Right from BlackBerry's web page. Looks like Storm 2 wont be gettin it at all. Now Im force to buy a new device cause of this... Pfffft. U can CLICK <---there to read it for urself.

"Compatibility with Existing BlackBerry Smartphones
    BlackBerry 6 will debut on the new BlackBerry� Torch� smartphone (announced today) available from AT&T on August 12 and it is also designed to run on select BlackBerry smartphones already in market. Subject to carrier certifications in the months ahead, the new OS is expected to be available for the BlackBerry� Bold� 9700, BlackBerry� Bold� 9650 and BlackBerry� Pearl� 3G, as well as future BlackBerry smartphones.

Research In Motion is releasing an SDK for BlackBerry 6 (also announced today). Developers can find additional details at BlackBerry - BlackBerry 6.
    08-03-10 11:08 AM
    I'm happy that the 9700 will get OS6 :-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-10 11:10 AM
    I think im going to wet myself
    08-03-10 11:16 AM
    I think im going to wet myself

lol, I think Im gonna shoot myself. Carrier company's better offer a deal to those with not even a year old device to these refresh models... This sucks *** for me
    08-03-10 11:18 AM
    Yes, in the MONTHS ahead you might be seeing it on those devices. MONTHS??? Seriously???
    08-03-10 11:24 AM
    lol, I think Im gonna shoot myself. Carrier company's better offer a deal to those with not even a year old device to these refresh models... This sucks *** for me
    RIM or your carrier doesn't promise you anything or any os version when you buy a phone..what u bought is what u get as far as I'm concerned.. Wishful thinking but its not gonna happen.. I wish they'd do it to but...

08-03-10 11:25 AM
    RIM or your carrier doesn't promise you anything or any os version when you buy a phone..what u bought is what u get as far as I'm concerned.. Wishful thinking but its not gonna happen.. I wish they'd do it to but...

The original Droid is still being supported...phones older than that even. RIM gives you no guarantees. Google doesn't either, but they've had a better track record.
    08-03-10 11:27 AM
    expected... maybe we'll get a surprise, that more phones are supported? LOL
    08-03-10 11:28 AM
    Awesome about OS 6 going to the Bold 9650, I can now upgrade to that soon!

Does OS 6 guarantee a WebKit browser as well?
    08-03-10 11:29 AM
    yes os6 will have the webkit browser
    08-03-10 11:42 AM
    I wonder how long it will take for the first official release of OS6 to existing phones like the 9700?
    08-03-10 11:52 AM
    Part of the word "expected", IMO, is because Verizon got 6.0 for the Storm 2 from RIM and it was Verizon's decision to stop testing it. They determined it wasn't functioning acceptably. There is always the possibility that happens with one of the "expected" devices. The carrier reserves the right to refuse to offer the OS.
    08-03-10 11:56 AM
    okay I think I'll be switching phone companies pretty soon...it sucks to be left behind on yet another Update...i know nothing is promised but only offering the update to those 3 phones and future devices sucks a*s. RIM won't trick me into buying another blackberry...because of this. This just shows how much they care about existing customers. Guess I'll go visit Newton's Apple Tree
    08-03-10 11:57 AM
    Yes, in the MONTHS ahead you might be seeing it on those devices. MONTHS??? Seriously???
    Wouldn't this refer to an official release?

Leaks are not official.. and we could have one any time now
    08-03-10 12:04 PM
    Wouldn't this refer to an official release?

Leaks are not official.. and we could have one any time now

Exactly what I was thinking! I don't think I even remember the last "official" OS I was using! I suspect leaks will come soon enough.
    08-03-10 12:15 PM
    According to BBleaks, the touchscreen versions of OS6 take up more memory. That's why only keyboard blackberrys with 256mb are getting it. Oh, I guess the trackpad is necessary too.

08-03-10 12:17 PM
    No mention here of the 9730 Tour... Are we "bastardized" technology now?
    08-03-10 12:19 PM
    Lets rejoice guys!
    08-03-10 12:47 PM
    so when will bb os6 come to 9700
    08-03-10 02:39 PM
    OS 6 not coming to the S2 is the best news Apple could get.

Quite dumb of RIM not to cover their only model that directly competes with the iPhone IMHO. How many S2 owners do you think are now going to abandon RIM just the way RIM abandonned them.
    08-03-10 02:48 PM
    OS 6 not coming to the S2 is the best news Apple could get.

Quite dumb of RIM not to cover their only model that directly competes with the iPhone IMHO. How many S2 owners do you think are now going to abandon RIM just the way RIM abandonned them.
    A lot, imho.

I am a BB user because of enterprise. For work, BB is the only way to go for me, with my companies BES.

I chose Storm 2 for fun factor + Bulletproof work factor (Message Warhorse that BB is) It shuold have = a great smartphone, I have a good smartphone

Now that my Storm2 is basically obsolete (I can't Imagine app developers etc continuing to pour hours into dev on a device that has been eol'ed in North America) and I still have an injury prone OS and bad browser.

I am stuck with BB for work purposes. I would love to shell out the cash for the new Torch, but I won't. RIM won't be getting any more of my money, and as far as the Carrier, TELUS will very likely see my back once my contract commitment is over.

For me, if the average user that isn't tied to BB for Professional life reasons has a choice, I'd assume and advise them to look at Apple or Android.

RIM has done ZERO favors for loyalty, imho, to people that jumped on their touchscreen bandwagon and never truly got what they paid for.

My Honest $0.02 worth.

I'd be very happy with an olive branch being a better browser for OS5 as a very minimum... A reduced rate for hardware upgrade that could come via Carriers from RIM for the Storm2 would be really great, but I'm not going expect it... I think we should all stop expecting anything from these guys.

technology is just moving too quickly for anyone to truly stand behind their technology these days... if they want to stay profitable.
    Last edited by JohnnyTheCanuck; 08-03-10 at 02:58 PM.
    08-03-10 02:56 PM
    I am glad the 9700 will be getting this.. I had a 9000 when the first OS5 betas leaked and jumped right on that. I am surprised that the new pearl will receive os6 though. id imagine itd be quite slimmed down with the small screen and whatnot
    08-03-10 03:12 PM
    I wonder how long it will take for the first official release of OS6 to existing phones like the 9700?
    that's what I'm wondering as well I hope its not year later or some thing. I know it wouldent be that long but make it soon rim pretty please.

08-03-10 05:25 PM
    I'm hoping for a shrunk hybrid for the 9630. Nathanix are you listening?
    08-03-10 05:28 PM
    that's what I'm wondering as well I hope its not year later or some thing. I know it wouldent be that long but make it soon rim pretty please.

RIM's OK'ed the OS - we're just waiting for Carrier release...

Hopefully someone will leak 6 for both Bolds soon. Either a leak, or any worldwide carrier. I couldn't care less which carrier decides to go with it, most of us know how to delete Vendor.xml
    08-03-10 05:29 PM
85 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD