...What would you do in order to take away some of ATT/BB's (mild) thunder?

I, since the Torch is a slider, would have a conference about the Droid 2 that we all know is coming and maybe even include a launch date. At the very least I would come out with an official launch date for the Samsung Fascinate.

Thoughts?
    08-03-10 03:00 PM
    I don't think Verizon, or customers for that matter, are really concerned about the Torch. It's just another dumpy, slow, Blackberry. RIM really needs to step up their game, if they want to remain competitive. Nothing they're putting out these days is new or exciting.
    Last edited by Spotmark; 08-03-10 at 03:14 PM.
    08-03-10 03:12 PM
    I don't think Verizon, or customers for that matter, are really concerned about the Torch. It's just another dumpy, slow, Blackberry. RIM really needs to step up their game, if they want to remain competitive. Nothing they're putting out these days is new or exciting.
    Sorry, but you miss my point.

The point is, this is a BB that Verizon doesn't have, and it is a new "highend" (I use that term lightly here) slider which Verizon technically doesn't have at the moment, at least not a new one. On the other hand, Sprint has the Samsung Epic. Therefore, Verizon could attempt to grab those who want a new slider of some kind by announcing said Droid 2, and ruin AT&T/BB's party and possibly even Sprint's.

And by the way, there are tons of customers (well at least a few) that are somewhat concerned about the Torch, have you not seen the front page of CB?

However, I do agree with the bold portion above, they at least need to start adding higher resolutions, faster processors, and some kind of Apps2SD/ or Apps to internal storage. They could probably get away with everything else they have already.
    08-03-10 03:44 PM
    If I was on verizon...... then I'd be paying to much....
    08-03-10 04:26 PM
    Such is the price of good coverage, at least in my area.
    08-03-10 04:43 PM
    They don't need to do anything. It is not as though Verizon is lusting over this BB. Chances are Verizon will do the typical promo on TV and stores and that will suffice.
    08-03-10 04:47 PM
    Verizon really does not care for BB at this point. Android is making them a lot of money right now, and that's where they are pushing their marketing. Honestly, from the handson comments so far from several sites, it sounds like another Storm.
    08-03-10 05:02 PM
    No one is expecting three blocks worth of people waiting in line for the Torch.

AT&T already has a bad reputation for it's Network, as showcased and exploited by Verizon in their ads last year.

With the amount of Smartphones on Verizon's network these days, is anyone complaining about their data being slow?

A fart in the wind to Verizon.
    08-03-10 05:15 PM
    Droid 2 is right around the corner.
    08-03-10 05:21 PM
    How can such vile comments seep from those beautiful lips?
    08-03-10 05:22 PM
    Sorry, but you miss my point.

The point is, this is a BB that Verizon doesn't have, and it is a new "highend" (I use that term lightly here) slider which Verizon technically doesn't have at the moment, at least not a new one. On the other hand, Sprint has the Samsung Epic. Therefore, Verizon could attempt to grab those who want a new slider of some kind by announcing said Droid 2, and ruin AT&T/BB's party and possibly even Sprint's.

And by the way, there are tons of customers (well at least a few) that are somewhat concerned about the Torch, have you not seen the front page of CB?

However, I do agree with the bold portion above, they at least need to start adding higher resolutions, faster processors, and some kind of Apps2SD/ or Apps to internal storage. They could probably get away with everything else they have already.
    Have you seen what the rest of the reviewers and tech critics have had to say about the 9800? VZW doesn't need to do anything to rain on RIM & AT&T's parade... the 9800 poor specs and the sluggish performance is doing that.

Some have claimed that there we too many application being left one in the background and that was causing some of the poor performance - which maybe true. But somebody at RIM should have see this as a problem and had representative there closing all the Apps, between each reviewers look at the device.

On a day where RIM should have really shined, they lost 2.5% in the markets. So VZW doesn't need to do anything right now... (just be glad they passed on the 9800, guess they learned with the STORM)
    08-03-10 05:49 PM
    Ha Spotmark Lol Haven't seen you in a long time at least not since my voyager LOL!!

I agree Rim is crap right now they do need to step there game up or it on to the next one.
    08-04-10 11:48 AM
    I like nasty beautiful lips
    08-04-10 12:09 PM
    Have you seen what the rest of the reviewers and tech critics have had to say about the 9800? VZW doesn't need to do anything to rain on RIM & AT&T's parade... the 9800 poor specs and the sluggish performance is doing that.

Some have claimed that there we too many application being left one in the background and that was causing some of the poor performance - which maybe true. But somebody at RIM should have see this as a problem and had representative there closing all the Apps, between each reviewers look at the device.

On a day where RIM should have really shined, they lost 2.5% in the markets. So VZW doesn't need to do anything right now... (just be glad they passed on the 9800, guess they learned with the STORM)
    It would have been interesting to see how angry the media would have been if RIM did have someone "refreshing" the devices before every reviewer... I admittedly am one of those who thinks the excessive apps are what slowed it down but I'm sure a nice processor would have fixed that problem. Did you see the video Kevin put up? Once app, "Sonic 2" was using 30% of the memory by itself. Just closing off that one alone may have been enough to improve performance.

At this point, I would like to see what BB6 would be able to do on an Android handset with a proper Apps2SD protocol. I believe the OS is good enough, but the crap hardware and lack of separate app storage is what's holding it back.
    08-04-10 02:55 PM
    I work for AT&T, I won't be jumping to sell this phone by any means. Still three years BEHIND.....
    08-04-10 03:07 PM
    I work for AT&T, I won't be jumping to sell this phone by any means. Still three years BEHIND.....
    This makes me want to ask: if a customer came in with an old BB, say, a 9000 and wanted to upgrade but said they liked what their phone already did and just wanted something newer, what would you point them to? 9800, 9700refresh (if it were out of course) or iPhone/Android?
    08-04-10 03:18 PM
    Verizon really does not care for BB at this point. Android is making them a lot of money right now, and that's where they are pushing their marketing. Honestly, from the handson comments so far from several sites, it sounds like another Storm.
    Agreed and when you think about it, the only commercials from VZW are for the Android system phones anyway, I think the only reason they're keeping BB's at this point is because of contractual obligations.
    08-04-10 03:34 PM
    Agreed and when you think about it, the only commercials from VZW are for the Android system phones anyway, I think the only reason they're keeping BB's at this point is because of contractual obligations.
    Partially agree. Verizon will never get rid of BB's altogether, regardless of cantracts. BB's are widely used in the corporate market still so to do so would be to alienate your main(biggest) customers. Not exactly a good idea. Though, I must say this may change if WinPhone7 comes into the market with guns blazing but I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.

About the commercials, I think the only other VZW commercials were for the massive fail that was "KIN" but I don't know if Microsoft was the one pushing those or VZW.
    08-04-10 04:06 PM
    Verizon and RIM are still working together in a sense. So for Verizon to come out and announce the Droid 2 or the Fascinate while AT&T is pushing out a RIM product, it will directly hurt RIMs sales. Sort of like a conflict of interest. I don't think there's going to be a mass exodus of people lining up for a 9800. It'll more than likely be people that are already with AT&T/blackberry that have an expiring contract and want to upgrade. Dont foresee too many people leaving Verizon going to AT&T just for that phone either.
    08-04-10 05:10 PM
    Such is the price of good coverage, at least in my area.
    Yeah if your in an area where vzw works better than thats the price you have to pay. Lucky for me I live in an area where sprint is the same as vzw so I now pay $100 less a month! Woo Hoo!!

It happens when you like paying less for the same coverage and service! Hehe. At least for me.

I like nasty beautiful lips
    Hahahaha.
    08-04-10 06:16 PM
    lol @ the lips comments
    08-04-10 06:37 PM
    only thing verizon needs to do to steal thunder from anyone is keep the x and incredible in stock! fortunately i already have mine.

virtually no one will be jumping ship from their current carrier to get the highly mediocre 9800...or any other blackberry for that matter.

rim's stock prices are falling and have been steadily, that really says it all.
    08-04-10 10:04 PM
    When LTE finally comes out. It will be the final nail in AT&T's coffin.
    08-05-10 10:29 AM
    When LTE finally comes out. It will be the final nail in AT&T's coffin.
    I save the link to this thread just in case.....

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/lte-vzw-189077/
    08-05-10 10:38 AM
    It looks like the only ones concerned about the Torch, are RIM themselves.

BlackBerry Panics, Cuts Price of the Torch, Its Supposed Savior | Fast Company
    08-17-10 06:17 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD