I cringe as I write this since I know it sounds a little bit like BS but....

Yesterday was HOT and as I was walking to a friend's house I was talking on my Storm(1) and sweating on it... profusely... and actually got some water damage as a result. My screen is stained and my bottom 4 buttons do not work. So I went to Verizon to see what my options were.
    As I walk in a dude wearing a suit comes in looking all serious and the store manager seemed to be sucking up to him. When I finished talking to tech support (my only options are upgrade now for the 2 year price or get an insurance replacement... Just a storm1 mind you, all these stories about getting an insurance upgrade to a storm2 is total BS) I started agonizing over what I should do and noticed that the guy (who was now working a desk) had a clipboard with a checklist on "store health" or whatever... obviously a guy from corporate doing a checkup on the store! So I decided to pick his brain a little.

according to him:

1) ALL blackberry2 devices will run OS6. Storm2, Curve2, Tour2 (aka bold). I insisted that I read that they stopped testing the storm2. He said, no it will run on the storm2.
    2) LTE will be out by the end of the year. NO NEW PHONES WILL BE RELEASED FOR LTE UNTIL 2011. However: Any SIM capable phone will be able to run on the LTE network. This sounded dodgy to me so I asked him if one didn't need a different hardware antenna for it? He said no. soooo..... make of that what you will.
    3) He has ZERO, ZIP, ZILCH, NADA information on the Storm3. As far as he's concerned it doesn't exist.
    4) VZW iPhone is pure speculation at this point.

So I decided to get the DroidX. All NYC stores are sold out... next shipment comes in Aug 4.
    So now I have to get an insurance replacement... gonna be the worst 50 bucks I ever spent :-(
    I'm gonna open this sucker up and see if I can scratch off the the corrosion... ensurion told me I can still get a replacement if I do so so whatever... Anybody know some way to remove corrosion? Rub lemon juice on it or something?
    07-26-10 10:58 AM

Yesterday was HOT and as I was walking to a friend's house I was talking on my Storm(1) and sweating on it... profusely... and actually got some water damage as a result. My screen is stained and my bottom 4 buttons do not work. So I went to Verizon to see what my options were.
    As I walk in a dude wearing a suit comes in looking all serious and the store manager seemed to be sucking up to him. When I finished talking to tech support (my only options are upgrade now for the 2 year price or get an insurance replacement... Just a storm1 mind you, all these stories about getting an insurance upgrade to a storm2 is total BS)
    Mmm. Well I do not know about the insurance BS, but the way I got the upgrade to my S2 was that after 4 replacements, used certified S1s, I called and reminded the rep, politely, "I do not care about a DROID or about a new phone, but please understand that your company keeps sending me an used product that doesn't work (different reasons each time), all I want is the next model, the S2, which IS NEW, not used" After a 5 minute hold she told me no problem and send me a brand new S2.

Now about what happen to you at the store...well I went to a verizon store yesterday to get an Otterbox case (and mind you the reps got no idea they have 3 different cases for the S2 and he also told me "they made one for the S2??", plus when I open the case he said "what are all of those things??", he wasn't aware that it was the case with 3 different parts, man oh man). I asked another rep about the OS 6 and same thing that they are saying on this forums, late July or next month, and he is aware there's a new BB is coming out on Sept he is not sure which one it is or the name, that's what he said, and no he is not sure but he thinks the OS 6 might run on S2.

By the way I hope you and the person you meet are right about the S2 running OS6. And sorry about what happen to your phone.
    Last edited by sithlrdvad; 07-26-10 at 11:22 AM.
    07-26-10 11:20 AM
    The next gen storm is suppose to have a new surepress. That we have yet to hear from anyone. RIM is particularly proud of its own unique technology and I don't think they will let go the surepress and admit defeat. The leak we seen so far didn't mention surepress at all. I strongly believe that will be the 4G or LTE device.

While the production line is still on going, with the market getting hot with better newer smart phones, RIM will simply introduce refresh device with better specs to run on OS6. Reason is simple. I have my base the bb service, if I can't come up with new phone design (actually what kind of bb design you think they can come up with?), then I will need something better than 1-2 years ago to continue attract consumer. Thats why they up the ram and processor a little bit. However, only touch screen phone will get the highest specs and design concentration.

OS6 is not a totally new OS, it is develop on RIM base OS, enhanced to incoporate new packages new interface. 256MB device will definitely get OS6. The 9800 OS6 will need more ram due its both a keypad and touch phone. As much speculated, worst case scenario, 256MB device after installing the core and addon will be left with 50MB? or less to run. Thats why refresh device will still have a market. My production line isn't stopping. I just add ram to jack up the price a little if i have to. RIM also noted that the apps store will be growing. Apps store have its own market value. Looking at existing 256MB phone, it is clear that the phone need more ram in the future to come.

The existing 256MB phones will be a good testimony, providing feedback to existing and other consumer how good the phone is running OS6. That will inject some positive into RIM market. Remember, its a whole new game for smart phone era, we want retain user, we want impress user, we want our stock price to go up. We want to capture the non-business user.

Thats what I think after seeing the recent hoohaa around.
    Last edited by titusilvering; 07-26-10 at 01:08 PM.
    07-26-10 01:03 PM
    He was wearing a suit so it must be true. Was it poly/rayon though?
    That means it wasn't expensive so he's probably lying.
    07-26-10 01:10 PM
    He was wearing a suit so it must be true. Was it poly/rayon though?
    That means it wasn't expensive so he's probably lying.
    Top grade silk or cotton.
    07-26-10 01:27 PM
    I think what people need to keep in mind is that the rumor we have heard is that VERIZON has stopped testing of OS 6.0 on the Storm 2. From RIM's perspective, SURE, there is a 6.0 out there that works on Storm 2. But Verizon may have made the decision that it doesn't run well enough for them to release it. So while RIM may have fulfilled "their end of the deal" by providing the OS, that doesn't mean it works well enough to release it for the Storm 2.

Having said that, what's the likelihood of getting just web kit without 6.0? I could live with that for a few more months.
    Last edited by French; 07-26-10 at 02:44 PM.
    07-26-10 01:31 PM
    I think what people need to keep in mind is that the rumor we have heard is that VERIZON has stopped testing of OS 6.0.
    My question is...

Stopped testing OS6 = OS6 failed on 256MB?
    07-26-10 02:16 PM
    I don't think it "failed". IMO what Verizon means is that doesn't run well. Slow, not enough room for apps, etc...meaning their top of the line touch screen BB will become a failure. And customers will complain and etc.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-26-10 02:34 PM
    My question is...

Stopped testing OS6 = OS6 failed on 256MB?
    On a touchscreen only device, I'm thinking it's a very real possibility. For non touch screen devices 256 megabytes might be enough memory for 6.0. But for a device that is all touchscreen, I'm betting 256 isn't enough and that's why we are hearing rumors that Verizon has stopped testing it on the Storm 2. We haven't heard rumors they've completely stopped testing it (across all devices), just stopped testing on Storm 2.
    07-26-10 02:46 PM
    I would totally believe no LTE phones until 2011. If you don't even get the network up until Q4 of this year, what good would it do to have a phone that supports it out before then? Maybe they're gonna try some laptop cards and what not so that they can get the network stable before bringing out a phone. With that being the case, I really doubt that AT&T is gonna be as far behind the LTE "race" as everyone may have thought.
    07-26-10 03:23 PM
    I do believe that if a device is LTE compatible, it is also backward compatible to run in non-LTE areas, so having devices out at the end of the year should not be an issue.

Personally, I highly doubt 6 will run on the 2, but I've already resigned myself to buying a new phone anyway. I feel sorry for the OP here...it's a "don't shoot the messenger" kind of thing. If this was your first experience with this kind of thing, then you might not know that the vast majority of these people are CLUELESS. The only time they get information is when it's clear, concise, contracted to happen and has a date with it. Otherwise, the carrier does everything they can to keep the rumor mill down to a minimum. They don't want reps going around saying "yeah, we're going to come out with such and such no later than xx/xx" because that can hurt sales in the current moment not to mention, **** of loads of customers when it doesn't happen. That, and the fact that rumors expand with population. In other words, a well-meaning rep tells you a fact that he knows is confirmed "Yeah, the 3 will be out no later than June, 2011 and has 1 GB of memory." You go and tell your friends who in turn tell their friends who then post stuff here and on other websites and next thing you know, the 3 is coming out next month and has 10 GB of memory!

I was photographing a conference one day and the keynote speaker was some Apple guru. During the course of the cocktail reception that night, he asked me to take a photo of him with his iPhone, with his folks who were in town visiting. The room was quite dark and at the time, I knew nothing about iPhones (I had my newly released, Storm 1 at the time). When the photos came out black and I stupidly asked "did the flash go off?" and was told "there IS no flash!" I pulled out my S1 and said "Oh...really? NO FLASH? You need one of these!" holding up my phone. There was a guy next to me who all but fell on the floor laughing. Turns out, he was a senior VP of marketing for VZW. I remember him putting his hand on my shoulder and saying "You are my official Poster Boy for the Storm 1." I chatted at length with him and was shocked to realize I knew more about what was going on then he did! So, there ya' go...they are clueless.

I would totally believe no LTE phones until 2011. If you don't even get the network up until Q4 of this year, what good would it do to have a phone that supports it out before then? Maybe they're gonna try some laptop cards and what not so that they can get the network stable before bringing out a phone. With that being the case, I really doubt that AT&T is gonna be as far behind the LTE "race" as everyone may have thought.
    07-26-10 06:46 PM
    2) LTE will be out by the end of the year. NO NEW PHONES WILL BE RELEASED FOR LTE UNTIL 2011. However: Any SIM capable phone will be able to run on the LTE network. This sounded dodgy to me so I asked him if one didn't need a different hardware antenna for it? He said no. soooo..... make of that what you will.
    For the record, you will need different hardware - your phone will need to have an LTE radio in it.
    07-27-10 09:49 AM
    Horses don't talk.
    07-27-10 10:37 AM
    Horses don't talk.
    Mr. Ed did...
    07-27-10 10:58 AM
    Mr. Ed did...
    You know, when I wrote that, I knew someone was gonna say that...

REAL horses don't talk
    07-27-10 11:49 AM
    With as little as we are hearing out of RIM... don't think a "suit" that walked into a VZW store that really KNEW anything would just start telling a customer everything he knew.

Guy might have been from corporate, but just guessing like the rest of us.
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 07-29-10 at 04:56 PM.
    07-27-10 02:40 PM
    could have been talking about that rumored s2 refresh running os6?
    07-27-10 02:51 PM
    Since I know you are all dying to know how things worked out for me...
    Opened the sucker up and tried to clean it... didn't work...
    Bit the bullet, paid the deductible... another refurbed storm... booooo....
    So I plug it into my laptop to get the backup and the thing freaks out... error 551 or something and then shuts down and refuses to turn on until I disconnect it.
    Call assurion again and explain the situation. Finish it up with a plead to actually get a *new* phone this one instead of yet another refurb. The rep apologizes as he doesn't have any new ones, but how about a shiny new storm2 instead!

I spent the first half an hour going through every category in the app world looking for useful free stuff... I'm still nowhere near filling up this baby's RAM :-D
    07-30-10 06:02 AM
    Since I know you are all dying to know how things worked out for me...
    Opened the sucker up and tried to clean it... didn't work...
    Bit the bullet, paid the deductible... another refurbed storm... booooo....
    So I plug it into my laptop to get the backup and the thing freaks out... error 551 or something and then shuts down and refuses to turn on until I disconnect it.
    Call assurion again and explain the situation. Finish it up with a plead to actually get a *new* phone this one instead of yet another refurb. The rep apologizes as he doesn't have any new ones, but how about a shiny new storm2 instead!

I spent the first half an hour going through every category in the app world looking for useful free stuff... I'm still nowhere near filling up this baby's RAM :-D
    A happy ending
    07-30-10 11:46 AM
    So the donk told you can use a 3G antenna to access LTE? Good luck with that
    07-30-10 02:04 PM
    Decided today to ask a friend from Verizon to hook me up with an OS6 release date or at least try to find out some info on it that we might not know, got absolutely nothing. Either keepin the info on lock or RIM is keeping all of it a pretty big secret and there was nothing TO find out which is more likely. oh well, worth a try. guess none of us will know til they decide to let us
    07-30-10 09:19 PM

As I walk in a dude wearing a suit comes in looking all serious and the store manager seemed to be sucking up to him. When I finished talking to tech support (my only options are upgrade now for the 2 year price or get an insurance replacement... Just a storm1 mind you, all these stories about getting an insurance upgrade to a storm2 is total BS) I started agonizing over what I should do and noticed that the guy (who was now working a desk) had a clipboard with a checklist on "store health" or whatever... obviously a guy from corporate doing a checkup on the store! So I decided to pick his brain a little.

according to him:

1) ALL blackberry2 devices will run OS6. Storm2, Curve2, Tour2 (aka bold). I insisted that I read that they stopped testing the storm2. He said, no it will run on the storm2.
    3) He has ZERO, ZIP, ZILCH, NADA information on the Storm3. As far as he's concerned it doesn't exist.
    4) VZW iPhone is pure speculation at this point.

So I decided to get the DroidX. All NYC stores are sold out... next shipment comes in Aug 4.
    So now I have to get an insurance replacement... gonna be the worst 50 bucks I ever spent :-(
    I'm gonna open this sucker up and see if I can scratch off the the corrosion... ensurion told me I can still get a replacement if I do so so whatever... Anybody know some way to remove corrosion? Rub lemon juice on it or something?
    Your worst mistake is VZW. I am with Sprint, and have never had any trouble getting a phone replaced. Nor did I have to pay an outrageous amount to get a phone in the first place. VZW, and AT&T can both kiss my a**.
    08-01-10 09:52 AM
    LOL, different strokes for different folks, I guess. Personally, I think the only thing worse than Sprint is AT&T. Kinda makes you wonder why VZW always ranks at the top for customer satisfaction, doesn't it?

Sprint has a very limited selection of phones, too. So, if they happen to have the device you're interested in, you luck out, but it's a very narrow window. Oh yeah, I've been with VZW for about 12 years now and I've never, ever, EVER, had a problem with them replacing a device, should I need it.

Your worst mistake is VZW. I am with Sprint, and have never had any trouble getting a phone replaced. Nor did I have to pay an outrageous amount to get a phone in the first place. VZW, and AT&T can both kiss my a**.
    08-01-10 12:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD