Okay guys, finally OS 5.0.0.841 for 9500 Storm has just arrived after last release .484 in february. I grabbed and installed on my own 9500 and runs very smoothly so far.. But I haven't noticed any new changes till this moment..

Have you noticed any changes in this build? Wanna hear about your finds & fixes..

Cheeers.
    Last edited by roztel; 08-03-10 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Syntax error
    08-03-10 06:33 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/lea...9500-a-508249/

pretty lengthly thread from yesterday, might want to have a mod move that thread to OS section
    08-03-10 06:42 AM
    Initial findings:

Font for network type (3G, EDGE etc) is bigger.

More free memory on boot than .484 (I have 28MB free and that's with a couple of big apps - about 9MB total 3rd party apps)

Can't seem to get rid of Blackberry Messenger any more - it's part of 'core' and is always running.

Will report back about signal / battery if it's significantly different to 484.
    08-03-10 04:09 PM
    Initial findings:

Font for network type (3G, EDGE etc) is bigger.

More free memory on boot than .484 (I have 28MB free and that's with a couple of big apps - about 9MB total 3rd party apps)

Can't seem to get rid of Blackberry Messenger any more - it's part of 'core' and is always running.

Will report back about signal / battery if it's significantly different to 484.
    You can edit the blackberry.alx file to:

<language langid="0x0418">
    <name>BlackBerry Messenger</name>
    <description>BlackBerry Messenger</description>
    </language>
    <required>false</required>

or I think you can upgrade BBM which will put it in the add-ons category where you can delete it. If you change the ALX file, you need to wipe and reload.
    08-03-10 04:50 PM
    Can anyone upload it again please ?
    08-05-10 03:02 AM
    Can anyone upload it again please ?
    http://support.vodafone.de/publicfil...A5.0.0.841.exe
    08-05-10 07:50 AM
    Indeed the font for network type (3G, EDGE etc) is bigger.
    Anyway to make it a little smaller again?

On boot I have 33.2 MB free memory.
    Battery usage looks normal.

No bugs encountered for the moment
    08-05-10 08:20 AM
    Yeah i want to make my font a bit smaller as well, why they insist on changing pointless things like this i have no idea!!

surely a .cod can be pulled from a hybrid or possibly even 484 to put it back to normal?
    08-05-10 08:46 AM
    You can edit the blackberry.alx file to:

<language langid="0x0418">
    <name>BlackBerry Messenger</name>
    <description>BlackBerry Messenger</description>
    </language>
    <required>false</required>

or I think you can upgrade BBM which will put it in the add-ons category where you can delete it. If you change the ALX file, you need to wipe and reload.
    Yeah download and delete sorted it thanks.

Batt & signal seem similar to 484. EDGE reliability is noticeably worse than GPRS as it was on 484. Don't know if this is Vodafone's fault or my device. Basically occasionally both the native and Opera browsers will time-out when I have apparent full coverage. Once I move to an EDGE-less cell it'll all work again. Or if I bounce the modem it'll work again too. Didn't notice with 4.7 or early 5s but then it was 6 months ago and Voda has a lot more EDGE around London than it did then.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-10 01:22 PM
    Works OK for me except the video record volume is still very low and the video playback volume can't be adjusted.

Greg
    08-08-10 04:43 PM
    hm... think i found something for this update....
    BB Group chat keyboard is not poping out, need go to menu, click on new chat and cancel before can see the keyboard...
    any solutiuons...???
    08-09-10 07:09 AM
    I can't find the gps option anymore. Seems like it dissapeared.
    08-10-10 03:21 AM
    The GPS option is under Advanced Options -> GPS. Maybe a battery pull will fix your issue or perhaps your provider/company has the option blocked.

In the last case, the sollution would be to simply remove the Provisioning service book and re-register on the network, that brings back most of my missing options (which my provider then makes invisible again, I got about one minute to use them).
    08-10-10 07:28 AM
    I've been running 841 for several days, gone back to 451.
    The browser was very slow, 30 seconds for a site that normally in 484 was loaded within 5 seconds.
    Better battery-life, about 7 Mb more memory with 841.

Maybe has someone a solution for the slow browsing?

Vodafone NL
    Last edited by reneh98; 08-16-10 at 12:13 PM.
    08-16-10 12:09 PM
    The GPS option is under Advanced Options -> GPS. Maybe a battery pull will fix your issue or perhaps your provider/company has the option blocked.

In the last case, the sollution would be to simply remove the Provisioning service book and re-register on the network, that brings back most of my missing options (which my provider then makes invisible again, I got about one minute to use them).
    Its Advanced --> Location settings on this build!
    08-17-10 03:32 AM
    made my phone crash, needed battery pull. never happened before
    08-19-10 01:20 PM
    Does anyone else have a problem with the keyboard in compatibility mode with this build? Can't seem to get it to work at all!

08-19-10 03:10 PM
    I've been running this for over a week now and all seems to have been OK but today I noticed that Smrtalerts (e-mail app) needs to be reactivated and when I try to enter the activation code the keyboard is frozen.

Have tried rebooting etc but can't get it to work.
    08-19-10 03:53 PM
    In the beginning I had huge memory leaks with this build. So I wiped the phone and reinstalled my apps. Now all seems to be fine. Databases can get corrupt and restoring them all the time can cause memory leaks apparently.

So the best thing to do before installing a new OS is just wiping the device :-) ... I'm a happy user now
    08-25-10 02:11 PM
    Now got a 9500 from someone but it keeps rebooting with 841 once the sim card is in.

Go go back some versions and see wahts going on.
    10-08-10 12:18 PM
    will this work on 9530?
    10-25-10 10:04 PM
    will this work on 9530?
    By "will this work on 9530", if you mean the 871 OS, yes it is for the 9530.
    10-25-10 10:32 PM
    Memory isn't as stable as the previous leak + hybrid and battery life is shorter. The rest is working fine.
    10-26-10 10:46 PM
    Ok noob question:

I'm on Vodafone (India), will the OS download from the Vodafone Germany (the link given in this thread) work on my phone?

Thanks
    11-09-10 07:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD