BlackBerry Torch review -- Engadget

Not looking good for RIM, better luck next time.

"it's tough to feel really excited about the BlackBerry Torch and OS 6 after heavy testing. We had high hopes coming into this review that the new operating system would be more than a fresh coat of paint on an aging user experience -- that we were going to see substantial changes in the attitude and direction of the company. While there are notable improvements here and much that is laudable, what we're ultimately left with is -- at its core -- more of the same. For all the improvements in the browser, the more upscale fit-and-finish of the UI, and the thoughtful changes in basic functionality, we still feel like this device is a generation behind the market. Instead of meeting the rising stars of the smartphone world (Apple and Google) head-on, RIM has taken something more like baby steps toward innovation. The company seems convinced that it's got a better idea about what its customers want and how a smartphone should act in 2010, but we can't say we agree. The Torch seems sluggish, underpowered, and dated from a hardware design standpoint, and OS 6, despite its new features and polish, still feels woefully behind the curve. To call the Torch the "best BlackBerry ever" wouldn't be an understatement, but unfortunately for RIM and the faithful, their best isn't nearly good enough."
    Last edited by JD914; 08-04-10 at 09:28 PM.
    08-04-10 09:16 PM
    w/e. they asked for it by putting in such bad specs on the phone.
    08-04-10 09:21 PM
    I was hoping RIM would knock one out of the park, but after reading the review, it looks like they simply tweaked OS 5 and added a few bells and whistles.
    08-04-10 09:23 PM
    One mans junk is another mans treasure. I think this will be my treasure.
    As I said in another post, I'd switch to the Samsung S if it had an LED flash, but since it doesn't, I'm staying with what I have grown to love over so many years.
    08-04-10 09:36 PM
    This is just another one of Rims Failures! Just look around Rim this new device is still a generation behind goggle and apple! I guess some people will fall for the new hype but not me Android is the future and will be top dog very soon.
    08-04-10 09:44 PM
    One mans junk is another mans treasure. I think this will be my treasure.
    As I said in another post, I'd switch to the Samsung S if it had an LED flash, but since it doesn't, I'm staying with what I have grown to love over so many years.
    People that live in a bubble should get out once in a while to see if the grass is actually greener on the other side. From personal experience I can say yes it's much greener.

BTW 480 x 360 screen resolution is junk, thats just a fact.
    08-04-10 09:51 PM
    Its the phone that could have been great, but RIM being RIM skimped out. All it really needed is a better processor, better screen resolution, and HD recording (that seems like it can be updated with software though...if the processor could handle it).

Its a shame truly, nearly every review has been unanimous that the processor simply cant handle it.
    08-04-10 09:52 PM
    That browser load time comparison was painful.
    08-04-10 09:57 PM
    Lol total fail. Every review for this phone has been bad.

Sorry folks, but the "it does what i need it to do." or "i don't need a fast phone" fanboi excuses aren't going to cut it anymore in this day in age.
    08-04-10 09:57 PM
    People that live in a bubble should get out once in a while to see if the grass is actually greener on the other side. From personal experience I can say yes it's much greener.

BTW 480 x 360 screen resolution is junk, thats just a fact.
    How does what I said make you think I'm in a bubble? Did I bash any other phones? Did I say I'd never leave Blackberry?
    I have made switches... mind you only to an Iphone 3g, then a 3GS. I'm yet to try an Android... the Samsung Galaxy S to be specific, but the lack of flash breaks the deal.

So, grass isn't always greener on the other side now is it?
    08-04-10 10:04 PM
    Lol total fail. Every review for this phone has been bad.

Sorry folks, but the "it does what i need it to do." or "i don't need a fast phone" fanboi excuses aren't going to cut it anymore in this day in age.
    well said! There seems to be apologists and fanboyisim in for every platform BUT in this case there is no excuse to accept what RIM is putting out at this day and age. Instead of evolving RIM is continuing with the same old stale formula: 2 year old hardware, 642 mhz processor and 480x360 screen resolution on top of a "new" OS is inexcusable.
    08-04-10 10:09 PM
    How does what I said make you think I'm in a bubble? Did I bash any other phones? Did I say I'd never leave Blackberry?
    I have made switches... mind you only to an Iphone 3g, then a 3GS. I'm yet to try an Android... the Samsung Galaxy S to be specific, but the lack of flash breaks the deal.

Just stay right where you are, your safety zone is where you belong.
    08-04-10 10:12 PM

i'm with you on the flash thing.. and the presence of the LED ( yup! i like it!)
    why is it hard for most people to understand that not everyone follows the herd..
    and YES i used to own an iphone 3G..
    but with a macbook Pro, an ipod touch.. an iphone is just redundant for me.
    08-04-10 10:15 PM
    Just stay right where you are, your safety zone is where you belong.
    Lol. Nice girl but definitely very naive and simple.
    08-04-10 10:15 PM
    And for the 10x more benefits you'll get from a Galaxy S. Youre really missing a lot more by going with something because it has Flash for pictures.
    08-04-10 10:16 PM
    I knew the reviews would all be dreadful. This phone (and OS 6) is what RIM has been betting its money on tto pull its collective rear-end out of a ditch, and both came up short of that aspiration.

Android just officially passed bb as the most widely used OS in the states and this type of thing is the reason why. I must agree with engadget, this thing is a generation behind the market. Its embarassing to say I own a blackberry know. RIM is full of clowns.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-10 10:19 PM
    Wow, some really aggressive stuff coming out in this one. Why are y'all so threatened by someone saying they like what they see in a phone? I like OS 6 a lot and am psyched to see it on my 9700. Do you tell people who don't like what you like or want what you want that they are naive or simple or live in bubbles often? Please let me know. I'm very interested.
    08-04-10 10:21 PM
    nice assumptions people.... simple, naive AND live in a bubble.
    Last time I checked this was a forum to express our views on phones & keep up to whats going on etc etc. I never said I hated a phone, or I wasa never going to get a different brand, but even if I did.... SO WHAT!
    But as of late, it's bash the person above you because you don't like their comments.
    08-04-10 10:42 PM
    Wow, some really aggressive stuff coming out in this one. Why are y'all so threatened by someone saying they like what they see in a phone? I like OS 6 a lot and am psyched to see it on my 9700. Do you tell people who don't like what you like or want what you want that they are naive or simple or live in bubbles often? Please let me know. I'm very interested.
    Thank you. At least you see things as they are.
    08-04-10 10:43 PM
    I'm with engadget on this one. RIM really needs to move on. They're using last gen technology and components. The CPU is just way too slow to handle BB 6 and the display has such a low resolution. It's a great update for the phone, but not good enough to stay with the competition.
    08-04-10 10:57 PM
    i read the engadget article just now. i wish they would have focused a little bit more on the work related aspects of a bb wherein it still has an edge on competitors. that being said though, it's pretty hard to disagree with what Josh has to say... the Torch could have easily been 3x better.
    08-04-10 11:03 PM
    Honestly, on July 18th when the Captivate came out on AT&T, I switched to that from my 9700. Ever since the switch, I dont intend on looking back. Although I do tend to share the love between both devices as I still do own my 9700. When it comes down to it, BlackBerry is the best phone to type with on a physical keyboard. There is no phone on the market right now that is better with a keyboard. Not even the Droid. But OS wise and touch screen, Id have to give it to Android. I used an iPhone before and it is nice indeed. But Android just seems sooo much better in functionality and freedom. Im gonna stand behind BlackBerry and Android devices now both together. Although when it comes down to the OS of a phone? BlackBerry indeed has probably the worst ever. All these updates are very businessish. It was always a businessmans phone. It always will be from BBs perspective.
    08-04-10 11:08 PM
    i read the engadget article just now. i wish they would have focused a little bit more on the work related aspects of a bb wherein it still has an edge on competitors. that being said though, it's pretty hard to disagree with what Josh has to say... the Torch could have easily been 3x better.
    why would they? its a consumer phone aimed at consumers
    08-04-10 11:08 PM
    You're welcome SB. These forums are getting crazier everyday.
    08-04-10 11:11 PM
    I think the chipset/screen-size decisions were probably made for a couple of reasons:
    1. Battery life (lower proc + lower screen-res = lower battery drain)
    2. Phone idea conceived in 2008, when this was 'OK'
    3. RIM-touchscreen app compatibility (Storm, Storm2, Torch all have same aspect ratio and resolution - good for devs!)
    4. Cost

I've heard/read Mike Lazardis mention 1. a couple of times wrt. RIM's design priorities. Unfortunately I'm not sure if customers value that priority any more; it's appears to be much more about raw power. That aside however, the Torch is supposed to be RIM's flagship device and it's appalling that it's being released with lagginess and anything less than fluid operation.
    08-04-10 11:55 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD