hi there,

I'm thinknig into changing my 9700 housing to a silver chrome one but have some questions :

- is it difficult ?
    - does it envolve soldering ?
    - I believe that is better to order a housing + new trackpad, to make thing easier ?
    - what is the best place to buy ? no exactly price, dont want cheap chinese stuff. I'm looking atm at truesupplier... for example : Blackberry Bold 9700 9020 Onyx full housing faceplate cover Golden Carbon fiber :: Housing/Faceplate/Cover :: 9700/9020 Onyx :: Blackberry :: Housing/Faceplate :: Truesupplier - Blackberry Accessories & PDA Accessories wholesale Co.

- what is the difference that some housings say " The top cover and the bezels already attached and good quality " ; if the top cover and the bezels are not attached, do I have to solder them ?

Any other tips and commentaries are more than welcome !

Best regards
    08-05-10 09:16 AM
    Here is a video from ColorWare on how to replace the housing on a 9700

Without a doubt, ColorWare (colorwarepc.com) sells the Best replacement parts. Pretty steep on the pricing at $150, but you pay for quality.
    08-05-10 10:37 AM
    I just replaced mine with colorware. The take apart isnt hard at all. The only problem i ran into is that my original parts are useless now. So make sure you get good quality parts.

Like I said the disassembly and the reassembly isnt bad at all. Just a couple screws and a couple clips.

I havent used truesupplier so I cant comment there.
    08-05-10 12:02 PM
    it's very easy if you have the long, blue tool shown in the video above. do NOT try the triangular guitar pick tool, it is a piece of ****. just follow the video steps (and there are several different ones on youtube if you need a different pespective). these tools are cheap on any of the chinese or other sites.

personally i've gone through 4 cases because i am fickle and like different colors. i went from stock to all-black (flat black) to black & orange, and last night changed out to pearl white.

i used an ebay-bought housing for the black one, which i had to solder (really you're just melting the tabs of the two pieces into each other) the top cover on myself and it was a little more involved. i don't recommend doing that. since this one was flat black, there were no issues with the paint chipping, etc. $18 for bezel + top cover.

i used cnn.cn for my orange & black one; the first one came with the top cover slightly misaligned and they replaced it for me for free, and this one was perfect. however after a month the paint started to chip. $10 for the whole piece (they no longer sell this one though)

for the pearl white, i used dealsishop.com cuz they have the actual OEM top cover & keyboard, and they ship from the US. the bezel itself is aftermarket as is the battery cover, and this came with the top cover pre-attached as well. the quality on the top-cover and keyboard are top-notch (since they are OEM, or as close to OEM as you'll ever see), and the bezel so far is perfectly fine. $35 for bezel, top cover, keyboard and battery cover.

although colorware is the best quality, i wouldn't spend the money on them because for less than half of that $150, i was able to go through 3 other colors for when i got bored. in addition, some of the tabs on the bezel and bottom cover are very thin and breakable; when taking the bezel and bottom cover back off they can break, and on a $10 bezel it's hardly a big deal, but on a $150 piece i'd be pretty upset. the OEM (your original) bezel seems to be made of pretty quality plastic, so if you're semi-careful you won't have to worry so much about snapping anything off.
    08-05-10 04:45 PM
    I'm staying with my bb's stock parts unless I really want to change it. There's a place in dufferin mall in toronto that does all the below/above said in replies, for those that don't feel comfortable doing it themselves.

There's probably a number of places in your hometown/city too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-10 05:38 PM
    pretty easy, 2 bolts on the bottum, use ur finger nails to pull it out the bottum housing, then pull the sides out from the side, slide out the housing upwards, and done.
    08-05-10 06:19 PM
    One goofy but relevant tip I can add from experience, make sure the actual screen is debris free before you start putting the pieces together. In my haste I guess caused from nerves, I bought the colorware, that I didn't realize a hair fell on the screen, I close it all up and looks good I thought, as soon as an all white screen displayed bam there was a long hair all snaked on my screen. Long hair must of been on my shirt or something from my girl so it was really a nuisance, I tried to let it ride for like an hour but couldn't take it. Luckily the colorware was pretty quality and I was able to get it off without breaking anything and remove the hair.

08-05-10 11:00 PM
    One goofy but relevant tip I can add from experience, make sure the actual screen is debris free before you start putting the pieces together. In my haste I guess caused from nerves, I bought the colorware, that I didn't realize a hair fell on the screen, I close it all up and looks good I thought, as soon as an all white screen displayed bam there was a long hair all snaked on my screen. Long hair must of been on my shirt or something from my girl so it was really a nuisance, I tried to let it ride for like an hour but couldn't take it. Luckily the colorware was pretty quality and I was able to get it off without breaking anything and remove the hair.

wait.. how did you get a hair stuck on the screen? the screen is a separate piece.
    08-05-10 11:56 PM
    wait.. how did you get a hair stuck on the screen? the screen is a separate piece.
    That's what I was thinking. I did run into the above mentioned problem with dust/hair on the screen when replacing pieces of my old 8320. Don't think it will happen with the 9700 though
    08-05-10 11:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD