Hey folks, I'll keep this short and sweet. I need a Sprint Rep or someone with first hand knowledge to chime in on this one.

On or around August 15th, I am planning on opening 2 new lines with ATT but will need to port my numbers from Sprint. Is this a fairly simple process? Would I just need to go into ATT and let the sales rep contact Sprint for the port? When the number is ported, I am assuming that my Sprint lines will be immediately terminated and ETF charges will apply (I am ok with this). I will then receive a final bill from Sprint including all outstanding charges. Correct?

That would leave me with two Sprint 9630's that are in excellent condition. I've never terminated lines before so I don't know if the PIN or ESN is blacklisted or whatever. Ultimately, what I'm looking to do is Ebay my 9630s and feel pretty confident that the potential buyer of these devices will not run into any problems trying to activate them on Sprint or any other carrier.

Is this process correct? Should I set up my new ATT lines on new telephone numbers and port the old numbers later?
    07-30-10 10:58 AM
    It's a fairly painless process.
    You will need to have your sprint acct number handy (just bring your latest bill, which will have all the info you need). The numbers will go to AT&T, and Sprint will mark your acct closed. Any charges (ETF, outstanding bills, etc) will be sent in a final bill afterward. Since your account will be closed in good standing (not closed due to non-payment or something bad like that), the ESN's will be clean, and available for re-issue.

The only reason to get new numbers and port later is if you are going to ride out your current contract (sometimes it's less money than paying the ETF), or if you're not really sure if you are going to stick with the new service, potentially going back to your current carrier in short order.
    07-30-10 11:35 AM
    On or around August 15th, I am planning on opening 2 new lines with ATT but will need to port my numbers from Sprint. Is this a fairly simple process? Would I just need to go into ATT and let the sales rep contact Sprint for the port? When the number is ported, I am assuming that my Sprint lines will be immediately terminated and ETF charges will apply (I am ok with this). I will then receive a final bill from Sprint including all outstanding charges. Correct?
    yep, I did just the opposite on June 4th, porting my iPhone number from AT&T to add a line to my existing Sprint account, when the EVO came out. I just gave Sprint my AT&T account number and that was it. Not even 10 minutes later my iPhone's service was cut, and my EVO was registered and online with the number. I was mailed my final statement from AT&T at the end of the billing cycle, with the prorated ETF charges.

Is this process correct? Should I set up my new ATT lines on new telephone numbers and port the old numbers later?
    You can do either; port it instantly, or wait till you're ready.
    07-30-10 12:21 PM
    Thanks, I appreciate the response. After being with Sprint for 13 years, I am interested in moving on because I lack signal in my home and place of business. All other areas I'm good with signal. Like I mentioned, I will give ATT a shot and try out the new 9800 when it comes out or the Samsung captivate.
    08-02-10 11:15 AM
    If you've never had AT&T before I would get new lines with new numbers and port your numbers after you know that you want to stay with AT&T.
    08-02-10 04:18 PM
    Thanks, I appreciate the response. After being with Sprint for 13 years, I am interested in moving on because I lack signal in my home and place of business. All other areas I'm good with signal. Like I mentioned, I will give ATT a shot and try out the new 9800 when it comes out or the Samsung captivate.
    Have you asked about getting an Airave? My signal in my house is lousy and Sprint gave me an Airave for free and waive the monthly charge. It boosts the signal and gets me 5 bars!!
    08-02-10 06:46 PM
    Have you asked about getting an Airave? My signal in my house is lousy and Sprint gave me an Airave for free and waive the monthly charge. It boosts the signal and gets me 5 bars!!
    Ditto - I went from 1/3rd of a bar to 5 bars at my house.
    08-02-10 07:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD