I just bought a Sprint 9650 Bold and the clerk said how much she love Blackberry messenger. I've owned over 10 different models of blackberrys and have never used BBM. Can someone please tell me what is so special about it? I've heard so many people say they love it. What makes it different than SMS? Why do you like it? Thanks for the help....
    08-02-10 10:18 AM
    Well its all about preference.
    BBM is more secure than sms.
    I like the fact that it is threaded and always running on a BBM enabled device.
    Picture messaging is much better on it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-10 10:40 AM
    No 160 character limit. Easier to send pictures on it. You can also send contacts on it. My girlfriend needed our insurance agent's phone number so she could ask a policy question. Instead of looking up his number, I just found his contact entry and sent the whole thing, including main number, fax, email, and address. She thought it was awesome I could do that.

Sending map locations is also pretty spiffy too.

Now I just need to find more people who use it.
    08-02-10 10:52 AM
    BBM messages are included in the price of your data plan. SMS are extra.
    I would not live without BBM.
    More than business can be conducted with it.
    I run my fantasy football league with it. Actually two...LOL
    Very secure communications.
    Sending files is easy. Try it and you'll be hooked, too
    08-02-10 10:53 AM
    BBM uses data, so there are no limits to the number of messages that can be sent if one has an unlimited data plan. Many people have limited SMS plans, and they would have to pay more money if they exceeded their limit.

It is also possible to send BBM messages to people in other countries free of charge. International SMS is expensive.

One knows when his BBM message is delivered and is able to tell when the recipient has read it.

File transfer of larger files than allowable on BIS email are possible. Files of up to 6 MB are possible to share using BBM.
    08-02-10 10:54 AM
    I'm the only person I know who has a blackberry, so I don't have much use for BBM other than here at CrackBerry. I'm a member of a Bold 9650 group and we chitchat and share photos and shoptalk about the Bold, suggest apps, etc.
    08-02-10 10:54 AM
    I'm a member of 3 CrackBerry originated groups of folks who converse quite regularly. Since I'm highly mobile, I've even met 3 of them and have the potential to meet others. The trick is, find folks you have something in common with. Some of us share music, ideas, run experiments, work OSes, a host of other things. Some of us buck each other up when life dumps a big steaming mess in our laps. BBM makes it possible.

I'm also friends with BBM contacts in other countries around the world. And with it, I can shoot the breeze, share voicenotes, pics, etc that emails can't always handle.

BBM can make your BlackBerry world as large or as small as you want it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-10 11:03 AM
    I've made some good friends on CB and chat with them regulary via BBM. I like the Read notifications on the messages I send.
    08-02-10 11:06 AM
    I'm the only person I know who has a blackberry, so I don't have much use for BBM other than here at CrackBerry. I'm a member of a Bold 9650 group and we chitchat and share photos and shoptalk about the Bold, suggest apps, etc.
    Can you send me an invite to your group? Pin is under my name
    08-02-10 12:11 PM
    Can you send me an invite to your group? Pin is under my name
    It's not my group, but here's the thread on it from here => BBM Group for 9650 Bold users - Page 4. I bumped it to pg 4 because that's the page with the correct barcode on it (previous barcode doesn't work anymore). Otherwise you can get with Rdy78, who is the group admin.
    08-02-10 12:20 PM
    Thanks for all the input. I'll give it a try. You have all been really helpful...
    08-02-10 03:35 PM
    1.bbm doesint count as text, uses DATA
    2.more then 160 charactors
    3.ITS AMAZINg
    4. only chats with blackberriers
    5. more secure
    6.GETT IT!
    08-02-10 09:04 PM
    the main advantage that I have found with BBM is to be able to communicate for free across networks with others who have blackberries.
    08-02-10 11:29 PM
    BBM is definitely an excellent feature, with plenty of advantages over texting, especially if you get into the "group" capabilities to share lists, calendars, etc with family members, workgroups, etc.

A few questions that I haven't figured out after numerous searches and thread reads are -- if I join a BBM group like the 9650 Bold group that has been referenced above, do ALL of the group members then become listed in my BBM contacts (potentially creating a crazy long list of BBM Contacts).

AND do the group members also somehow end up in my Address Book, or are BBM Contacts and Address Books potentially separate if you only interact with a person through BBM? Or does a group like the 9650 Bold group maybe work more like an email listserve in that you send a message to a certain PIN/Group Contact and that message is distributed to all members of the group without actually having to add all members to your own contact info? Sorry I'm so unclear about this.

I've considered joining the 9650 Bold group but didn't want to overwhelm my BBM Contact list and/or Address Book with a ton of people I don't actually know personally (not that they're not nice folks, mind you )

Thanks ahead for any help.
    11-17-10 10:24 AM
    BBM is definitely an excellent feature, with plenty of advantages over texting, especially if you get into the "group" capabilities to share lists, calendars, etc with family members, workgroups, etc.

A few questions that I haven't figured out after numerous searches and thread reads are -- if I join a BBM group like the 9650 Bold group that has been referenced above, do ALL of the group members then become listed in my BBM contacts (potentially creating a crazy long list of BBM Contacts).

No, they do not become contacts.
    They only appear in the group.

AND do the group members also somehow end up in my Address Book, or are BBM Contacts and Address Books potentially separate if you only interact with a person through BBM? Or does a group like the 9650 Bold group maybe work more like an email listserve in that you send a message to a certain PIN/Group Contact and that message is distributed to all members of the group without actually having to add all members to your own contact info? Sorry I'm so unclear about this.

No they do not end up as contacts in your address book either. You can only see them when you open BBM and go to the group you belong to. Unless you choose to add them in some other way to your berry.

I've considered joining the 9650 Bold group but didn't want to overwhelm my BBM Contact list and/or Address Book with a ton of people I don't actually know personally (not that they're not nice folks, mind you )

Thanks ahead for any help.
    Put my answers under your questions. Hope this helps!!
    BBMINI likes this.
    11-17-10 10:48 AM
    "No they do not end up as contacts in your address book either. You can only see them when you open BBM and go to the group you belong to. Unless you choose to add them in some other way to your berry."

Thanks, Jaydee. Related to your comment here ^^, though, if there are 100 people in a BBM Group then if I join that group when I open the group in BBM there will be a list of 100 contacts to scroll through? Just confirming so I better understand it and know what I'm getting myself into. And then related to that, if you unsusbcribe from/leave a group do all of the group contacts listed in BBM go away as well?

Thx again.
    11-17-10 11:08 AM
    "No they do not end up as contacts in your address book either. You can only see them when you open BBM and go to the group you belong to. Unless you choose to add them in some other way to your berry."

Thanks, Jaydee. Related to your comment here ^^, though, if there are 100 people in a BBM Group then if I join that group when I open the group in BBM there will be a list of 100 contacts to scroll through? Just confirming so I better understand it and know what I'm getting myself into. And then related to that, if you unsusbcribe from/leave a group do all of the group contacts listed in BBM go away as well?

Thx again.
    If you unsubscribe or "leave the group", yes..it all goes away, including all the contacts.

If there are 100 members, then when you open groups, you will see the listing of group members...if you want to scroll through them, the chats currently opened, pictures that anyone has uploaded, etc. Here is a screen shot for you.

I tried to mask the group name a bit. It is normally not smeared text like that.

Hope this helps u!!
    Groups are fun. I belong to a few myself!
    11-17-10 12:44 PM
    Awesome. Thanks again. I actually created a group with my wife just to experiment with how it works, so I'm sort of familiar with the basics but I mainly wanted to confirm that if you join a huge group then you end up with huge number of members in your BBM group list (but you helped me realize that you don't necessarily have to open the Members menu item and deal with all of them unless you want to).

BTW, I like the font used in your screen shot.
    11-17-10 01:03 PM
    BTW, I like the font used in your screen shot.
    Thanks. The font used throughout my phone system is BBCasual size 10 Bold Italic...
    cause I need to be able to see!
    11-17-10 01:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD