News Analysis: The release of RIM�s BlackBerry 6 operating system software is right around the corner. Since RIM is promising several new features in the BlackBerry smartphone OS, it�s becoming clear that the new mobile device will be the next thing Apple will need to worry about.

RIM BlackBerry 6 OS:10 Reasons Why Apple Needs to Worry About It

RIM�s BlackBerry 6 operating system software will be available soon. The software is arguably the best update RIM has made to its smartphone OS in a long time. It includes a better home screen, more efficient menus, and a healthy selection of features that do a fine job of matching just about any other solution on the market.

That said, the new software and its eventual release with new BlackBerry models has been ignored by the majority of consumers as Apple�s iPhone continues to capture headlines and the allure of customers.

But that doesn�t mean that BlackBerry 6 should be ignored by Apple, or that it isn�t capable of achieving success in the mobile marketplace. Based on the success RIM�s BlackBerry has enjoyed to this point, and how well the software seems positioned in the marketplace, Apple might want to start worrying about BlackBerry 6 and the immense potential it brings to the market. Here�s why:

1. RIM is finally ready to play

For a while, RIM didn�t seem all that prepared to take on Apple and Google in the mobile market. The company�s BlackBerry devices looked obsolete and its software worked poorly when compared to iOS. But with BlackBerry 6, all that has changed. The software includes several new features, including social and multimedia integration, that make it a far more viable alternative to anything Apple offers. And given the size of its installed base, that could be a major issue for Apple as it attempts to steal BlackBerry owners away from RIM.

2. It�s what the enterprise has waited for

The enterprise has been the main benefactor of RIM�s BlackBerry for years. Companies that have wanted more functionality and productivity have opted for BlackBerry devices over anything else. But in recent years, those companies realized that BlackBerry OS is becoming obsolete. And they have started looking elsewhere for their mobile needs. With BlackBerry 6, RIM can finally bring those customers back. The software includes the same level of functionality for enterprise users, but adds some streamlined menus and other features to make it more usable. That alone should make enterprise users happy.

3. Familiar � to a point

The best aspect of BlackBerry OS throughout the years is that it has remained familiar. Similar to Windows, which has kept its basic functionality throughout the years, RIM�s BlackBerry OS resembles the same look and feel that customers have been working with all these years. BlackBerry 6 will follow that pattern with the same grid-like arrangement and a familiar menu design. But it will also move forward with fresh ideas, thanks to some new graphics built into the software that most users won�t be familiar with at first. There won�t be drastic differences, but they will be noticeable. And for the most part, they will only help users get more out of the software.

4. Ease of use is now where it should be

A major issue with BlackBerry OS prior to the announcement of the new version of the software is the general lack of usability when compared to the competition. On iOS, for example, users need only to tap around the screen to open the applications and services they want. In BlackBerry OS, it requires moving around the screen with the help of a trackpad, clicking on items, and sifting through menus to find the right functions. Luckily, RIM has streamlined that to make the operating system more usable than ever. That should make BlackBerry 6 a far more capable competitor to anything Apple offers for the foreseeable future.

5. Developers will finally have something to like

Currently, Apple�s App Store has over 240,000 applications available to users looking for everything from social networking to productivity. The BlackBerry App World, on the other hand, has just a fraction of that. And so far, most of those apps are abysmal. With BlackBerry 6, RIM might have finally delivered an operating system that developers, and thus, users, will like. Not only is it better designed, but it makes it much easier for developers to create applications for it. Plus, if it�s as successful as RIM hopes, it won�t be long before developers start flocking to the software to capitalize on its growth.

6. Browsing is finally worthwhile

Browsing on BlackBerry 5 is arguably the worst experience of any smartphone on the market. Scrolling around a page is a nightmare and simply trying to find content is practically impossible. According to RIM, it has addressed that problem with a new, far more functional browser. Of course, it wasn�t all RIM�s doing. The company acquired Torch Mobile last year for the sole purpose of using its WebKit service on the new version of BlackBerry OS. Upon doing so, it has drastically improved its competitive ability to take on Apple�s Safari browser and Google�s mobile Chrome browser.

7. Say good-bye to long menus

RIM has added a key feature that could substantially improve its chances of competing with Apple�s iOS: context-based menus. Currently, BlackBerry owners will open a menu in BlackBerry 5 and find several options that they will need to sift through just to find what they�re looking for. In BlackBerry 6, the company has added a feature that examines where the user is in the software, and delivers only the items available in a menu that they might be looking for. Menus will still be very present on BlackBerry 6, but at least they will be easier to use.

8. Going social

Like every other company in the mobile market, RIM has realized the value of providing social-networking features to its users. In BlackBerry 6, users will be able to view their Facebook news feed, see what�s happening on Twitter, and more. Users can also update their Facebook status and tweet messages to their Twitter followers. Exactly how well that functionality will work is anyone�s guess, but it�s certainly a good idea on RIM�s part to include it.

9. The best of both worlds?

With RIM so heavily invested in both physical keyboards and now, thanks to the Storm2, touch screens, it�s not a stretch to say that the software might work with both technologies. If so, both consumers and enterprise customers should be excited. Those that wish to have the �next-generation� experience will find it with an all-touch-screen BlackBerry, while those who want something a bit more familiar will likely have it with a BlackBerry sporting a physical keyboard. BlackBerry 6 allows RIM to offer more options than ever. That�s something that Apple, at least to this point, has been unable to do.

10. Search will play central role

Search won�t top the list of reasons why customers will buy a BlackBerry 6 device, but rest assured that it will certainly put Apple on notice. For once, BlackBerry owners will be able to search for anything on their devices from within the new software. Users can also search the Web. Granted, Apple has been offering in-phone search for quite a while, but that doesn�t matter. It�s yet another example of RIM finding an Apple advantage and eliminating it. The more it does that with BlackBerry 6, the more Apple will need to worry.

Source: RIM BlackBerry 6 OS:10 Reasons Why Apple Needs to Worry About It - Mobile and Wireless from eWeek

Feel free to discussed.
    07-29-10 02:02 AM
    Garbage read.
    07-29-10 02:25 AM
    Garbage read.
    No doubt written by a RIM employee!
    07-29-10 03:32 AM
    Interesting, but still a lot of talk; I want to see the results in a stable, relatively bug-free environment. It may help keep some people with RIM, but I doubt it will make any iPhone users flock to RIM; they want a different kind of phone than BB People. I still think the app card is way overrated; I'd rather have 20 GREAT apps, than 200,000 so-so apps, or game apps - or, here's an idea, how about a phone that hardily needs any apps because the OS is so well designed?
    07-29-10 06:33 AM
    Meh........
    07-29-10 08:37 AM
    I highly doubt Apple, or for that matter Steve Jobs, it at all worried.

The damage has been done to a point. The perception is already in peoples minds about what BB is, business and thats it. More importantly, the people who sell phones seem to already have it set as well. Other smartphone platforms seem to sell themselves.

I've yet to be "sold" a BB in the Denver area, with the exception of stores that do not carry the iPhone.
    07-29-10 10:13 AM
    TBQH, Apple has nothing to worry about, they already got their sales.
    07-29-10 10:52 AM
    Interesting, but still a lot of talk; I want to see the results in a stable, relatively bug-free environment. It may help keep some people with RIM, but I doubt it will make any iPhone users flock to RIM; they want a different kind of phone than BB People. I still think the app card is way overrated; I'd rather have 20 GREAT apps, than 200,000 so-so apps, or game apps - or, here's an idea, how about a phone that hardily needs any apps because the OS is so well designed?
    I've found every app for my needs on the BB so far, I'm pretty sure there isn't a shortage of apps that everyone could use on the BB AppWorld. So far I've gotten what I want on my phone, Weather Network, Google Maps, Opera mini, Drivesafe.ly, ScoreMobile, Yahoo & MSN messengers. I could probably take the data plan off my phone but I think Yahoo & MSN needs it.

Sure Android & Apple has way more, but most of them are toys and useless apps, I like live cam on my iPod but I wouldn't use it on my BB.
    07-29-10 11:01 AM
    If I were CEO of a large corporation with lots invested in Berry infrastructure I'd feel reassured.

But I'm neither.

- R.
    07-29-10 12:35 PM
    I've found every app for my needs on the BB so far, I'm pretty sure there isn't a shortage of apps that everyone could use on the BB AppWorld. So far I've gotten what I want on my phone, Weather Network, Google Maps, Opera mini, Drivesafe.ly, ScoreMobile, Yahoo & MSN messengers. I could probably take the data plan off my phone but I think Yahoo & MSN needs it.

Sure Android & Apple has way more, but most of them are toys and useless apps, I like live cam on my iPod but I wouldn't use it on my BB.
    It doesn't matter that most of them are "toys or useless apps" because, even if you assume 99% of them are terrible, that's still around 2,000 good apps given Apple's current numbers.

And even if most of those aren't useful to you, some still will be, and that's the selling point. The sheer number of apps isn't nice because you can buy a ton of them, it's nice because you're much more likely to find something that will be extremely useful to you.

Blackberry is undoubtedly the best phone for general business use right now, but where it's falling behind compared to Apple and Google is in specialization for specific fields. A doctor, an accountant, and a musician all have vastly different needs, and a wide variety of apps ensures that a single phone can meet all of them even if the functionality may not be built into the OS by default.

Right now, why would a field sound mixer for motion pictures want a Blackberry over an iPhone? The iPhone simply has more utility, not because it has a better OS (I don't care for the iPhone OS) but because there are many specialized apps that allow the field mixer to use his phone to complement his job. There's a reason you can see more and more iPhones showing up on film sets and it's not because they're neat toys, but because they're the most useful phones for the business.

And that's why RIM really needs to start stepping up their game and getting more developers under their wing. Blackberry may still rule the corporate roost, but Apple and Google are making tremendous inroads in non-corporate workplaces that rely more on specialized information and tools than they do on email. Those apps may be in your "99% useless" segment, but for plenty of people I know they're invaluable, and I can't say I haven't wanted to switch quite a few times (I can't afford it right now, honestly).

tl;dr: The appeal of an app store isn't the 199,999 apps that do nothing for you, it's about that one app that does, and that one app is going to be different for everyone. RIM is missing that "one app" for a lot of markets, and it would help retention tremendously if they'd bring in developers who could cater to those markets without bogging down the OS itself.
    07-29-10 12:36 PM
    I wouldn't say Apple should worry, but I think OS6 will make RIM more than relevant in the exploding smartphone market.
    07-29-10 01:08 PM

...you're suggesting that the App World doesn't have useless apps and "toys"?

The only "useful" app that I have on my Droid X that Blackberry didn't have was Layer. It's pretty cool in finding places when you're in new areas. Oh and since I frequent happy hours, they have an app that uses GPS to find nearby happy hour deals going on that day, which is nice for after work functions in new places.

Other than that, most of the other apps I had on my Blackberry I just got on my Droid. I will say that the same app for Android runs a lot smoother (and incredibly fast) compared to how it ran on my BB.
    07-29-10 01:13 PM

At one point in my life, not to long ago i sat in the very same chair you are setting in. This Blackberry does everything i want. I have sport scores, i have weather, i have navigation, i have everything i need.

then i started looking and playing with the other phones.

and keeping you head in the "those phones are toys" colored sands are no longer valid.

Androids, Apples, and WebOS is just as much a tool of communications that Blackberry is.

Granted RIM might be at the front runner of the communications packs, but the gap is shortly closing.
    07-29-10 01:41 PM
    It doesn't matter that most of them are "toys or useless apps" because, even if you assume 99% of them are terrible, that's still around 2,000 good apps given Apple's current numbers.

And even if most of those aren't useful to you, some still will be, and that's the selling point. The sheer number of apps isn't nice because you can buy a ton of them, it's nice because you're much more likely to find something that will be extremely useful to you.

Blackberry is undoubtedly the best phone for general business use right now, but where it's falling behind compared to Apple and Google is in specialization for specific fields. A doctor, an accountant, and a musician all have vastly different needs, and a wide variety of apps ensures that a single phone can meet all of them even if the functionality may not be built into the OS by default.

Right now, why would a field sound mixer for motion pictures want a Blackberry over an iPhone? The iPhone simply has more utility, not because it has a better OS (I don't care for the iPhone OS) but because there are many specialized apps that allow the field mixer to use his phone to complement his job. There's a reason you can see more and more iPhones showing up on film sets and it's not because they're neat toys, but because they're the most useful phones for the business.

And that's why RIM really needs to start stepping up their game and getting more developers under their wing. Blackberry may still rule the corporate roost, but Apple and Google are making tremendous inroads in non-corporate workplaces that rely more on specialized information and tools than they do on email. Those apps may be in your "99% useless" segment, but for plenty of people I know they're invaluable, and I can't say I haven't wanted to switch quite a few times (I can't afford it right now, honestly).

tl;dr: The appeal of an app store isn't the 199,999 apps that do nothing for you, it's about that one app that does, and that one app is going to be different for everyone. RIM is missing that "one app" for a lot of markets, and it would help retention tremendously if they'd bring in developers who could cater to those markets without bogging down the OS itself.
    One of the best and most reason-filled posts in the history of Crackberry. BB fanboys keep falling back on failed talking points.
    07-29-10 04:37 PM
    I like toys, thus I like games and silly apps on my phone. I want my phone to be a toy first and a work device second. I actually want everything I own to be a toy first, and work related second, and that includes my computers, my cars, my TVs, my gardening tools, my glasses, my clothes, my house, my toys, my everything. I understand there are people who want everything to be work related first, and toy second. There are always Omega House guys who think they're better than us Delta House guys.

Ref BBOS 6.0: I think it looks like BB is heading in the right direction. They cleaned up the appearance and got rid of that Windows XP look it's been sporting for a long time. I do think there is good potential for them to take back some from Apple. I think previously, many dissatisfied iPhone owners would have just gone Droid, but now there is another viable alternative. Also, there isn't as much of a reason jump ship if you're already entrenched in the BB ecosystem. Cold hard fact is, technologically, BB was seriously old school (not that there's anything wrong with that, lot of people and lots of companies still use Win XP and Win2K). I'm sure Apple always thought of RIM as being really far back in the technological rear view mirror, but this new OS might have have them appear a bit larger now. Honestly, RIM is a bit late with this, but as they say, better late than never.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 07-29-10 at 09:08 PM.
    07-29-10 05:58 PM
    They just want to justify that their blackberry was a great purchase. Now that I have gone android I can't believe I stuck with blackberry for a year. I switched because of the lag and the 6 minute battery pulls I had to deal with. OS 5.0 increased the speed of my 8900 but as time wore on and my demands became higher in a smartphone. Blackberry wasn't cutting it.

I love blackberry because it introduced me to the smartphone world and it was a great entry level device. All the people saying all those apps on Android and Apple are useless apps haven't really dug deep into the OS has to offer. RIM is so behind its not even funny anymore. I am excited about Blackberry OS 6 but with the same screen resolution we are going to see the same apps that we saw on Blackberry OS 5.0. After jumping ship, I can finally download 35 mb podcasts and larger. I can finally see my emails in full html. Gmail is pushed. Web browsing is unbelievably fast. Multiple apps are downloaded and installed at once without a 6-8 minute reboot required each app being installed.

Blackberry is a great business phone but that's it. Its not for personal use IMHO.
    Last edited by darkmanx2g; 07-29-10 at 08:17 PM.
    07-29-10 08:12 PM
    I am pretty sure that OS 6.0 will be stable on any devices it is able to launch on. I just sold me iPhone 3G because OS 4.0 was horrible on the device and I didn't want to go through the pain to downgrade my OS. At least RIM is very reliable and they take there time when they release new software/hardware.
    07-29-10 08:18 PM
    I am a bit confused there... Why is it that all the BB hater are on this thread, saying how far behind BB is compared to the rest of the platforms out there... When this thread is about OS6... See the title... and you guys, just like me, have no clue how this new OS will be???
    Why don't you wait a few weeks and then at least you will be able to give REAL comment related to the current title.
    This is all rumors so far but you guys are already giving your opinion on the direction RIM is taking. WTF?
    07-29-10 08:18 PM
    lol @ the idea of apple caring about RIM. the media doesn't care, the market doesn't care, consumers don't care. This will be RIM's last stand and it is shaping up to be a miserable one. They're all geared up to release a line of phones that are marginally better than last years phones that were marginally better than the previous years.

At it's heart OS6 is the same as OS5 just like the media said OS5 was the same as 4. RIM can't seem to innovate anything and really believe they can just keep selling the same phones with different themes on them forever. The real sign to watch for is developer support. Dev's don't care about blackberry because well, they're underpowered and overused, there are so many different OS versions and platforms that a developer is better off not wasting their time on the blackberry platform because there is no money to be made. no apps = no customers, sure RIM's sales are fine now, but each quarter they're slipping and slipping and i'd be willing to bet with the 2ghz cpu android phones on the way BBM will be a long forgotten memory much like the wii is becoming. sort of hurts to say, i've loved blackberry for a long long time, but it's all true. RIM won't survive this war.
    07-29-10 08:45 PM
    I am a bit confused there... Why is it that all the BB hater are on this thread, saying how far behind BB is compared to the rest of the platforms out there... When this thread is about OS6... See the title... and you guys, just like me, have no clue how this new OS will be???
    Why don't you wait a few weeks and then at least you will be able to give REAL comment related to the current title.
    This is all rumors so far but you guys are already giving your opinion on the direction RIM is taking. WTF?
    I can't speak for anyone else, but my issue is when people downplay the benefits of another OS in order to defend their own. When Apple fans said "phones don't need multitasking" it was silly and short-sighted, but by the same token it's silly and short-sighted when people say "large app stores are nothing but fart apps anyway so they don't matter."

The people who are complaining about where RIM is, and where they appear to be going, are either current unsatisfied BB customers, former BB customers, or satisfied BB customers who would still like to see progress move a little faster.

Furthermore, the title of this article is patently absurd: OS 6 doesn't leapfrog iOS 4 in any way that Blackberries hadn't already had an advantage, and everything else is catchup. Apple is still going to be better in their areas and RIM will still be better in theirs, so I don't see a huge migration occurring either way as a result of this update.

So what we have here is a thread devoted to comparing smartphone OSes. What other kind of result would you expect?
    07-29-10 08:45 PM
    Ok i'll bite, since im bored lol

1. RIM is finally ready to play

For a while, RIM didn’t seem all that prepared to take on Apple and Google in the mobile market. The company’s BlackBerry devices looked obsolete and its software worked poorly when compared to iOS. But with BlackBerry 6, all that has changed. The software includes several new features, including social and multimedia integration, that make it a far more viable alternative to anything Apple offers. And given the size of its installed base, that could be a major issue for Apple as it attempts to steal BlackBerry owners away from RIM.
    The UI still pales in comparison to Apple, and im saying this from viewing practically every video from Driphter and Sal. Also how is it more viable than an iPhone or Android device for social/multimedia integration? If its because its missing calendar sync with said social sites, ok but what else? Is it BBM? Cause that sure as **** doesnt trump anything being closed and limited to only roughly 50 million people (1/10th the size of Facebook).

2. It’s what the enterprise has waited for

The enterprise has been the main benefactor of RIM’s BlackBerry for years. Companies that have wanted more functionality and productivity have opted for BlackBerry devices over anything else. But in recent years, those companies realized that BlackBerry OS is becoming obsolete. And they have started looking elsewhere for their mobile needs. With BlackBerry 6, RIM can finally bring those customers back. The software includes the same level of functionality for enterprise users, but adds some streamlined menus and other features to make it more usable. That alone should make enterprise users happy.
    Ok, i'll give you this. It does not address the issue of 2 things. One: Price. It costs a lot of money for widescale deployment of BB in an enterprise (devices, CALs, BES) and Two: users who simply DONT WANT TO USE A BB. Executives to regular cubicle drones have begged for iPhones/other platforms. I hate to quote Apple but they have penetrated enterprise very well.

Also i doubt BES 6 is going to add "super duper killer functionality" if most companies wanted BES they would more than likely be getting/using it already.

3. Familiar — to a point

The best aspect of BlackBerry OS throughout the years is that it has remained familiar. Similar to Windows, which has kept its basic functionality throughout the years, RIM’s BlackBerry OS resembles the same look and feel that customers have been working with all these years. BlackBerry 6 will follow that pattern with the same grid-like arrangement and a familiar menu design. But it will also move forward with fresh ideas, thanks to some new graphics built into the software that most users won’t be familiar with at first. There won’t be drastic differences, but they will be noticeable. And for the most part, they will only help users get more out of the software.
    Nothing i can disagree on here, its pretty common sense they aren't going to stray too far.

4. Ease of use is now where it should be

A major issue with BlackBerry OS prior to the announcement of the new version of the software is the general lack of usability when compared to the competition. On iOS, for example, users need only to tap around the screen to open the applications and services they want. In BlackBerry OS, it requires moving around the screen with the help of a trackpad, clicking on items, and sifting through menus to find the right functions. Luckily, RIM has streamlined that to make the operating system more usable than ever. That should make BlackBerry 6 a far more capable competitor to anything Apple offers for the foreseeable future.
    I almost choked on my pizza while reading that BS. Apple has the most streamlined UI that is the easiest to navigate, unless RIM completely mimics the iOS they will not be more capable than Apple...ever in this regards.

5. Developers will finally have something to like

Currently, Apple’s App Store has over 240,000 applications available to users looking for everything from social networking to productivity. The BlackBerry App World, on the other hand, has just a fraction of that. And so far, most of those apps are abysmal. With BlackBerry 6, RIM might have finally delivered an operating system that developers, and thus, users, will like. Not only is it better designed, but it makes it much easier for developers to create applications for it. Plus, if it’s as successful as RIM hopes, it won’t be long before developers start flocking to the software to capitalize on its growth.
    This is assuming RIM pulls off the biggest miracle cause right now its not happening. RIM has BlackBerry Widgets (these programs are designed via web standards like WebOS apps and run using the browser but can do API calls meaning it will run like a regular app) which is a HUGE step in the right direction. But RIMs tools are still lackluster, they still lack APIs (or holding them on purpose?) to make incredible feature rich apps, and lo-n-behold the storage issues looks to be a problem (meaning size > quality), as well as inconsistent hardware.They are still shipping devices like the new Pearl (a CONSUMER DEVICE) without basic OpenGL support, and i SEVERELY DOUBT the 9780 AND 9800 will. I bet my money its using the same Xscale 624mhz processor from the 9000 in 2008...

6. Browsing is finally worthwhile

Browsing on BlackBerry 5 is arguably the worst experience of any smartphone on the market. Scrolling around a page is a nightmare and simply trying to find content is practically impossible. According to RIM, it has addressed that problem with a new, far more functional browser. Of course, it wasn’t all RIM’s doing. The company acquired Torch Mobile last year for the sole purpose of using its WebKit service on the new version of BlackBerry OS. Upon doing so, it has drastically improved its competitive ability to take on Apple’s Safari browser and Google’s mobile Chrome browser.
    2 years late but better late than never. Where is the Adobe Flash at? I got it on my Evo, numerous Android devices are getting 2.2 (thus Flash) very VERY soon. For the wait (its gonna be longer i bet) this should be in it already...although i bet its because of the half-*** hardware RIM is putting in that the first device to sport it wont be out till next year unless RIM decides to use a server side client (think Skyfire).

The new mobile Safari and Google Chrome blow doors off, and in tests Mobile Safari is the fastest (using iPad scores which is clocked at 1ghz, while the iPhone is not and is only slightly slower to Android 2.2). Oh and they arent finished yet, Gingerbread will be out later this year as well as next years iOS5. Gotta keep it pushin in this game, playing catchup will make you a constant loser.

7. Say good-bye to long menus

RIM has added a key feature that could substantially improve its chances of competing with Apple’s iOS: context-based menus. Currently, BlackBerry owners will open a menu in BlackBerry 5 and find several options that they will need to sift through just to find what they’re looking for. In BlackBerry 6, the company has added a feature that examines where the user is in the software, and delivers only the items available in a menu that they might be looking for. Menus will still be very present on BlackBerry 6, but at least they will be easier to use.
    Good and bad, the bad is that it will lead to inconsistencies in the menus.

8. Going social

Like every other company in the mobile market, RIM has realized the value of providing social-networking features to its users. In BlackBerry 6, users will be able to view their Facebook news feed, see what’s happening on Twitter, and more. Users can also update their Facebook status and tweet messages to their Twitter followers. Exactly how well that functionality will work is anyone’s guess, but it’s certainly a good idea on RIM’s part to include it.
    Meh? I mean if you are some social ***** then this will be something magical for you, for everyone else this is nothing. Its also worth noting that this could be a potential deathpit for Microsoft who is relying HEAVILY on this.

9. The best of both worlds?

With RIM so heavily invested in both physical keyboards and now, thanks to the Storm2, touch screens, it’s not a stretch to say that the software might work with both technologies. If so, both consumers and enterprise customers should be excited. Those that wish to have the “next-generation” experience will find it with an all-touch-screen BlackBerry, while those who want something a bit more familiar will likely have it with a BlackBerry sporting a physical keyboard. BlackBerry 6 allows RIM to offer more options than ever. That’s something that Apple, at least to this point, has been unable to do.
    To say RIM is on the same level as Apple or Google/partners with their touchscreen is a slap to both companies face. RIM tried to tack the same experience from the keyboard onto the Storm, but that **** didnt work cause it doesnt translate well. Now we are at the rumors stating the true Storm 3 wont be running the same OS as regular BBs.

RIM is headed in a good direction with the 9800 (not my cup of tea though, **** sliders) and they need more, say the 9000 form factor but with a touchscreen/trackpad. I'd buy one and im being serious lol (if the processor doesnt suck)

10. Search will play central role

Search won’t top the list of reasons why customers will buy a BlackBerry 6 device, but rest assured that it will certainly put Apple on notice. For once, BlackBerry owners will be able to search for anything on their devices from within the new software. Users can also search the Web. Granted, Apple has been offering in-phone search for quite a while, but that doesn’t matter. It’s yet another example of RIM finding an Apple advantage and eliminating it. The more it does that with BlackBerry 6, the more Apple will need to worry.
    They will need to do a lot more to completely cut Apples advantage, but that wont be enough. Apple has an ENTIRE ECOSYSTEM, Mac - iTunes - Pocket Device. Google has the Cloud and is building its ecosystem off of it, Microsoft is looking to do the same as Apple AND Google! RIMs bleeding edge is...push email and BBM?????

RIM will never be able to stop Apple or Google, they just offer more with MORE CONNECTIVITY. Thats the name of the game with the smartphone age, and when everyone starts pushing exclusive services that RIM cant access will be when they make their true fall from grace.
    Last edited by devildrifterX; 07-29-10 at 09:00 PM.
    07-29-10 08:56 PM
    RIM will never be able to stop Apple or Google, they just offer more with MORE CONNECTIVITY. Thats the name of the game with the smartphone age, and when everyone starts pushing exclusive services that RIM cant access will be when they make their true fall from grace.
    I don't think they're really trying to stop them anymore. I think basically, what their strategy is to keep the user base they have in North America, and expand in the international market, where people either don't know better, or price is a significant factor in predominantly pre-paid markets. Blackberries on average are a lot cheaper than Droids or iPhones.

Seriously, to stop the Droid juggernaut, they're going to have to something that's really out of this world, not just add a browser and new start screen. I don't know what it will be, maybe it'll drive your car for you or something. Unless something like that comes out on BB, it really won't be something that wows the consumer.
    07-29-10 09:06 PM
    I don't think they're really trying to stop them anymore. I think basically, what their strategy is to keep the user base they have in North America, and expand in the international market, where people either don't know better, or price is a significant factor in predominantly pre-paid markets. Blackberries on average are a lot cheaper than Droids or iPhones.

Seriously, to stop the Droid juggernaut, they're going to have to something that's really out of this world, not just add a browser and new start screen. I don't know what it will be, maybe it'll drive your car for you or something. Unless something like that comes out on BB, it really won't be something that wows the consumer.
    i think you're right about the price difference, or at least the illusion of it. when i bought my 9000 it was $600, plus my at&t plan which was $49/mo. voice + $30/mo. data + $20/mo SMS. when i bought my nexus one in april it was $500, and my tmobile plan is $70/mo. all unlimited. this brings totals of blackberry bold ownership for 2 years $2,976, and nexus one ownership for 2 years at $2,180. quite the difference. those totals are buying the phone in full (which i always do). so if you got a subsidized price on your blackberry it's likely to have cost you more because the plan requirements are typically higher when you get the cheaper price. so at that. why does anyone want a blackberry?
    07-29-10 09:13 PM
    i think you're right about the price difference, or at least the illusion of it. when i bought my 9000 it was $600, plus my at&t plan which was $49/mo. voice + $30/mo. data + $20/mo SMS. when i bought my nexus one in april it was $500, and my tmobile plan is $70/mo. all unlimited. this brings totals of blackberry bold ownership for 2 years $2,976, and nexus one ownership for 2 years at $2,180. quite the difference. those totals are buying the phone in full (which i always do). so if you got a subsidized price on your blackberry it's likely to have cost you more because the plan requirements are typically higher when you get the cheaper price. so at that. why does anyone want a blackberry?
    In areas outside the US, the prices are astronomical with iphones/android devices going for upwards from 600+. Nokia is top dog because their devices range from incredibly expensive to incredibly cheap. RIM has zero advantage in China, unlike Indonesia who has BB fever.

RIM is prime to take Nokia's seat as they offer the most bang per buck. As a prepaid option you cant get better than a BB (low data usage = cheaper plan, cheap hardware, decent capabilities for the price). The offset of that is RIM will be selling dirt cheap like Nokia, pushing millions of headsets on razor thin margins.

As for the US, i couldnt tell you why anyone would want a BlackBerry anymore. They dont excel at anything anymore since RIM sat on their *** since 08
    07-29-10 09:30 PM

I absolutely agree. In my opinion i think RIM is going to try to lock up the prepaid game (its doing a bang up job i'll tell you that, if i was 16 id be getting one of those Virgin Mobile Curves for 299 and the 35 dollar plan lol) because thats where its BEST advantage is right now.
    07-29-10 09:35 PM
132 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD