Took a week from the time I ordered it to receive, as mentioned before I used a UPS store to forward it to me. Cute little box, same dumb ill designed ear buds as previous models – is it really that hard or expensive to slip in a decent bud made in china? I used unlockusa.com to get the device working - $ 2 & the code was returned in <1 min. unlock worked on first attempt – put it in multitap and follow the instructions.

Random comments – made in mexico, os 5.0.0.748 – os seems very stable. To my eyes the unit is very slick looking, a mini 9700. Build quality seems solid and fit and finish is top notch. Already notice a dust spec under the screen so I am sure this will suck in the future. Resolution on the screen is excellent, much easier to read all text and colors really pop not that it matters much. The 9100 seems smaller in the hand than the 8120 because the edges are rolled/tapered but the unit is actually a tad longer than the 8120. Will all due respect to current owners the 8120 seems like a total POS compared to the 9100.

There is a speaker port in the shape of a slice about � inch long on the bottom of the unit, so the 9100 can lay on a bedside table for example and be used to play music. Volume is quite loud and clear when playing Pink Floyd, Zep, U2, Underworld, Deadmau5, etc – more electronic stuff. The only traces of CBW wireless are CB in blue on white @ startup and 2 wifi entries that cannot be deleted – yet! Other than that the case has no logo and it’s a very sharp non-descript looking device. When on wifi there is no UMA shown, only the wifi symbol and t-mobile add a ‘-‘ & the wap you are on. Those who liked the ‘L’ theme will not find joy in the 5 fixed icons on the bottom although the screen background of the Disney Hall (I think that is what it is) is pretty sharp looking. I need to get to more apps so I choose a very nice theme called ‘simple black’ it put (3) fixed icons/folders on the left and 10 scrolling ones on the bottom on a black background – I think it is very cool looking and works great. You cannot just blast across the L as before, you prob would want to put you more used icons on the bottom – you will see what I mean if you choose this but it’s a great asset to the device. Also if you move over the calendar it generates a micro list of appts, very very cool, ditto for email, shows who sent any unread msgs. I love this theme!

If you need more protection this is a great case Case-Mate BlackBerry Pearl 9100 Barely There Cases (Case-Mate BB9100BT), BlackBerry Pearl 9100 Cases, Holsters, Skins, and Accessories by Case-mate myself I am using what I have always used BlackBerry Pearl 3G Leather Swivel Holster - Black Original (OEM) HDW-29557-001 nice place to buy stuff btw.

What I like most about the 9100 is the device performance and 3G. doing anything on the device is instant, loading google apps is instantaneous. Bringing up a map or scrolling within a map is instant as its filling in data via 3g (if you have 3g that is) as you type something in google its finding options in real time – no delay. Google maps and voice are a dream. 3g if you have never used it is a total game changer – as long as you are on 3g you can talk and get email simultaneously. Ditto for tether, you can talk and surf on your laptop @ the same time. The device is a dream in this regard. The kb has a very good feel and the trackpad also works great. The 5.0 os is very enhanced compared to what we have been used to – there are a ton of really nice features. Two that I like is that profiles are listed on the top left of the screen and manage connections is on the right, so if you want to drop down to silent for a movie or turn off BT to save on the battery is only takes a second – very nice. You can link tones with contacts to differentiate between say sms from your girlfriend or wife, lol. All the tones have more detailed options, granularity in volume settings for tones, etc.

Battery life seems to be very good; I turn off BT when I am not in my car and I easily got 48hr + on the device and this was with heavy play, music, net use, etc. from zero to a full charge took 40 min in my car today. 2 days in not an issue and 3 is possible depending on use for sure. The 35,000 word dictionary has been enhanced, there are more words and the algorithm to sort and find words has been improved. If you use google and bolt it will switch to multitap and back for you, sort of nice. I don’t get opera, I think the new version is a total f’ing joke iface wise - if you want to close the app its tedious going to the far right for the close applet and then it asks if you want to close it – wtf? Just plain lame and dumb, in one version change they lost me and everyone else I know and bolt just stepped right in, losers.

All the graphics and menus are super slick compared to 4.5x. the media area is much enhanced, scrolling through pics or doing a slideshow is great and sending an 1120x840 pic only takes seconds but the best part is no hourglass, you can keep working on other stuff. @ home I am on a dlink dir 655 N router and sending pics is instant on that – N is flipping amazing. The 3.2 camera just blows the 8120 away, very good snaps outside and in.

The phone is really a great upgrade if you like this sort of format device – yes, compared to other offerings its dated but if you think about having just a phone will excellent voice quality and battery life and having all your outlook on the device its actually quite remarkable. There is not an android or iphone alive that can sync with outlook like a berry, period. I used a bes server and if I save an appt in outlook it shows up immediately in my calendar on the device – I would never change to something else unless it came close to this integration with outlook/exchange.

I kept the my same profile when I did the enterprise activation but my profile settings did not come across, prob due to the os change from the 8120. Tether works like a snap as before, via DTM the speed is ~115kbps – I know the tether app will yield 3x the speed but this is more than enough for remote work via remote desktop/citrix, etc.

I think this os version is nicely matched to the device, I don’t care what RIM comes out with I will not be upgrading – its smoking fast and yields great battery life, case closed imo.

Now the bad news – they have totally eliminated how I use the media player when I ride my road bike. On the 8120 it was pretty simple – I hit a play list, threw the device in my jersey an off I went. If I was in a pace line or group ride and someone started to chat me up I would just remove my ear bud and mute the device and keep my song paused. If I wanted more volume I would just adjust it through the baggie I use to protect the device, nice and simple.

With the 9100 they have the more common media functions on the top of the device so if you want to pause the device you will hit forward or reverse no matter how good an aim or touch you have. The volume controls are under the hard side shell so adjusting it is a pita, it cannot be done. I could live with the volume if I could lock out or adjust what controls work via the iface but it does not appear you can so I am left with going to best buy to get a new set of ear buds so I can control the volume and mute functions – looks like the skullcandy 50-50 will do this in addition to many others.

The other change is no more cradle option – for people that are used to this feature you will know what I mean and it would have taken nothing to put the charging pins on the bottom of the device. RIM is stupid for leaving this basic feature off, the name of the game is don’t remove things that people love and are used to.

I hate not having a warranty to fall back buying via CBW on but I don’t see any other options for me @ the moment, I am totally done with my 8120 – like many of you I depend on the device for business. and the 8120 just sucks speed wise. Maybe options will change in the future with win7 devices or new model droids. I am a 6’ guy with xl hands and I never make a mistake typing on this sucker, I am baffled beyond belief of how anyone could use a 9700 or touch screen but I think the new 3g curve could be a really hot # as the kb is much easier to type on for me @ least and its has a snappy little cpu. Anyhow, I think this will hold me for a while – I am not going back to the 8120, that is for sure.

Sorry for the spelling/grammar/pic quality, just wanted to get something out there.
    Last edited by kurtla; 08-02-10 at 05:12 PM.
    08-02-10 05:03 PM
    Great write up. That is a cool theme.
    08-02-10 05:19 PM
    and btw, if there are any other questions I can answer or verify about the device or other pics that someone wants to see just let me know - this board is a great source that I have used often with nothing in return so I am here to help if I can.
    08-02-10 05:21 PM
    Wow, I think its really cool that you have an unbranded device.
    I'm jealous!
    08-02-10 05:22 PM
    Thanks for the write-up. Now I am jealous.
    08-02-10 05:52 PM
    Daamnn, this makes me want it even more now. Nice write up man.

How's the data connection with tmobile? Any issues there? Are you getting 3G majority of the time?

Have you tried wifi and phone calls? Quality? Drop offs?

Man, I miss that keyboard... lol

Oh yeah... Have you tried google maps yet?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Pi Guy 3.14; 08-02-10 at 08:21 PM.
    08-02-10 08:18 PM
    Daamnn, this makes me want it even more now. Nice write up man.

How's the data connection with tmobile? Any issues there? Are you getting 3G majority of the time?

Have you tried wifi and phone calls? Quality? Drop offs?

Man, I miss that keyboard... lol

Oh yeah... Have you tried google maps yet?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    the more I use it the more I like it overall. google voice is far more accurate in the car @ least. google maps works great, very fast - nice take on turn by turn. no connection issues, no drops - not really keeping track of 3g but everytime I look down its on 3g and i am getting mail in the car so its 3g a lot there. very solid kb, very solid little device. niche market for sure, I would not expect this device to do all that well, its just very basic and the only people that will take notice are the fans that have some history with it and like it for what it is. ot / just went to radio shack of all places for buds - came across a very knowledgeable young man that gave me a full demo of the droid x..pretty darn nice device, landscape is VERY comfortable to 2 thumb type on, someone really paid attention to the erogs on it, super solid and great sized device. again driving home my thought that RIM is going to be eclipsed @ some point - the only thing really missing from the others is the control of bes, being able to lock down/control devices and the outlook sync, the size of the device and even virtual kbs are really making in-roads. tomorrow better be darn good or RIM is going to get fried in the media
    08-02-10 08:44 PM
    Out of curiosity, what phone does T-Mobile identify your 9100 as (when you log in to t-mobile from your computer)?
    08-03-10 06:41 PM
    Out of curiosity, what phone does T-Mobile identify your 9100 as (when you log in to t-mobile from your computer)?
    the 9100 will not register on the tmo network as a known device, which is expected. on bes or dm there is no change from a native device. its an amazing device, I am really enjoying the upgrade. love the detail one can set with email tones, 2 short or med vibration bursts, etc. its just a nice & thoughtful device
    08-03-10 09:39 PM
    Does the UMA calling work because I am living in an area right now where I don't get the best signal and UMA calling is a big help
    08-04-10 04:59 AM
    Kurtla,

Is the external Speaker as loud as the 8120? Also, is there any distortion at all? Thanks in advance. By the way, was it worth all the trouble to get your hands on the device now versus the possibility of TMO carry the device in the future.
    08-04-10 06:30 AM
    Does the UMA calling work because I am living in an area right now where I don't get the best signal and UMA calling is a big help
    I mentioned in my post that the word UMA is not displayed but it works and N is the $hit. I am on wifi 100% of the time @ my house so its a feature that is necessary for me.
    08-04-10 08:35 AM
    Kurtla,

Is the external Speaker as loud as the 8120? Also, is there any distortion at all? Thanks in advance. By the way, was it worth all the trouble to get your hands on the device now versus the possibility of TMO carry the device in the future.
    its much more loud and clear than the 8120. the 9100 is such a huge step up in hardware and os that its not even fair to compare the devices. the only trouble was having to order the device a second time because CBW does not ship out of their area even through there is a drop down state list when you order the phone, other than that no real hassle @ all.

I am a real pearl user, I love the option of typing with both hands or just one and going back to the 8120 after using the 9100 is impossible, imagine everything being instant and being able to run whatever app you want. I did not think it was possible but the 9100 is in fact noticeably faster than the 9700, I had a 9700 for a month and also hook them up as part of my job so its very easy to tell. if you like the pearl format there is nothing not to like with this device imo.
    08-04-10 08:56 AM
    My phone is officially going on sale today lol. I am getting this pearl... Can't wait!
    08-04-10 10:08 AM
    My phone is officially going on sale today lol. I am getting this pearl... Can't wait!
    hey, that's great man - you are going to love it. how much do you want for your 9700 and what sort of shape is it in? you just got it a few months ago, right? thinking for my gf who just has a phone right now...
    08-04-10 10:12 AM
    hehe...

I'm asking $320 shipped. Phone is in PERFECT condition, guaranteed one of the best quality built 9700s ever made. Not a single scratch or nick on it, never been dropped or abused, trackpad is flawless. It'll come with everything out of the box (charger, usb cable, holister, manuals, phone, 2gb mem, phone) and I'll be throwing in a charging pod as well.

Let me know man.
    Last edited by Pi Guy 3.14; 08-05-10 at 12:53 AM.
    08-04-10 10:22 AM
    hehe...

I'm asking $320 shipped. Phone is in PERFECT condition, guaranteed one of the best quality built 9700s ever made. Not a single scratch or nick on it, never been dropped or abused, trackpad is flawless. It'll come with everything out of the box (charger, usb cable, holister, manuals, phone, 2gb mem, phone) and I'll be throwing in a charging pod as well.

Let me know man.
    that is a pretty good deal considering the age, condition, shipping and no tax. what she really wants is a 3g curve but we know how well that is going...let me get her into a tmo store to try the kb again, that is the major complaint I and others have on this device and if she is ok with it and is not hung up on white I will get it from you. you have it on ebay or craigs, meaning how much time do I have?
    08-04-10 11:26 AM
    that is a pretty good deal considering the age, condition, shipping and no tax. what she really wants is a 3g curve but we know how well that is going...let me get her into a tmo store to try the kb again, that is the major complaint I and others have on this device and if she is ok with it and is not hung up on white I will get it from you. you have it on ebay or craigs, meaning how much time do I have?
    Yeah, I know what you mean on the keyboard. It took a week or two to get fully used to it. I can fly on it, but I usually make a lot of typos that I have to correct (I'm real anal about spelling). But my sister has had curves for a long time and she loves my keyboard, so I guess its all on the person.

I posted in the marketplace and craigslist this morning so not exactly sure how long it will sit for sale. But thats where it stands right now, so you might have some time. I'll be around.
    08-04-10 11:34 AM
    she is coming from some sort of verizon flip phone so one would think she could get used to most anything but she is pretty specific on her likes and dislikes. hard to believe she works from one of the top law firms in the country - she spent the day @ one of mel gibson's attys yesterday - and they don't run exchange/bes so I don't know how she/I am going to set up her outlook to work with this. as you know bes is what makes these devices really fly. sucks. anyway, I will get back to you soon on this. life is funny
    08-04-10 11:40 AM
    Cool, no problem dude!
    08-04-10 12:01 PM
    More Pics Please!!
    08-04-10 11:24 PM
    Hey Kurt, just a heads up I have a sale pending right now...
    08-06-10 10:32 AM
    Hey Kurt, just a heads up I have a sale pending right now...
    I am not surprised, its a solid deal. she cannot decide what to do - she likes the 8520/9300 kb better but of course the camera and other specs are better on the bold so she was thinking of just getting a 9700 from tmo for the month and seeing how it goes.

sounds like you are all set to order the 9100 - I don't know what to say other than you are going to love it. both the speakers are far better than the 8120, voice searching is much improved and the built-in dictionary is stuffed with all sorts of new words, like lol, lol. also when you type su, or sa it will come up as an option. you know what i mean, the details are taken care of in this device.

it is noticeably faster than the 9700s I have used, one launch of google, gmail or bolt will confirm this. txtForward, the sms>email app did not work on my 8120 under bes but works great with this device. its so solid you will not think anything is missing and that is when you know you have a great device. tons of tone and alert options. I could go on and on.
    08-06-10 11:08 AM
    I seriously cannot wait man... You have no idea haha.

I just hope I don't have to wait too long... Its gonna really, really suck without my BB.... I don't know what I'm going to do with myself!
    08-06-10 11:25 AM
    I seriously cannot wait man... You have no idea haha.

I just hope I don't have to wait too long... Its gonna really, really suck without my BB.... I don't know what I'm going to do with myself!
    I have an idea, ha. so you want me to send you a spare device, I think I have some 8700s laying around or my 8120 if you really want it
    08-06-10 01:10 PM
143 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD