So, I'm getting ready to upgrade to a new phone, sometime in the next 2-3 weeks. I currently use a Curve, and had originally planned to just upgrade to the 8530. Lately, I've been considering getting an HTC Droid or the Motorola X, though. I've been watching the thread here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f169/th...45/index3.html but I have a specific question about apps.

Are the apps that are available for Droid phones good on *any* droid phone? Or are the apps specific to the manufacturer? Sorry, I'm a dolt about programming, but it seems like if they're all built on the Android platform, then the apps should work whichever phone you've got?

Anyone who knows how this works, thanks a bunch!
    07-30-10 04:01 PM
    All apps should work on any phone. With the exception of a few which require android 2.1 and later.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-30-10 04:07 PM
    I just switched from BB to the Droid X, and I had this question, too. My DX seems to have tons of Android apps, as well as some apps that are specific to the Motorola brand (which I assume would therefore not be available on a different branded Android phone). But almost all the Android apps I read about appear to be available on my DX.
    07-30-10 04:28 PM
    Are the apps that are available for Droid phones good on *any* droid phone? Or are the apps specific to the manufacturer? Sorry, I'm a dolt about programming, but it seems like if they're all built on the Android platform, then the apps should work whichever phone you've got?

Anyone who knows how this works, thanks a bunch!
    when the application developers make the applications they make it for a certain certain API levels, which are OS based.

and they filter the applications based on the OS version / API level with in the market.

if you see it on your market you can use it.

the only side rule is rooted phones. Some applications need to make sure the phone is rooted, but it will say it in the applications details.
    07-30-10 04:47 PM
    Previous poster is correct.

Some apps may be "hidden" on non-rooted devices in the Market (hypothetical example: a tethering app).

Some apps are clearly carrier-specific (like Sprint TV).

Most apps are available to everyone.

And, BTW, please note that Droid phones are a specific line of device carried by Verizon that have Android OS. Technically, HTC does not make a Droid device. Nitpicking... I know, but it'll confuse the true Android diehards LOL. Trust me, I had to learn.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-30-10 09:39 PM
    My advice is to go in this order carrier>phone maker>phone. Android devices are much like BB in that most of the apps work across the board. just like some app for BB 4.0.x may not work with BB5.0.x and vice-versa, the same is true for Android. Then you will always have carrier specific apps. But the good part Android apps is there are a lot more available than BB apps. I have yet to really miss a function of my BB because there are apps that can make a Android device do almost everything a BB can do. If anyone can name anything that they need from a BB, I can name a way to do it on my Droid (except BBM, which there are alternate programs, just hard getting people to use them)
    07-31-10 10:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD