In the past, my Bold 9650 was having horrible battery life. But with tips and advice from CB members, my battery issues were obsolete.

Today i DL'd a free app called Endomondo. It tracks your exercise routes and etc. The app uses the phone's gps to track my progress in real time.

So when i am not using the app, i make sure that i turn off the GPS and shut down the application (making sure it is NOT running in the background).

I am once again getting HORRIBLE battery life. Could simply downloading the Endomondo app drain my battery? Even though the GPS is off and Application is not operating in the background?
    08-04-10 10:03 PM
    or could simply downloading an app cause my phone to use more battery? even though the app is not operating in the background?

ps. it could be any other app and doesnt have to be the one i had DL'd in question.
    i am puzzled.
    08-05-10 10:30 AM
    If you didn't have the drain before you installed the application, and now you do, I would say it's probably the application. FYI, just because an application appears to be not running, doesn't mean it's not...
    08-05-10 10:36 AM
    i was thinking the same thing and that the app was the cause of my issues. but i didnt know that, just bc the app is closed, it could potentially still be operating in the background.

thanks for the heads up!
    08-05-10 11:02 AM
    i was thinking the same thing and that the app was the cause of my issues. but i didnt know that, just bc the app is closed, it could potentially still be operating in the background.

thanks for the heads up!
    Anytime. There are many applications that run in the backround, but will not show as running in 'App Switcher'(hold down menu key) it is up to the developer of the application to add the icon to the 'Ribbon' so it shows in App Switcher...
    08-05-10 11:06 AM
    Thanks for the all the informative info. I will probably keep the app for the next week or 2.. To see how badly i can tolerate it.. if not, i'll just delete it when its not in use.. and reinstall when needed.

thanks for everything.
    08-05-10 01:20 PM
    This is odd...I use Endomondo all the time and have no issues. But it does sound like that app is the culprit. Hmm
    08-05-10 01:22 PM
    do you leave the GPS on?
    08-05-10 01:46 PM
    do you leave the GPS on?
    I do, as a matter of fact. I leave it enabled for the simple fact of convenience. No battery drain issues
    08-05-10 04:37 PM
    hmm thats funny... yeah, maybe its just a fluke with my phone and the app.

maybe i have to let the phone "settle in" again... i guess i will have to test it out for the next couple weeks.
    08-06-10 12:06 AM
    I have Endomondo and I love it. I don't have any problems with it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-10 09:56 AM
    My wife uses Enmondo on her S2 and hasn't noticed any issues. She only installed it last week and leaves her GPS on all the time.
    08-09-10 11:08 AM
    I too use Endomondo all the time and have no issues and I even leave GPS enabled. What OS build are you using?
    08-09-10 11:27 AM
    i am using vzw's .732
    08-09-10 09:56 PM
    Endomondo will drain your battery if you have the app running while it is accessing GPS. It is a great program and I use it while cycling. However, I do notice that the GPS accessing the satellite will quickly drain the battery. So, if I do a very long ride, I will have to carry a backup portable charger or the phone will die in a few hours. As an FYI, Google Maps will also drain your battery if you leave it on and accessing the satellite.
    Just Me likes this.
    09-13-10 11:56 AM
    when i had the App. I ONLY turn on the GPS feature when needed. when i am done using the App, i turn off the GPS option.

Even with the gps option turned off, battery drain was rapid. to be honest, Endomondo is a great app. but with me having the App installed on my phone, battery drain was a nuisance. So i deleted it and didnt have any more issues.. when i want to use it.. i re-dl it and delete it when its not in use...
    09-13-10 05:07 PM
    when i had the App. I ONLY turn on the GPS feature when needed. when i am done using the App, i turn off the GPS option.

Even with the gps option turned off, battery drain was rapid. to be honest, Endomondo is a great app. but with me having the App installed on my phone, battery drain was a nuisance. So i deleted it and didnt have any more issues.. when i want to use it.. i re-dl it and delete it when its not in use...
    You should give Endomondo another try. Their recent updates have introduce some major improvements. Alternatively Adidas makes a great sport tracking app as well.
    01-29-12 09:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD