RIM issued a press release today (BlackBerry - Press Releases) where they officially announced OS 6. The interesting part of the press release is in the section "Compatibility with Existing BlackBerry Smartphones." While they do not explicitly mention the Storm 2, they do say OS 6 will be available for devices currently on the market.

Here is the relevant part of that section:

BlackBerry 6 will debut on the new BlackBerry� Torch� smartphone (announced today) available from AT&T on August 12 and it is also designed to run on select BlackBerry smartphones already in market. Subject to carrier certifications in the months ahead, the new OS is expected to be available for the BlackBerry� Bold� 9700, BlackBerry� Bold� 9650 and BlackBerry� Pearl� 3G, as well as future BlackBerry smartphones.
    08-03-10 10:43 AM
    Not to **** on you further, but there were many talks about the os6 testing being halted on the storm due to poor performance.
    I can't say P00P?
    08-03-10 10:49 AM
    RIM issued a press release today (BlackBerry - Press Releases) where they officially announced OS 6. The interesting part of the press release is in the section "Compatibility with Existing BlackBerry Smartphones." While they do not explicitly mention the Storm 2, they do say OS 6 will be available for devices currently on the market.

Here is the relevant part of that section:

BlackBerry 6 will debut on the new BlackBerry� Torch™ smartphone (announced today) available from AT&T on August 12 and it is also designed to run on select BlackBerry smartphones already in market. Subject to carrier certifications in the months ahead, the new OS is expected to be available for the BlackBerry� Bold™ 9700, BlackBerry� Bold™ 9650 and BlackBerry� Pearl™ 3G, as well as future BlackBerry smartphones.
    you must have missed this line when it mentions those devices currently on the market
    Last edited by howarmat; 08-03-10 at 11:06 AM.
    08-03-10 10:52 AM
    Must be the processor that is restricting? What is the 9560? Is it around 624MHz like the 9700 and Pearl 3G? If its 52Xmhz I just don't know the reasoning...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-10 10:52 AM
    I think that means the models 9700, 9650 and 9100 which are already in market. S2 got the brush off!
    08-03-10 10:53 AM
    Someone leak that damn OS Verizon tested!!

08-03-10 11:00 AM
    Notice that it says select in market phones...

obviously storm 2 is not select.
    08-03-10 11:01 AM
    ...not definitive? Someone didn't bother reading the whole press release...or even the very next sentence after the one the OP bolded...

Subject to carrier certifications in the months ahead, the new OS is expected to be available for the BlackBerry� Bold� 9700, BlackBerry� Bold� 9650 and BlackBerry� Pearl� 3G, as well as future BlackBerry smartphones.

I think that's pretty definitive.
    08-03-10 11:13 AM
    Must be the processor that is restricting? What is the 9560? Is it around 624MHz like the 9700 and Pearl 3G? If its 52Xmhz I just don't know the reasoning...

It's RAM. Probably gives more validity in the S2 "remake" that'll have the hardware to run OS 6. Makes sense I suppose. All their ads show it running on a big touchscreen...would be pointless to not have a touchscreen only compatible phone available for a while after OS 6's launch and I'd imagine it'd be cheap for RIM to just upgrade the hardware on the existing S2. Much like what Apple did with the iPhone3GS.
    08-03-10 11:15 AM
    When asked about the storm2 the rep said "The what?"

The bastrd son of RIM has been disowned.
    08-03-10 11:15 AM
    It's RAM. Probably gives more validity in the S2 "remake" that'll have the hardware to run OS 6. Makes sense I suppose. All their ads show it running on a big touchscreen...would be pointless to not have a touchscreen only compatible phone available for a while after OS 6's launch and I'd imagine it'd be cheap for RIM to just upgrade the hardware on the existing S2. Much like what Apple did with the iPhone3GS.
    BBLeaks just tweeted the reason was because the trackpad OS doesn't use as much memory, touchscreen is bigger.
    08-03-10 11:17 AM
    i have heard the RAM is the feature that is lacking on the storm 2. Other devices on the list with 256 MBs only have trackpad and takes less memory to program into the OS so they have enough RAM
    08-03-10 11:18 AM
    I was only looking forward to the webkit browser anyways. Good thing I have my Droid Incredible for that. It will be interesting to see how many S2 owners dump/sell their phones because of this if indeed the S2 is off the table for O6 which it seems to be. Too bad though.

08-03-10 11:26 AM
    As long as they do another Surepress device I'm ok with getting a new device when it releases. Not the refresh but a new Storm device (Storm 3-4)
    08-03-10 11:28 AM
    It also says, "select" devices already on the market. and since they go on to list certain devices, i'm going to be BOLD and say it will not be on the Storm2.
    08-03-10 01:03 PM
    As long as they do another Surepress device I'm ok with getting a new device when it releases. Not the refresh but a new Storm device (Storm 3-4)
    Only bad thing about Surepress is that pinch to zoom feels awkward on it. I used to try using it on BerryWeather's radar map.
    08-03-10 01:21 PM
    Only bad thing about Surepress is that pinch to zoom feels awkward on it. I used to try using it on BerryWeather's radar map.
    its all in the sensitivity settings. the screen should "know" which function you want to accomplish and disable the click when you are trying to pinch/zoom
    08-03-10 01:31 PM
    I'll even be happy with the refresh for the time being.
    If they bring out the refresh, then come out with Storm3 running LTE in the new year.
    08-03-10 08:31 PM
    Folks, while the news IS bad, it IS still possible that the Storm2 will get 6.0. It's possible that one of the early build will leak, and be usable. It's also possible ANOTHER carrier will release 6.0 for the S2. RIM didn't mention the device, because Verizon probably represents the lion's share of the S2 market with their US exclusive. You will also notice they even hedge the bets on the other devices they DID mention by saying subject to carrier certifications, based on their past experiences, primarily with Verizon, I would imagine.
    08-04-10 01:16 PM
    Folks, while the news IS bad, it IS still possible that the Storm2 will get 6.0. It's possible that one of the early build will leak, and be usable. It's also possible ANOTHER carrier will release 6.0 for the S2. RIM didn't mention the device, because Verizon probably represents the lion's share of the S2 market with their US exclusive. You will also notice they even hedge the bets on the other devices they DID mention by saying subject to carrier certifications, based on their past experiences, primarily with Verizon, I would imagine.
    That will be a welcome news!
    08-04-10 01:20 PM
    That will be a welcome news!
    let's not break out the champagne or do a happy dance just yet. Our best option (discounting the cost), may still be to get onboard with an S3 or other new BB that has more memory. time will tell. Wouldn't it be cool if people could live in the here and now, instead of endlessly daydreaming about what's "next"? hard to be content if all one does it anticipate (for good OR bad) what is coming down the pike. I did EST training. I learned one thing, if nothing else, and that was "BE HERE NOW".
    08-04-10 01:36 PM
    Not to **** on you further, but there were many talks about the os6 testing being halted on the storm due to poor performance.
    I can't say P00P?
    Yes but it must be capital p with zeros, lol
    08-04-10 03:13 PM

Yeah Bold, Pearl 3G, and Tour has 624MHz, Curve has 512MHz, I forget the Storm's CPU but I think it was a dual 400MHz.
    08-04-10 03:19 PM
    let's not break out the champagne or do a happy dance just yet. Our best option (discounting the cost), may still be to get onboard with an S3 or other new BB that has more memory. time will tell. Wouldn't it be cool if people could live in the here and now, instead of endlessly daydreaming about what's "next"? hard to be content if all one does it anticipate (for good OR bad) what is coming down the pike. I did EST training. I learned one thing, if nothing else, and that was "BE HERE NOW".
    I understand. Last time I checked, PK is not RIM spokesperson. He is the revered Mod here.
    Hopefully the next device that RIM will release on Verizon will have some forward looking specs (I will get whatever it is regardless, ) but I want to experience OS6 on S2 or a Webkit browser to the barest minimum.
    08-04-10 03:33 PM
    I understand. Last time I checked, PK is not RIM spokesperson. He is the revered Mod here.
    Hopefully the next device that RIM will release on Verizon will have some forward looking specs (I will get whatever it is regardless, ) but I want to experience OS6 on S2 or a Webkit browser to the barest minimum.
    he is indeed an excellent mod! (despite him occasionally giving me a restrained and respectful tongue-lashing, which I sometimes deserve)
    08-04-10 05:28 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD