Hi,

I bought a Verizon Bold 9650 in June when they first came out. About 3 weeks after I received my blackberry, I started having some alarm issues. The issues are:

1) The alarm goes off, but no sound nor vibration is produced (it only shows the Snooze/Dismiss Dialogue)

2) Occasionally, it will start sounding off and vibrating 5 minutes after the alarm is scheduled to go off.

3) The same symptoms from #2 apply when i press "snooze"

This has been very inconvenient as I can no longer trust my Blackberry Alarm. I took the phone to verizon, they found no problem with it, so they sent me a replacement after they wiped the phone and found that the problem persisted. Unfortunately, the new phone I received has the same exact problem!

The only factor Verizon didn't consider, which I realized a few days ago, is that I have a Sandisk 16GB microSD card that I manually added. I don't see why this should cause this alarm problem (and when I replace the 16GB card with the default 2gb card, the problem doesn't go away)

I have the latest software and have repeatedly reformatted the memory cards and wiped the device.

Is anyone else experiencing this same problem? Anybody have any suggestions?

Another issue I have been having is that when I try to play music it will sometimes say "Cannot play music while alert is active". I can get around this by opening and closing the camera, but I was hoping there is a more permanent fix.

Thanks
    07-25-10 03:29 PM
    I've been experiencing the same thing, say I set my alarm for 0530 and my snooze option is 10 mins, my alarm doesn't go off until 0540, and if I hit snooze sometimes it goes off again sometimes it doesn't.

I have no resorted to either a- setting 2 alarms, one with the clock and one on the calendar or b- simply using the calendar to set my alarm's

thinking this is a bug
    07-25-10 03:31 PM
    I had a problem with my alarm also. My alarm would vibrate only if I had my keyboard locked when I plugged my device in. I've never had a problem with the alarm sounding properly when the keyboard is unlocked when I plug the device in. When I say the keyboard is locked, I mean manually locking it with the "A" key or the lock button on the top left of the device. I can't explain it but it works for me. Good luck & oi hope you resolve your issues.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-25-10 05:08 PM
    I had a problem with my alarm also. My alarm would vibrate only if I had my keyboard locked when I plugged my device in. I've never had a problem with the alarm sounding properly when the keyboard is unlocked when I plug the device in. When I say the keyboard is locked, I mean manually locking it with the "A" key or the lock button on the top left of the device. I can't explain it but it works for me. Good luck & oi hope you resolve your issues.

So if I read that right (been a long day, could be wrong) if you plug it in and then unlock the keyboard you have no issues with the alarm?
    07-25-10 05:10 PM
    I've been having the same problem... I now have to use an actual alarm clock to use.

You would think a 4 -500$ device could perform such a simple task such as an alarm clock.
    07-25-10 08:56 PM
    Hi,

I bought a Verizon Bold 9650 in June when they first came out. About 3 weeks after I received my blackberry, I started having some alarm issues. The issues are:

1) The alarm goes off, but no sound nor vibration is produced (it only shows the Snooze/Dismiss Dialogue)

2) Occasionally, it will start sounding off and vibrating 5 minutes after the alarm is scheduled to go off.

3) The same symptoms from #2 apply when i press "snooze"

This has been very inconvenient as I can no longer trust my Blackberry Alarm

Thanks
    I have the same trouble with my Bold alarm and i get no alarm at preset time
    a manual battery pull seemed to correct it. i found the other hard start cause this alarm issue,, hard to trust this alarm ??
    07-26-10 01:29 AM
    Update to the .810 os and see if it fixes it

07-26-10 02:34 AM
    Hard resets and battery pulls have been unsuccessful. I don't think 5.810 is available on verizon yet. Any idea when it might be released? Hopefully RIM is on top of this, but the verizon rep said he hasn't seen any other instances of this problem... so that is not a good sign.
    07-26-10 07:11 PM
    No need to wait for VZ to release it, nor will they necessarily release .810 at all.
    07-26-10 07:13 PM
    So if I read that right (been a long day, could be wrong) if you plug it in and then unlock the keyboard you have no issues with the alarm?

I make sure the keyboard is unlocked then plug it in. When I do this, the alarm works flawlessly.

07-26-10 10:15 PM
    Although that works, it would be nice not to have my alarm depend on me remembering to unlock the phone before I go to bed.
    07-28-10 06:35 PM
    I make sure the keyboard is unlocked then plug it in. When I do this, the alarm works flawlessly.

thanks for the tip!
    07-28-10 07:24 PM
    I have not had any problem with mine. I even wake up in the middle of the night and play games. I don't use bedside. Is that maybe the difference?

07-28-10 07:40 PM
    I have a similar problem. I always used to turn my storm off when I went to bed and if I had an alarm set it would turn itself on at the right time and the alarm would go off. With the bold the phone turns itself on like it should and the screen shows the alarm going off but the phone doesn't make any noise.

This really annoys me because one of my favorite features on the blackberry was being able to turn off the phone and still have my phone go off in the morning. Now I have to leave my phone on in bedside mode for my alarm to work properly and I don't like overcharging my phone.
    07-28-10 08:23 PM
    First off, you can't overcharge your phone.

Secondly, you don't have to put your phone in bedside - I never do.

Thirdly, why couldn't you use the auto on/off in options to turn your phone on just before your alarm goes off?

07-29-10 12:04 AM

How about this though, I use password lock, how will that affect this trick?
    07-29-10 05:13 AM
    i just played with the alarm, if you lock it b4 u go to sleep the alarm thing comes up on the phone but the alarm doesn't sound. It sounds 10 minutes later for me and I think its because my snooze time is set for 10 minutes. If you leave the phone unlocked there is no issue.

What a pain.
    Last edited by RENEGADE3E; 07-30-10 at 08:21 AM.
    07-30-10 08:10 AM
    Do you hit snooze in your sleep?

07-30-10 08:13 AM
    Funny you say that, I was actually testing it just now to see if i was half asleep hitting the snooze but no the problem is still there...

Anyway I called verizon and they're shipping me a new phone, will be here by Tuesday. Hope this crap doesn't happen again, this is going to be my 5th blackberry already!
    07-30-10 09:07 AM
    The problem might also be theme related. Yesterday I started using a new theme and just randomly wanted to check my alarm settings. When I got to the appropriate screen it told me my alarm was not recognizable. I then switched to a different mp3 file and tried again. Eventually I did a reboot and got it to recognize the mp3 file I like to use. That alarm went off right on time this morning at 04:15...
    07-30-10 12:57 PM
    ok so i received my refurb from verizon bc of the alarm issue, guess what, this one has the same problem. Hit the lock key before the alarm goes off and the alarm is silent without any vibration or sound...Don't hit the lock key and the alarm goes off as it is supposed to...

I will call them tomorrow regarding this matter. This is ridiculous. Thanks RIM.
    08-03-10 08:53 PM
    ok so i received my refurb from verizon bc of the alarm issue, guess what, this one has the same problem. Hit the lock key before the alarm goes off and the alarm is silent without any vibration or sound...Don't hit the lock key and the alarm goes off as it is supposed to...

I will call them tomorrow regarding this matter. This is ridiculous. Thanks RIM.
    Yep! I tested this theory this morning after I woke up a half hour late, even .810 has this issue
    08-03-10 08:56 PM
    This blows me away. I don't have this problem. I always lock my bb (on top not a key) and never have this problem. I also do not have a password on my BB. Could that have anything to do with it?
    08-03-10 09:22 PM
    I was going to say that it's probably one of the (gratuitously) numerous bugs in .732... I never had that problem with .699, and the .810/.857/.862 hybrid I'm using doesn't have that problem either... Hmmm...
    08-03-10 09:26 PM
    i upgraded to .810 and im having this problem...the refurb .732 came in the mail and is also having this problem
    08-04-10 08:17 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD