For those who miss the front page of CB.

As we get closer to the release of 9800 = release of OS6, with all the recent pics, clips and much speculation or rumour. I am confident that OS6 will be available to 256MB bb. Its either carrier push or leak and definitely we will see a hybrid out there, its a matter of time, thanks to those smart guys.

Of course, if you have heard, people are also speculating if there will be an OS6Lite version release to 256MB bb. I would say that is possible too. It all fall onto RIM if they make extra effort to please existing bb. Since it might be a lite version. Its either we get webkit integrated into OS5 or we get OS6 without webkit. For a lite version, I doubt we will have both world. If you have followed closely, I vividly recall seeing bb browser with tab running on OS5. Whether thats a webkit, we are not sure. If given a choice, I would prefer RIM give us webkit or a better browser than existing one since we can always get OS6 look alike theme. The existing stock theme is fine with me.

Much as I guess, the 9800 will definitely take up more ram than conventional keypad bb or storm. It make sense since its a combi of both. So, 256MB is a good to go? Yes, but be prepare to let go some of your downloaded apps to give way for space. We are looking at 50MB or less left for Storm2. If RIM can find ways to compress the OS till its almost same size as OS5 would be great but I doubt.

We also know that many bb soon to be EOL next month. I strongly feel and agree that RIM will/should concentrate refresh on a few existing flagship phones which are not 512MB ready. They are definitely bold and storm. We already see a 9300 coming soon with 256MB. This again is RIM strategy to continue meet the low end or entry level. Again, if you wonder why 256MB? As mentioned above, the device will likely get some updates later or if lucky, we will see it ship ready with special updates. Lets hope some of the stores training guys will leak more info to us. RIM main concentration now is to push the OS6 ready phones out asap in hope to regain some ground. It is also what they promise, a time line to get OS6 out. Again, why need to refresh existing phones? Logically, can't expect consumer to buy a phone with 50MB or less for apps.

So I urge existing STORM2 owners, don't feel dismay. We will get something definitely. Just wait patiently for another week or two and more info to come. Of course don't expect too much out of this transition period.

In any case, our storm2 pretty good and to me, its an almost perfect phone. Above are my few cents, may or may not come true. No hard feelings, do look and think positive in life.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers,
    Titus.
    Last edited by titusilvering; 07-27-10 at 12:50 PM.
    07-27-10 12:41 PM
    I totally agree!

And I can live with 50 MB for apps. I only use about 5. So whatever version of 6 is coming my way, I will be happy with my storm2 for quite a while.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-10 01:37 PM

For those who miss the front page of CB.

As we get closer to the release of 9800 = release of OS6, with all the recent pics, clips and much speculation or rumour. I am confident that OS6 will be available to 256MB bb. Its either carrier push or leak and definitely we will see a hybrid out there, its a matter of time, thanks to those smart guys.

Of course, if you have heard, people are also speculating if there will be an OS6Lite version release to 256MB bb. I would say that is possible too. It all fall onto RIM if they make extra effort to please existing bb. Since it might be a lite version. Its either we get webkit integrated into OS5 or we get OS6 without webkit. For a lite version, I doubt we will have both world. If you have followed closely, I vividly recall seeing bb browser with tab running on OS5. Whether thats a webkit, we are not sure. If given a choice, I would prefer RIM give us webkit or a better browser than existing one since we can always get OS6 look alike theme. The existing stock theme is fine with me.

Much as I guess, the 9800 will definitely take up more ram than conventional keypad bb or storm. It make sense since its a combi of both. So, 256MB is a good to go? Yes, but be prepare to let go some of your downloaded apps to give way for space. We are looking at 50MB or less left for Storm2. If RIM can find ways to compress the OS till its almost same size as OS5 would be great but I doubt.

We also know that many bb soon to be EOL next month. I strongly feel and agree that RIM will/should concentrate refresh on a few existing flagship phones which are not 512MB ready. They are definitely bold and storm. We already see a 9300 coming soon with 256MB. This again is RIM strategy to continue meet the low end or entry level. Again, if you wonder why 256MB? As mentioned above, the device will likely get some updates later or if lucky, we will see it ship ready with special updates. Lets hope some of the stores training guys will leak more info to us. RIM main concentration now is to push the OS6 ready phones out asap in hope to regain some ground. It is also what they promise, a time line to get OS6 out. Again, why need to refresh existing phones? Logically, can't expect consumer to buy a phone with 50MB or less for apps.

So I urge existing STORM2 owners, don't feel dismay. We will get something definitely. Just wait patiently for another week or two and more info to come. Of course don't expect too much out of this transition period.

In any case, our storm2 pretty good and to me, its an almost perfect phone. Above are my few cents, may or may not come true. No hard feelings, do look and think positive in life.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers,
    Titus.
    Sounds like your trying too hard to convenience yourself....
    07-27-10 01:59 PM
    To say the least. A device as weak as S2 was, needed a refresh on 10/29. Every OS VZW officially released was a flop. The 4xx Os line for 95x0 devices was by far the most stable.

But the fanboys are stuck with their devices for a while, so they have to tell themselves something so they can sleep at night.
    Last edited by plkcable; 07-27-10 at 02:16 PM.
    07-27-10 02:06 PM
    I'm a little confused....are you saying that you think all current storm 2 owners will get one or the other between a new web kit browser or OS6 without the new web kit?
    07-27-10 02:29 PM
    Why does RIM have to give the 9650 anything with OS6? By the time it is released, the Storm 2 will be one year old. The effort to give any 9650 devices OS6 would not make business sense.
    07-27-10 02:46 PM
    Why does RIM have to give the 9650 anything with OS6? By the time it is released, the Storm 2 will be one year old. The effort to give any 9650 devices OS6 would not make business sense.
    You mean 9550?
    07-27-10 02:51 PM
    My guess is neither. I highly doubt RIM would waste their time on a lite version of it. And don't expect anything from the carriers lol.
    07-27-10 02:59 PM
    In spite of what was originally mooted, it now looks as if OS6 will only be available on 512Mb devices.

We will only know this once the OS is released but that seems to be the way it looks right now.
    07-27-10 03:00 PM
    All I can say is if my 9550 does not get the os6 update I will be moving on to a different platform. I spent good money on this phone and if there not willing to update me to the newer version of the os....then cya later!

07-27-10 03:46 PM
    We don't know that a LITE version is even possible, so why get upset if you don't get one? My guess is that current 9550 owners will get a new browser with WebKit and that's it. Those that get the S2refresh (or S3 -- whatever they call it) get OS6. I don't see a problem with that. A perfect situation is that VZW or RIM will let you swap from your original S2 to the refresh, but we all know that's not going to happen. If you're not happy with that, then I don't know what will make you happy.

There are physical limitations preventing RIM from getting OS6 on a BB with less that 512mb on it. Being upset that your S2 isn't going to get OS6 is like me being upset that my PC from 1998 doesn't have the capabilities of running Windows7. Or (to be more relevant) I bought a Dell 3 years ago, but they started offering BluRay 2 years ago, and I expect them to give me one because they should have just released it when I bought my computer.

/rant
    07-27-10 04:00 PM
    And I can live with 50 MB for apps.
    I think everyone will agree 50MB is pretty OK to live with. But don't get too excited. If there's no official release, do hope for a hybrid.

Convenience? or convince? I am just giving a cent of what I think. It doesn't really mean it will come true. Anyway, I love my FREE storm2 the way it is. I don't mind they give me more freebies out of it.

But the fanboys are stuck with their devices for a while, so they have to tell themselves something so they can sleep at night.
    I wish I have all the money I want. That could make me sleep real good at night.

I'm a little confused....are you saying that you think all current storm 2 owners will get one or the other between a new web kit browser or OS6 without the new web kit?
    Yes, but thats not confirm. Maybe you end up getting nothing! Wahahaa. I am quite confident if the OS is about 200MB and S2 refresh specs is almost same as S2 except ram. Well, if nothing I said come true. There will be a lot arrows shooting at me. wahahaha. Guessing game.

You refer to the 9650 with 512MB? Having a chance get OS6?

My guess is neither. I highly doubt RIM would waste their time on a lite version of it. And don't expect anything from the carriers lol.
    You could be correct! Already mentioned. Its up to RIM to make or not and carrier to push or not.

In spite of what was originally mooted, it now looks as if OS6 will only be available on 512Mb devices.

We will only know this once the OS is released but that seems to be the way it looks right now.
    512MB is no doubt. I guess its 256MB pp are guessing during their free time.
    Pete6 EDIT: If I am guessing, I say so. Did I say I was guessing? This is the latest information I have and I trust my source.

All I can say is if my 9550 does not get the os6 update I will be moving on to a different platform. I spent good money on this phone and if there not willing to update me to the newer version of the os....then cya later!
    I bet you will!!! I wish you happy always. I always believe we should spend our money on expensive gadget wisely. I have no complaint since my storm2 is a free phone.
    07-27-10 04:09 PM
    I think everyone will agree 50MB is pretty OK to live with. But don't get too excited. If there's no official release, do hope for a hybrid.

Convenience? or convince? I am just giving a cent of what I think. It doesn't really mean it will come true. Anyway, I love my FREE storm2 the way it is. I don't mind they give me more freebies out of it.

I wish I have all the money I want. That could make me sleep real good at night.

Yes, but thats not confirm. Maybe you end up getting nothing! Wahahaa. I am quite confident if the OS is about 200MB and S2 refresh specs is almost same as S2 except ram. Well, if nothing I said come true. There will be a lot arrows shooting at me. wahahaha. Guessing game.

You refer to the 9650 with 512MB? Having a chance get OS6?

You could be correct! Already mentioned. Its up to RIM to make or not and carrier to push or not.

512MB is no doubt. I guess its 256MB pp are guessing during their free time.

I bet you will!!! I wish you happy always. I always believe we should spend our money on expensive gadget wisely. I have no complaint since my storm2 is a free phone.
    you post almost as much nonsensical jibberish as dave!
    07-27-10 04:15 PM
    Being upset that your S2 isn't going to get OS6 is like me being upset that my PC from 1998 doesn't have the capabilities of running Windows7./rant
    I don't think upset is the correct word.

I think no one will reject FREE stuff. I have a pc, a pentium 266mhz w 32MB ram and slowly over the years upgrade to another 256MB which is still alive today. Its really old now, can't view youtube but fine for office, mails and internet browsing.

I started running it with win95 back in 1998? It comes with a win98 FREE UPGRADE! I was pretty happy to get the free OS. Everyone like to get a taste of latest technology for FREE!!! So I installed the win98 which runs pretty good back then till Win2000 comes along and I get the FREE 1 year trial OS which works slightly differently from 98, more configurations to play around. Then it came Win ME? I skipped it since feedback wasn't that good and I went XP, FREE AGAIN!!! What can I ask for? The max I ever run on my 266mhz is win2k3 server for some development testing. Still looking good!!! But I figure I should end the 266mhz with XP. Switching down to 98 don't help in viewing youtube. The PC is simply too old.

Win7? wahaha. XP is max my 266mhz can go. It serve me well enough over the 10 years. Worth every cents. Be content!!!

Well what can I say? If we get it for FREE, why not? If we don't, it probably getting old and so long it works well and good, no reason to throw it away.

Btw, I got a 6.1 sound blaster card complete with speakers and an ATI TV card on my 266MHZ. Its still pretty advance! Wahahaah.
    07-27-10 04:25 PM
    you post almost as much nonsensical jibberish as dave!
    Yes, I think so!!! wahaha but dont bring in dave! because he yet to post anything here!!! wahahaaha.
    07-27-10 04:29 PM
    You mean 9550?
    Yup, I meant the 9550, Storm 2.
    07-27-10 04:40 PM
    I certainly hope the S2 gets something, but I had the odd thought that the reason it's rumored otherwise is because possibly RIM wants people to go buy a newer device to boost sales/market ratings. I don't follow DOW or Nasdaq etc so I may be off base; but what if Verizon stopped testing OS6 for the S2 because RIM told them to stop - otherwise people would be getting a free OS upgrade on a device already purchased. That doesn't help any numbers except "current subscribers", which we know is fairly substantial still. Again, just musing.
    And comparing smartphones to PC's isn't fair, if I wanted to run something that my PC currently can't do I can simply replace the necessary hardware. I can't change the amount of RAM in my S2; so it appears for the next year and a half I'll be doing some poor advertising for getting a BlackBerry just by the fact that I have one.
    Make no mistake - my S2 has no problems except for a slow and somewhat clumsy browsing experience whether using native or 3rd party. I would like that improved, so not getting OS6/OS6 lite is a bit of a letdown.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    07-27-10 05:24 PM
    my S2 has no problems except for a slow and somewhat clumsy browsing experience whether using native or 3rd party. I would like that improved, so not getting OS6/OS6 lite is a bit of a letdown.
    That everyone will agree! Otherwise its an almost perfect storm2!

ps. we haven't really see any memory info on touch screen phone except the 9800 which is of keypad and touchscreen. So if touchscreen phone required more memory than keypad phones.... then s2 will not get OS6!
    Last edited by titusilvering; 07-27-10 at 06:14 PM.
    07-27-10 05:45 PM
    I don't think upset is the correct word.

I think no one will reject FREE stuff. I have a pc, a pentium 266mhz w 32MB ram and slowly over the years upgrade to another 256MB which is still alive today. Its really old now, can't view youtube but fine for office, mails and internet browsing.

I started running it with win95 back in 1998? It comes with a win98 FREE UPGRADE! I was pretty happy to get the free OS. Everyone like to get a taste of latest technology for FREE!!! So I installed the win98 which runs pretty good back then till Win2000 comes along and I get the FREE 1 year trial OS which works slightly differently from 98, more configurations to play around. Then it came Win ME? I skipped it since feedback wasn't that good and I went XP, FREE AGAIN!!! What can I ask for? The max I ever run on my 266mhz is win2k3 server for some development testing. Still looking good!!! But I figure I should end the 266mhz with XP. Switching down to 98 don't help in viewing youtube. The PC is simply too old.

Win7? wahaha. XP is max my 266mhz can go. It serve me well enough over the 10 years. Worth every cents. Be content!!!

Well what can I say? If we get it for FREE, why not? If we don't, it probably getting old and so long it works well and good, no reason to throw it away.

Btw, I got a 6.1 sound blaster card complete with speakers and an ATI TV card on my 266MHZ. Its still pretty advance! Wahahaah.
    I certainly hope the S2 gets something, but I had the odd thought that the reason it's rumored otherwise is because possibly RIM wants people to go buy a newer device to boost sales/market ratings. I don't follow DOW or Nasdaq etc so I may be off base; but what if Verizon stopped testing OS6 for the S2 because RIM told them to stop - otherwise people would be getting a free OS upgrade on a device already purchased. That doesn't help any numbers except "current subscribers", which we know is fairly substantial still. Again, just musing.
    And comparing smartphones to PC's isn't fair, if I wanted to run something that my PC currently can't do I can simply replace the necessary hardware. I can't change the amount of RAM in my S2; so it appears for the next year and a half I'll be doing some poor advertising for getting a BlackBerry just by the fact that I have one.
    Make no mistake - my S2 has no problems except for a slow and somewhat clumsy browsing experience whether using native or 3rd party. I would like that improved, so not getting OS6/OS6 lite is a bit of a letdown.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    But we will get something... updates to OS5 at the very least. So people can't say that we will be getting the shaft. I see that as the same as going from Win98 to Win2000 to WinME. And genomos proved my point... if you want to run something that your PC can't do, you simply replace the necessary hardware. In this case, its not one piece in the whole, but the whole phone. That's the nature of cellphones, and something we all have to accept when we buy one. Maybe some day that will change, but for now that's the way it is. Until fairly recently, it wasn't possible (to my limited knowledge) to upgrade parts to a laptop. Now you can.
    07-27-10 07:05 PM
    Part swaps in laptops before recently were a test in patience; now it's a breeze. And there's quite a few people changing screens and speakers in their phones as we speak, so maybe there's performance upgrading in the future.
    07-27-10 07:22 PM
    I'll cross my fingers, but I'm not holding my breath! I do hope you're right tho.

07-27-10 07:47 PM
    Sounds like an awful lot of hopeful wishing here. Don't hope guys because you'll just end up disappointed and frustrated when it doesn't happen.
    07-27-10 08:16 PM

Silly, you get a new phone and a year later it should still be good as new? Ya know I just bought a new Samsung HDTV about a year ago, they now sell the model I bought with wifi and downloadable movies direct to the TV. Costs a couple hundred more than mine did then.

Should they send out technician or have me bring it back for free/cheap exchange because I decided to buy last year?

Ridiculous. You get what you paid for, and they warranty it from defects. They don't guarantee they aren't going to make something better a year from now.

Also, I doubt that I'll even go the S3 route, even with OS6. I have a spare S2 in perfect condition that I got for free (don't ask) and if/when the one I'm using breaks or gets looking to "used", I'll device switch to the spare and continue on.

My S2 does pretty much everything I need. Don't surf the web much with it, texting (sexting, lol), phone, email, a couple of GPS apps, MMS sending some pics etc.

This is a productivity tool, not my computing environment.

That might change with the Blackberry Pad if/when it comes out.
    Last edited by dkingsf; 07-28-10 at 08:10 AM.
    07-27-10 08:19 PM
    my 2 cents is if youre not happy with BlackBerry(RIM) then switch to a different platform of device and be happy with that....
    07-27-10 08:41 PM
    This topic hurts my head . . . a lot.

07-27-10 09:16 PM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD