calls for a celebration !!
    08-20-10 01:48 AM
    Lol, thanks!

And don't forget, you're now getting free local calling at 6PM instead of 9PM, plus unlimited text messaging (if you didn't already have that before).

Hey, I have no problems getting more for less. And let me tell you... I liked my last bill. I haven't seen it that low in a long time. I like!
    08-21-10 05:01 PM
    I looked at the Student $55 plan and it excludes BES. Does that mean BIS is available with this plan?
    08-25-10 03:39 PM
    i like the new student plan, but i just signed for the 65 dollar plan and well i like having the 6gbs of data to tether with!
    08-25-10 10:37 PM
    @ cl425 - yes, it is a BIS plan.
    08-31-10 01:01 AM
    What number did you guys call to get the new student plan?

I'm about 11 month into the old student 35 plan, but when I called in earlier today, they said they can only give the plan to existing customers?
    08-31-10 03:48 PM
    Are you trying to switch to the $40 plan or the $55 plan? They can switch you to the $55 plan, but not the $40 plan as that one doesn't work with BlackBerry devices.

If you're trying to switch to the $55 plan, just call them again. They shouldn't have any problems switching you to that plan. It's possible that the previous agent wasn't aware and you can request that they get clarification from a supervisor. If you've been with Telus for a while now (i.e. if you had a previous phone with them and have been with them for longer than 11 months), then you can ask to speak with Loyalty & Retention and they can set things up.
    08-31-10 04:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD