Something interesting I noticed about the new BB 9800 announcement, namely what was not announced: OpenGL support.

I also noticed they didn't bother to mention the accelerometer, even though it clearly has one. OpenGL and the accelerometer are what makes the Storm a decent gaming device, and play a large role in making iPhone apps so impressive. What they emphasize with the 9800 -- battery life, universal search, browser, compatibility -- seem more practical features. I'm probably making too much of the silence, but I speculate that the real consumer BlackBerry, the one with a hi res display and 3D graphics, is still in the works. It's probably the Storm 3 or whatever they plan to call it. You wouldn't expect RIM to throw Verizon under the bus, do you?
    08-03-10 07:58 PM
    A picture is worth a 1000 words, and it's a sad one.

08-03-10 08:57 PM
    08-03-10 08:58 PM
    Yes 6 does support OpenGL ES. But from that same slide...

on devices with supporting hardware
    I just built and ran the OpenGL demo that came with the 6 JDE and thats what showed in my previous screenshot.
    08-03-10 09:03 PM
    as far as i know, OpenGL is only on the Qualcomm chipset that RIM uses, which is exclusive to CDMA devices since that is Qualcomm's domain.
    08-03-10 09:07 PM
    Its using the same Marvell Xscale 624 Mhz processor found in the Bold 9000/9700/9100.

RIM is recycling the same processor from November 08. There is a reason people who used (initial reactions) it said it feels laggy, and its because of this EXACT REASON.

RIM has dropped the ball severely again. Who knows if this thing will support Adobe Flash, because the minimum requirements are a Cortex A8 processor (which Marvell is not)
    08-03-10 09:53 PM
    Its using the same Marvell Xscale 624 Mhz processor found in the Bold 9000/9700/9100.

RIM is recycling the same processor from November 08. There is a reason people who used (initial reactions) it said it feels laggy, and its because of this EXACT REASON.

RIM has dropped the ball severely again. Who knows if this thing will support Adobe Flash, because the minimum requirements are a Cortex A8 processor (which Marvell is not)
    I agree RIM should have used a newer CPU. The lack of OpenGL is probably more related to the lack of a graphics processor than the CPU speed and type. I think if you try to run OpenGL without a GPU, it would just suck up all the CPU cycles drawing and won't be able to do anything else.
    08-04-10 02:04 AM
    Ugh, what a massive fail. They excite people with "Look look! OpenGL APIs! 3D and 2D smoothness ahoy!" Then don't include it in their latest flagship. I'd hold out a small hope that it could be delivered via a software upgrade like the OpenGL on the Storm2 (That was a software upgrade, right?) but given RIM's disappointing track record, I have my doubts. And that's as a big time Blackberry fan too.
    With regards to the CDMA chipset having OpenGL- does that mean that the GSM Storm2 didn't have it?
    08-04-10 03:23 AM
    [...]
    With regards to the CDMA chipset having OpenGL- does that mean that the GSM Storm2 didn't have it?
    Correct!

Only the Qualcomm chipsets as previously stated by dLo GSR.
    08-04-10 04:14 AM
    Well that sucks. I think I'll hold out and see what else they've got up their sleeves.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-10 05:59 AM
    The VZW Storm2 does have it, as it is a CDMA handset.
    08-04-10 09:50 AM
    So it looks like people wanting RIM's real flagship device need to be on Sprint or Verizon and buy the Bold 9650.
    08-04-10 10:29 AM
    So it looks like people wanting RIM's real flagship device need to be on Sprint or Verizon and buy the Bold 9650.
    i can't think of a single reason why i need OpenGL, so i'd say the 9650 nor any of the CDMA devices are not by any means a flagship device.
    08-04-10 11:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD