I just got the Curve from Verizon which I am loving!!! But I'm a grad student and I'm not sure I'll be able to afford the data plan every month (but I want to keep my curve). If I cancel the data plan will my Curve still work as a phone? It should right? I know that BB are made to have data plans and many CB users feel that they're useless without data plans and I will go back to having one once I'm finished with school next year but right now the budget is tight.
    07-11-08 09:27 AM
    Yep, you can use it without data. Verizon might hassle you about it as some reps push data plans big time, but you don't have to get a data plan. Just make sure to tell Verizon to put a data block on your account so if your phone does happen to wonder online it won't be able to connect at all.
    07-11-08 09:30 AM
    You have to have the data plan. I am a sales rep there and the BB's won't activate without a plan. The other pda's can have it without it, but not the BB's.

C

VZW employee
    07-11-08 09:32 AM
    You have to have the data plan. I am a sales rep there and the BB's won't activate without a plan. The other pda's can have it without it, but not the BB's.

C

VZW employee
    You said you must activate it with a Data plan, but once its activated can you block it?
    07-11-08 11:02 AM
    You said you must activate it with a Data plan, but once its activated can you block it?
    You could block or turn off Data Services thru the Manage Connections icon. But then you would be paying for a service you don't use. I do turn mine off in the country because the cell towers are 50 miles away, add it kills my battery life in no time.

I may turn it on a few times a days to get my emails or use CB, Viigo or Weathereye.

I find it odd that a Data plan would mandatory to activate the cell aspect of the BB. A data/email plan is required to activate the BIS account, but if it's not needed, what's the problem.

I would inquire with Verizon personally, and if it unfortunately is the case, then look for the cheapest fix.

Remember that sms and OTA downloads for ringtones and applications require data and could get quite expensive without some sort of data plan.

Good luck.
    Last edited by frfghtr; 07-11-08 at 11:24 AM.
    07-11-08 11:22 AM
    If you have a berry, you've gotta keep the data.

RIM wants they're cut too. There is no way to get around this on verizon's network.

I also work for verizon and anytime you go to activate a blackberry it errors out if there is no data plan
    07-11-08 11:25 AM
    You could block or turn off Data Services thru the Manage Connections icon. But then you would be paying for a service you don't use. I do turn mine off in the country because the cell towers are 50 miles away, add it kills my battery life in no time.

I may turn it on a few times a days to get my emails or use CB, Viigo or Weathereye.

I find it odd that a Data plan would mandatory to activate the cell aspect of the BB. A data/email plan is required to activate the BIS account, but if it's not needed, what's the problem.

I would inquire with Verizon personally, and if it unfortunately is the case, then look for the cheapest fix.

Remember that sms and OTA downloads for ringtones and applications require data and could get quite expensive without some sort of data plan.

Good luck.
    SMS does not use data.
    07-11-08 12:27 PM
    Yep, you can use it without data. Verizon might hassle you about it as some reps push data plans big time, but you don't have to get a data plan. Just make sure to tell Verizon to put a data block on your account so if your phone does happen to wonder online it won't be able to connect at all.
    For the 1000th time, you cannot block data on a Verizon blackberry.
    Ever

Ever

Stop making things up and spreading misinformation.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-08 12:28 PM
    So now I'm really confused because some people say I can cancel it and some say I can't (it seems the Verizon reps here say this).
    My phone is already activated and has a data plan, I just don't know if I want to keep it.
    If I cancel it will I still be able to use it as a phone?
    I know a few people at AT&T with Curves who don't have data plans but can still use their berrys as their phones.
    Is there some one on CB who has a berry on Verizon without a data plan and if so, what did you tell Verizon to not have the data plan?
    07-11-08 03:40 PM
    You can cancel the data plan.

In your manage connectons setting, turn data off as well so your phone doesnt try to use data and you wont get dinged for it.

You wont be able to send MMS messages though (no pics). SMS messages are fine.
    07-11-08 03:46 PM
    Again, this is not possible on Verizon Wireless.

Verizon is bound by contract with RIM to have a data plan on every active BlackBerry device.

07-11-08 04:36 PM
    The vzw reps are right you can not have a blackberry on vzw with out at least the 24.99 10mb bes plan. The system will not let a rep remove the data pkg

07-11-08 06:52 PM
    That sucks, I wonder if this is the case for Sprint as well. I'll have to check it out.

07-11-08 07:03 PM
    My mum works for vzw, and, as already stated on this thread, unfortunately you cannot cancel your data plan and still keep the device operational.

07-11-08 09:09 PM
    I respectfully disagree, Sprint's cell service is just fine their customer service stinks but they are more affordable than anyone else.

07-11-08 09:10 PM
    Sorry not trying to hijack the thread.

07-11-08 09:12 PM
    I respectfully disagree, Sprint's cell service is just fine their customer service stinks but they are more affordable than anyone else.

You just proved my whole point for sticking with vzw..

Basically: yeah, sprint has bs customer service, but hey! They're cheap! Well, ya get what ya pay for. Imho, spending a little extra money per month is worth the great service I have always had with vzw.

07-11-08 09:18 PM
    Well some of us can't afford the extra $40 for VZ. I'll be sticking with Sprint unless everyone else comes down in price.

07-11-08 09:28 PM
    Well some of us can't afford the extra $40 for VZ. I'll be sticking with Sprint unless everyone else comes down in price.

Its all a matter of preference and priorities. I just happen to budget a little more for my cell service, others budget more elsewhere.

07-11-08 09:40 PM

I'm interested in how you figure vzw is $40 more than sprint? What features are you comparing cus in an apples to apples there the same.

07-11-08 09:47 PM
    I suppose it is a matter of finances and preferences.

07-11-08 09:48 PM
    I've never had a data plan...I just can't afford it right now. I'm with AT&T and there are no issues with it. They didn't even push me to get it...totally optional. I'm still very new to this stuff. I really wanted Wi-Fi so I could browse some, but AT&T didn't offer that on my curve. I didn't realize just how much is up to the carriers. Wouldn't it be cool if RIM just delivered the same phones to the carriers (and included everything...gps...wi-fi...etc...) and people just picked the carrier that gave them the best signals? We just picked the carrier that gives us the best service in our area...which of course differs location. Oh, I'd LOVE to have the data plan, but there are just more important priorities for me at this time.
    07-11-08 09:51 PM
    Sprints SE is only $99 which includes BIS, VZs Unlimited plan is $99 plus BIS of $40, simple I believe.

07-11-08 09:52 PM

I'm interested in how you figure vzw is $40 more than sprint? What features are you comparing cus in an apples to apples there the same.

07-11-08 11:12 PM
    Sorry double post I didn't realize they where really giving everything away I guess they are sinking faster than I thought

07-11-08 11:16 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD