Anyone use or heard of TAWKON? I don't know why I feel I must have this app, but I do. The question I'm asking is why is it not available through the BB App World on my phone but available through the blackberry website app world? Another question if I may, on crackberry when you look at the app and choose your device it says it is not compatible with my BOLD 9650, BUT when you go the App world on line it says it's compatible with EVERY device. Totally confused.

Here's the link to the online app world where it says every device is compatible.

BlackBerry App World - tawkon

Please tell me someone has the answer to this........
    07-27-10 08:50 PM
    Interesting app like a geiger counter for your phone. I would not spend a penny on it personally. But to each his own.
    07-28-10 07:05 AM
    I've never heard of it.
    07-28-10 07:09 AM
    Not another radiation detector. Now a bull**** detector would be a better app!
    Save your money.
    07-28-10 08:07 AM
    I know but I'm the type to want to try at leats. Did u watch the video? Idf I remember right good old sal reviewed this app and gave it a kinda postitive review.

So I guess no one has used it huh. My prob is that the online app world says its compatible with all devices but my mobile app "from bberry" doesn't list it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-10 08:13 AM
    Try using the [Get it Today] button. It's to the left of the price of the app near the top. From there, you can specify an e-mail address that your BB receives, so you should get a link to open it up on AppWorld on your BB.

Not sure if it'll work...I haven't tried it myself but I read about it. Good luck!
    07-28-10 02:24 PM
    The cool thing is the interface they designed, not so much what the app is used for...
    07-28-10 02:31 PM
    Try using the [Get it Today] button. It's to the left of the price of the app near the top. From there, you can specify an e-mail address that your BB receives, so you should get a link to open it up on AppWorld on your BB.

Not sure if it'll work...I haven't tried it myself but I read about it. Good luck!

Thanks. I did finally have online BB app world email me and then when it opened on my BB app on mobile it said current device is not supported.

I guess at least I learned or can assume, that if you don't see an app on your mobile app world, it's not available for your device.

Thanks!
    07-28-10 03:54 PM
    I contacted them a while ago and they said 9650 support was in the works and would take a couple months

07-28-10 04:18 PM
    Great thanks for the update!

07-28-10 04:19 PM
    Every now and then I seem to stumble on something related to this "tawkon" application – be it a forum thread or tech news or their Apple petition. While I agree the idea is clever with a nice user interface to top it off, I also tend to agree that the application itself has no real functionality and is a scam.

However there is one way to test out if tawkon really works; use it the first time to locate a "high radiation" and "green" area. Then conduct the following test: 1. charge your BlackBerry to 100%, 2. battery pull, 3. leave your BlackBerry in a "high radiation" area, 4. monitor battery drain. Once you have some data (preferably a full log of battery utilization until the device powers off on its own), do the test anew, but this time in a "green" area.

If tawkon really works, battery drain in the first test should be higher, because in a truly "high radiation" area the antenna must work harder in order to maintain good signal strength; this in turn will utilize more battery power. If however the differences in the tests are only marginal (say ~5% difference), then it is solid proof that tawkon is nothing but a pretty looking money sucker.

Anyone willing to shell out the $4.99 (or 9.99 regular price) they ask for this to conduct the tests? Would be interesting to see the results for sure!
    Last edited by HotGeekness; 07-29-10 at 04:22 AM.
    07-29-10 04:18 AM
    I will buy and test. That was a very interesting post. Once I get the notification that it is up and ok for the BOLD 9650, I ill do it. One thing, how do you find the highest radiation point? Using the app when I get the highest warning? Then charge, battery pull and leave there for how long to see if it is really draining fast? The whole day? Then what do I do about using a phone????? LOL
    07-29-10 08:58 AM
    we read with great interest the vibrant discussion on this forum (please keep it coming...), and the tawkon team wanted to provide some inputs:

tawkon is not a gimmick, its a patent pending technology and there's a lot of engineering under the hood. we put a lot of effort working with leading RF (Radio Frequency) engineers, in RF lab and dedicated RF equipment (base station simulators, un-echoic chambers, SAR machines) developing the technology for more then a year.

How does it work:
    - tawkon interfaces the cellular protocol stack (that manges the baseband) on the phone
    - we extract many RF parameters including the way the user uses his phone (speaker, Bluetooth, wired headset, etc)
    - all is injected to our algorithm while the output are dynamic SAR (specific absorption rate) of the phone
    - the application is being calibrated in RF lab on a SAR machine for every phone we support before launching to the market.

and now to the questions and challenges:
    - tawkon is currently supported on GSM/UMTS (9 BB models) only, we are still developing the algorithm for CDMA
    - BB 9650 is a CDMA phone and this is why its not available yet on the AppWorld
    - for people who are skeptical about the effects of radiation, I encourage you to visit our web The Debate
    - in addition to Blackberry, tawkon is available on Android (selected devices - Galaxy-S, Nexus-S, etc) and can be downloaded from the Android Market
    - in terms of the test that one of you just suggested... first as I mentioned before you need to get GSM device e.g. BB 9700, 9780, etc. and then I suggest that you test during a call as battery consumption (of the baseband) will be much higher in a call mode then in standby. in order to get the device to red the easiest will be use in a basement or somewhere else with poor reception.
    - no need to buy the application, you can get a freemium version for free (AppWorld or Mobihand)
    - will be happy to assist with any other questions you have.

Best,
    Amit Lubovsky
    Co-Founder tawkon
    02-28-11 08:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD