Do you think Verizon will allow a small fee upgrade to the 'Odin Refresh' for Storm2 owners? I would personally like them to, but if not I guess I'll have to wait another year and a half, or open my own line.

Link: Verizon Putting an EOL on the BlackBerry Curve 8530 and Storm2 9550 in August? | BlackBerry Leaks - Blackberry news, software, videos, info, reviews, previews
    07-27-10 01:58 AM
    HELP!!! IT END OF WORLD!!!

Nothing new....already heard about it...better start stocking up your s2 parts b4 they extinct
    07-27-10 02:04 AM
    Wow - no offense but I think its kind of ****ty for Verizon to do that to the S2 it hasn't been out long enough - I mean **** the curve has been out for how long now?
    07-27-10 02:34 AM
    HELP!!! IT END OF WORLD!!!

Nothing new....already heard about it...better start stocking up your s2 parts b4 they extinct
    Yeah, I know it's nothing new, I'm not worried, but what I'm saying is Verizon should let us pay a small fee to upgrade to the Odin Refresh. I know it's my fault for upgrading to the Storm 2 in February, but that was the best BB available from Verizon, at least in my opinion. Idk, I guess we'll see what happens, but it would be nice if I could just pay $100, hand in my Storm 2 and get the Refresh.
    07-27-10 07:34 AM
    Yeah, I know it's nothing new, I'm not worried, but what I'm saying is Verizon should let us pay a small fee to upgrade to the Odin Refresh. I know it's my fault for upgrading to the Storm 2 in February, but that was the best BB available from Verizon, at least in my opinion. Idk, I guess we'll see what happens, but it would be nice if I could just pay $100, hand in my Storm 2 and get the Refresh.
    That would be nice...in a perfect world...but I doubt they will do that. Maybe the Storm2s can be "refurbished" with the extra memory and BB6 and shipped back to the customer??
    07-27-10 07:44 AM
    Wow - no offense but I think its kind of ****ty for Verizon to do that to the S2 it hasn't been out long enough - I mean **** the curve has been out for how long now?
    why would it be a ****ty thing to do, i think the technology is falling behind and we can all hope for a new device to come from blackberry in this case. plus october is coming very fast, its almost been a year.
    07-27-10 08:29 AM
    I'm going to wait things out. Got my new in box S2 off ebay few months ago. With the latest OS and Mr. Lyricidal I'm in no hurry plus I'm not tied down contract wise.

If the S3 or whatever it's called by then is worth it I will get it, if not I will shop around.
    07-27-10 08:33 AM
    Seriously.

We all agree that we want RIM to evolve faster to catch up with those droids (and apples). So we should not complain that they actually do, and at a fast pace at the moment.

I agree that they should make some special upgrade offers, but i doubt they will do.

I also just got my Storm2 in May and hopefully I can live with it (with OS6 in some form or not) past the lifetime of the Storm refresh (since it is said to be the same body).

Eventually they must come up with a fullscreen touch in a new design and that I will be looking forward to.
    07-27-10 08:41 AM
    I doubt that opinion is shared by the average consumer who mostly want the "latest and greatest". My S2 is fine, but I've no problem with a newer model hitting store shelves in the near future, despite my not being eligible for an upgrade until Jan 20011. By the time I'm eligible, most of the kinks will have been worked out of the OS update, too.
    07-27-10 09:03 AM
    I doubt that opinion is shared by the average consumer who mostly want the "latest and greatest". My S2 is fine, but I've no problem with a newer model hitting store shelves in the near future, despite my not being eligible for an upgrade until Jan 20011. By the time I'm eligible, most of the kinks will have been worked out of the OS update, too.
    Well Big Red does offer an annual upgrade which my annual will be next month in August so .. I dunno whats next. I DO NOT want to be on an unsupported EOL phone though
    07-27-10 09:23 AM
    EOL doesnt mean unsupported btw....its a sales term mostly, support will continue for quite a bit. I wouldnt look for an official update from VZW anyway, EOL or not
    07-27-10 09:30 AM
    Well Big Red does offer an annual upgrade which my annual will be next month in August so .. I dunno whats next. I DO NOT want to be on an unsupported EOL phone though
    You misunderstand the meaning of EOL.
    07-27-10 09:33 AM
    End of Life in Tech World means unsupported I still don't want a phone that they aren't going to put out accessories for
    07-27-10 09:53 AM
    Sort of ambivalent. I love that RIM is stepping up to the plate but hate that I extended my contract for this phone. Not like I was going to leave Verizon though so ehh. Cheap upgrade fee would be nice but I'm not holding my breath.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-10 09:54 AM
    End of Life in Tech World means unsupported I still don't want a phone that they aren't going to put out accessories for
    its been out for 9 months almost, what accessories are they going to come up with that they havent...
    07-27-10 10:35 AM

I would have to say that's what it means. Users in my company including myself, turned in the S2. No support means just that.
    07-27-10 10:50 AM
    Ok let's all mail in our useless s2 to rim HQ in canada? Attention to RIM CEO. Please indicated your request to upgrade ram.
    Wahahaha.

07-27-10 10:58 AM
    Ok let's all mail in our useless s2 to rim HQ in canada? Attention to RIM CEO. Please indicated your request to upgrade ram.
    Wahahaha.

LMAO.. No but the problem is it's RIMS way of forcing you to upgrade. The Same with Microsoft. In 2013 Microsoft plans to say Goodbye to Windows XP. Doesn't mean itll just stop working but in order to get support your going to have to pay Microsoft a good amount of money to patch it.

I dunno maybe its just me.
    07-27-10 11:38 AM
    are the storm 1 and tour still supported?
    07-27-10 11:41 AM
    I would have to say that's what it means. Users in my company including myself, turned in the S2. No support means just that.
    Show me proof that there will be no support after Aug 15th.
    07-27-10 11:42 AM
    LMAO.. No but the problem is it's RIMS way of forcing you to upgrade. The Same with Microsoft. In 2013 Microsoft plans to say Goodbye to Windows XP. Doesn't mean itll just stop working but in order to get support your going to have to pay Microsoft a good amount of money to patch it.

I dunno maybe its just me.
    Maybe it's just me; but we always talk on these forums that electronics, smartphones included, are outdated by the time they come out. We also expect big improvements. Yet the Storm2 is fast approaching its one year anniversary and all we do is whine that we can't upgrade it? by the time BB6 or LTE comes out, the phone will be a year old. We have the choice of keeping it or buying the newer model.
    People say they will jump to the iPhone 4 or Droid X, both of which just came out, less than a year after the 3rd Gen iPhone or the Droid, but we don't hear them complaining; they are happy to get a new and improved model. Why is it BB owners don't have that same attitude? If we want bigger, better, faster, then we should certainly expect to upgrade after a year. I like having the latest model, but I can't afford to buy everything that comes out. My NE2 is up in June 2011, and at that time I will buy the lastest and greatest that is available; knowing full well that in a few months something else will come out. Just Asking.
    07-27-10 11:57 AM
    Verizon has to look out for itself..... The competition is putting out phones now that blow S1 & 2 away and apparently RIM doesn't care and keeps falling further behind. VzW is going to go where the money is.

07-27-10 02:26 PM
    so if the storm 2 is going to be EOL and if 256MB isn't enough to support OS6, will the storm 2 get any more OS updates? or are we stuck with .713 as being the last OS upgrade available for the S2
    07-27-10 03:54 PM
    VZW also dropped the death hammer on the Droid, it's about to see the EOL.

That would be because the Droid 2 is due out by the end of Summer...since that's been out about as long as the S2 this would imply that RIM is ramping up their S2 replacement so VZW is simply clearing out inventory to make room. Probably the rumored S2 "refresh" with the hardware it needs to run OS6.
    07-27-10 07:07 PM
    If VZW is going to EOL the Storm 2 how about reduing the Advanced Device ETF down from $350? It seems kind of crappy that if I get penalized for leaving beofre 2 years they don't have to support the device my length of the contract especially when I buy the device at launch.
    07-28-10 05:19 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD