I am very unhappy that the BB Torch is exclusive to AT&T. First they get the Iphone now this one. I have no interest in the Droid phones which they are promoting heavily. In my experience Verizon has the better service. I had nothing but problems when I was with AT&T so why are they getting the great new phones? What is wrong with Verizon?? I am due for an upgrade, want to stay with BB but most of the BB phones are discontinued or are subpar phones like the Storm-which I might add is exclusive to Verizon. I just wonder if I am the only one very disappointed with big red. Maybe if I was "normal" I would be captivated by all the Droids they offer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-10 08:23 AM
    No, I feel your pain. I loved Verizon's service but had a lot of problems with their customer service. A rep would tell me one thing and another would tell me something different. It was very frustrating. I made the switch to AT&T and got the iPhone 4. I have service just about everywhere I did with Verizon. The experiences I've had with AT&T's CS have been positive but time will tell.

My guess why AT&T seems to get a lot of the nice new phones is their cellular technology of GSM. The majority of the world uses it. So when a manufacturer makes a phone they want to make it for the world market as well. The easiest way to do that is to make it on GSM not CDMA.

08-04-10 09:03 AM
    Each carrier has exclusive phones and just because the other doesn't have the other phone doesn't make me disappointed. If you really have to have the other phone, go get it. I've based my loyalty on a carrier according to customer service and coverage (I don't have to call CS in my case ) and that's what really matters.

Mark, you went to AT&T.......oh well...lol! This is a VZW forum buddy...
    Last edited by supermario28; 08-04-10 at 10:21 AM.
    08-04-10 10:13 AM
    VZW has the Storm line, whether that's good or bad is up to the consumer. They each sign deals with RIM. It is what it is.
    08-04-10 10:17 AM
    All the carriers are pushing Android heavily except for AT&T - because they think Android and iOS are closer in comparasion than BBOS and iOS. Which is somewhat true - Android and iOS are much more entertainment centric whereas BBOS is geared more towards messaging and communication.

And all of Big 4 have had an exclusive BBerry to date, except Sprint (except I hear rumors about what's to come in Q4 this year). The Storm line for VZW, the 8900 for TMob, the Torch for AT&T. Whether or not they're still exclusive isn't the matter for debate, of course. I'm not one to change carriers for a phone, myself - but people do. And people will.
    08-04-10 10:32 AM
    there's always the option of getting the phone from Ebay or craigslist.
    one more thing, if you don't want a commitment with the network.
    why don't you take over an existing service from someone who wants out from AT&T?
    just google the service.. something to do with cellswap
    08-04-10 10:36 AM
    My guess why AT&T seems to get a lot of the nice new phones is their cellular technology of GSM. The majority of the world uses it. So when a manufacturer makes a phone they want to make it for the world market as well. The easiest way to do that is to make it on GSM not CDMA.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com[/QUOTE]

Good point. I forgot about Verizon beoing CDMA.

08-04-10 10:50 AM
    My Verizon experience has been mostly positive, a few minor bumps in the road! All in all they have good devices, good CS, so what's the problem?
    08-04-10 12:03 PM
    My Verizon experience has been mostly positive, a few minor bumps in the road! All in all they have good devices, good CS, so what's the problem?
    The OP has different priorities I guess.
    08-04-10 12:13 PM
    My experience has been the same-good. My problem is lack of phones that interest me so I can't upgrade. Unless you want a Droid there really are not any smartphones from Verizon that are worth an upgrade from my Tour. I really like the Torch. Guess I should stop whining. My Tour has been a good phone.

08-04-10 12:36 PM
    I am very unhappy that the BB Torch is exclusive to AT&T. First they get the Iphone now this one. I have no interest in the Droid phones which they are promoting heavily. In my experience Verizon has the better service. I had nothing but problems when I was with AT&T so why are they getting the great new phones? What is wrong with Verizon?? I am due for an upgrade, want to stay with BB but most of the BB phones are discontinued or are subpar phones like the Storm-which I might add is exclusive to Verizon. I just wonder if I am the only one very disappointed with big red. Maybe if I was "normal" I would be captivated by all the Droids they offer.

IF I had a blackberry I would be , disappointed in RIM and VZW , but I don't so I'm not , GO Big RED !!
    08-04-10 01:38 PM
    Well, there will be some who have AT&T who will be disappointed when the S3 releases on VZ, possibly with LTE. And then ATT will get a new phone (9800 refresh?) that VZ people will be upset that they didn't get. The point is, people will always want what they can't get, but if u wait a little longer you can get something that ATT people can't get. Its the nature of the business.

08-04-10 05:29 PM
    mmontel I have had the Tour and at first it was great then the trackball issues and had 4 of them. Frustrated with that I upgraded a phone on my internet line just to get a new phone and got the Curve 8530 because it had the trackpad. It was ok but I missed all the power the Tour had and even though the Curve had wifi and the trackpad, it was still missing for me. I was very happy to be able to do an early upgrade for the Bold 9650. people do compare it to the Tour but there is a vast difference. At least that is my opinion. The qwerty keypad is more spacious and it is a tad heavier. It is awesome, stylish and I love it. I have had it for a full week now and no problems. I highly recommend it. I am not into the touch screen devices. I like having a qwerty keypad. The Bold isn't boring by any means. It really rocks. You should check it out before considering your options being null.
    08-04-10 05:51 PM
    Each carrier has exclusive phones and just because the other doesn't have the other phone doesn't make me disappointed. If you really have to have the other phone, go get it. I've based my loyalty on a carrier according to customer service and coverage (I don't have to call CS in my case ) and that's what really matters.

Mark, you went to AT&T.......oh well...lol! This is a VZW forum buddy...
    Yeah I did. Who knows, I will probably be back. I'm not a huge fan of Android. I liked my Incredible but the battery sucked. So we'll see in time. I like to check out the Verizon thread on occasion. The AT&T threat isn't as active. I doake it a point to say, AT&T works for me. No baging of carriers from me lol.

08-04-10 08:15 PM
    You hated the battery that bad? Oddly enough my X has better battery life than my Incredible did.

08-04-10 08:19 PM
    You hated the battery that bad? Oddly enough my X has better battery life than my Incredible did.

Yeah I did. I had to have all the features off to get through eight hours. That and the wife wanted a smartphone and the only one she wanted was the new iPhone. Thought about getting a Bold 9700 but I like big screens. A happy wife equals a happy life.

08-04-10 11:12 PM
    So far my D-INC just keeps getting better 9 hrs on and still over 3/4 battery power left on stock battery .Haven't really compared with my DX
    08-05-10 05:30 AM
    Very disappointed? Its a phone. In a retail market. It happens.
    08-05-10 03:43 PM
    Had AT&T and will never be back. Very rude.
    08-05-10 06:34 PM
    Verizon called me one day and said I don't come anywhere near the amount of minutes on the plan I have had for over a year. Asked if I would like to save $20 a month and drop my minutes. Still don't go over the new plan. When was the last time a company that I pay every month call me and say that I pay them too much? NEVER!!!! Verizon FTW!!!!!
    08-05-10 07:56 PM
    AT&T got the Torch because they asked RIM to make that phone for them. I bet by the end of the year Verizon will have another "new" BB anyway.

If I were shopping Verizon for a phone right now it would be the Samsung Fascinate.

08-06-10 02:42 AM
    I can't help but think that VZW, in partnership with the manufacturers (RIM included), are putting their energy into the development of LTE devices, and that VZW is riding the Droid Toy wave for everything they can get out of it. Sure, we'll continue to see new devices hit the market, but I don't expect to see anything innovative from the VZW/RIM pipe until after LTE rolls out. In the meantime, let's hope an official OS6 is released (and works) for the Bold.

As previously stated, GSM is the "world standard" and therefore seems to receive priority from many manufacturers on the release of new, innovative products. Yes, there are exceptions. However, given the upcoming roll out of LTE and the potential to be the next "world standard" I expect, at the least, parity in VZW's selection of devices compared to ATT or any carrier.
    08-06-10 07:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD