I recently got my bold 9650 from Verizon. I have noticed a lot the phone goes to 0 bars for a few seconds (still says 3G) but then goes to 4 or 5 bars soon after. Anyone experiencing this and know why it's happening?
    08-01-10 03:11 PM
    yea i get that too....i believe it is normal
    08-01-10 03:25 PM
    I recently got my bold 9650 from Verizon. I have noticed a lot the phone goes to 0 bars for a few seconds (still says 3G) but then goes to 4 or 5 bars soon after. Anyone experiencing this and know why it's happening?
    Yeah, this common with alot of us. Heres what some have done as a fix:
    1. remove/flip sim
    2. set from global to 1EVxx
    3. set to homenetwork
    4. update to latest v.xx.810.xx
    5. read around the forums and search and you'll find lots of info on this.
    You have options so don't worry to much about it.
    08-01-10 03:27 PM
    Yeah, this common with alot of us. Heres what some have done as a fix:
    1. remove/flip sim
    2. set from global to 1EVxx
    3. set to homenetwork
    4. update to latest v.xx.810.xx
    5. read around the forums and search and you'll find lots of info on this.
    You have options so don't worry to much about it.
    +1 on everything Cbreze has said here except I personlly would not set to home-network. It is my understanding that if you do that it will not roam on other networks when necessary as you move around, this includes in your home area because you can be in a spot that your carrier's towers don't cover at the moment and a competitor's does. If you are set to home-network then your device will not switch to the competitor's tower.
    08-01-10 03:35 PM
    Agreed @BoDeb
    08-01-10 03:36 PM
    I've tried everything, except upgrading to .810 and my signal still jumps around. I 've notice the signal fluctuation usually happens when I go to the internet or facebook and then back to the home screen. I'm pretty sure it's an OS bug with the radio. A lot of 9650 users seem to have the problem.

I'm waiting for Sprint's official release of an updated 5.0 or 6.0 (hopefully one of these will happen soon).

I'm a new BB user and I'm scared to brick my phone by updating to Alltel's release of .810.
    08-01-10 03:46 PM
    Thanks for clarifying guys. My home state is verizon saturated. No roaming needed. When traveling I re-enable.
    08-01-10 03:56 PM
    I'm a new BB user and I'm scared to brick my phone by updating to Alltel's release of .810.
    Well FWIW, I didn't see .810 improving my situation much... not enough to go through the process of wiping and installing .810, but it didn't make it worse so I am just going with it until something else comes along.

I've done all the steps outlined above since the day I got this 9650 (from ver .621, .699 and .810; I skipped .732) and it's a little better than when I first got this handset, but nothing like my old 8330. I keep my connections icon on the home screen for fast and easy disconnecting and reconnecting. :-P
    08-01-10 04:09 PM
    I am hoping this is just an OS problem, maybe will be fixed with 6.0?
    08-01-10 04:24 PM
    Another +1, flip the sim card and go to manage connections and change network technology to 1XEV.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-10 04:46 PM
    Beyond what has been suggested there isn't much you can do about it. I have the 9630 Tour and it too has this problem. The only thing you can hope for is a good OS build. .662 for Tour is the most stable I have had but even so its not perfect.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-10 05:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD