View Poll Results: Phone not upgradable to OS6, would you like RIM to release OS6 Theme into OS5?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I want free OS6 theme from RIM!!!

36 50.00%
  • No! Why give us OS6 theme when RIM don't even bother upgrade our OS?

36 50.00%
    Hello to all bbs,

The wind is blowing strong, knowing that almost all existing bbs will not be upgradable to official OS6.

For consolation, would you like RIM to release an OS6 theme into the next official OS5 upgrade?

e.g. v5.0.0.999 with interface similar to OS6 but will not have OS6 capabilities.

Please feedback! Hopefully RIM will hear your voice.

Thanks.
    Last edited by titusilvering; 07-24-10 at 07:01 PM.
    07-24-10 06:54 PM
    No thanks, if I can't have OS 6 (and we SHOULD) then I would rather wait out my contract and then go to an Android phone.
    07-24-10 07:21 PM
    Nope. I want the WebKit. I have my own custom theme.
    07-24-10 07:35 PM
    Yeah I have a couple OS 6 themes right now and I'd like to have a fully-functioning OS on there instead. I'm with Ronin.
    07-24-10 08:55 PM
    No. If I wanted an OS 6 theme, I would navigate the forum and find one.. If I do get OS6 on my device (not out of the question), I would more than likely swap themes to something else anyways.

Chances of RIM officially putting an OS 6 theme in OS 5 are slim to none

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-25-10 12:16 AM
    Besides, I haven't seen an "OFFICIAL" statement released from RIM that "existing" devices aren't getting it, so will continue to wait and see.

The "id1ots" on this site can debate that till they're blue in the face and until RIM confirms it, it's still RUMOR
    07-25-10 06:53 AM
    I don't think running OS6 on devices with RAM under 512MB will be very difficult. We'll see.
    07-25-10 07:47 AM
    i dont really care,,, i am happy with my storm2 anyway .. i dont really surf the web and when i do the speed doesnt really affect me
    07-25-10 08:00 AM
    no i'd like to see various newish devices like the 9700 to have OS6, as many people have just taken out a 24month or even a 36month contract with carriers to have the 9700, in my opinion it shouldnt be that hard for RIM to slimline OS6 for it too run smoothly on devices with 256mb. there are going to be alot of unhappy customers out there if they have to buy a new device just to get OS6.

like JoelTruckerDude says, until RIM announce it then it's just a rumor, instead of all this speculation people should wait until RIM make an official statement then decide what they are going to do......
    07-25-10 08:24 AM
    Sure....why not?
    07-25-10 09:49 AM
    I don't get all of this complaining about what we might or might not get.

We bought into a contract with a phone and a network and that phone came out with an operating system.

If the new phones have a better package then we simply have to wait our turn. Making noise about what we get or dont get mid contract in comparison to others who are entering new contracts is just odd.

if team signs a new player do all the other players already there get an uplift.
    if i buy a laptop with windows xp and then the next month the laptops are shipped with Windows 7 do i get an upgrade for free.

the answer is no

the contracts we got into are being delivered or they are not binding and what the next generation of contractors gets gives us a starting point for our next buying decisions.

My thinking is that I'll be ready for a new phone in march next year by which time OS 6 ahould have been ironed out and a new touchscreen BB will be due - does that mean all those who buy now get to complain reasonable about my deal?
    07-25-10 12:42 PM
    until RIM confirms it, it's still RUMOR[/B]
    +1
    07-25-10 01:14 PM
    I want OS6 with my own custom theme. There is no reason OS6 can't run on a 256 meg device and it has not been confirmed that it can't.
    07-25-10 01:15 PM
    the theme is the pat of OS6 i care least about. on the other hand, if they were to work only the the new browser into a version of OS5, i would be completely happy.
    07-25-10 01:44 PM
    I don't care one bit! I just want tmobile to get a new bb with 512mb+ and good build quality. I will buy it and RETIRE this 8120!!
    07-25-10 02:14 PM
    if team signs a new player do all the other players already there get an uplift.
    if i buy a laptop with windows xp and then the next month the laptops are shipped with Windows 7 do i get an upgrade for free.
    agreed all this debating is pointless. but your analogy is way off man...if a team signs a new player they do get an "uplift" (think lakers signing gasol and winning the championship, lebron now in miami with wade, celtics signing garnet and allen, etc). and apple in the past offered free upgrades for computers bought within a month of a new OS release
    07-25-10 03:26 PM

We bought into a contract with a phone and a network and that phone came out with an operating system.

If the new phones have a better package then we simply have to wait our turn. Making noise about what we get or dont get mid contract in comparison to others who are entering new contracts is just odd.

the answer is no

the contracts we got into are being delivered or they are not binding and what the next generation of contractors gets gives us a starting point for our next buying decisions.

My thinking is that I'll be ready for a new phone in march next year by which time OS 6 ahould have been ironed out and a new touchscreen BB will be due - does that mean all those who buy now get to complain reasonable about my deal?
    I bought a laptop w xp and I was upgraded to Windows 7 for free months later and I wasn't the only one. Other than that, I agree w you.
    07-25-10 04:15 PM

the answer is no

the answer is yes.. because i bought a laptop (with vista) is august and i got windows 7 for free and btw cell phone manufactures do owe us support for at least a year os updates and all so because the storm 2 and bold 9700 aren't a year old that should get os 6 or rim owes all those owners the refresh with the 512 mb of ram we have been seeing..
    07-25-10 07:48 PM
    the answer is yes.. because i bought a laptop (with vista) is august and i got windows 7 for free and btw cell phone manufactures do owe us support for at least a year os updates and all so because the storm 2 and bold 9700 aren't a year old that should get os 6 or rim owes all those owners the refresh with the 512 mb of ram we have been seeing..
    Exactly. Microsoft supplied manufacturers with Windows 7 early so that products being made were able to ship with Win7 on them when Win7 released, and other machines included a free upgrade if they had Vista on them. Storm1 owners were able to upgrade to OS5 when the S2 launched, and other devices were upgradeable as well. I understood totally when my 8130 wasn't able to run anything higher than 4.5 as that was ~51 megs and there was only 64 megs in the 8130. Even if OS6 is about 200 megs that leaves 56 left on a 256 mb device, and I have 130 free right now.
    07-25-10 08:33 PM
    simply, yes!
    07-26-10 04:57 AM
    I don't think they should waste time and resources with a theme.
    07-26-10 08:11 AM
    When the time for me to upgrade comes i will. until then i will deal with the os and device that i have.
    07-26-10 08:24 AM
    I don't think running OS6 on devices with RAM under 512MB will be very difficult. We'll see.
    I tend to agree with this. I think they will be alienating a HUGE amount os users if they choose to do this, and in today's day and age sometimes you only get one chance before a consumer jumps ship for good.
    07-31-10 03:44 AM
    When the time for me to upgrade comes i will. until then i will deal with the os and device that i have.
    +++1
    Usually when you buy a computer, the upgrade is already a known part of the purchase in order to sell the machine. No such promise was made or implied when I bought my S2.
    07-31-10 06:12 AM
    I tend to agree with this. I think they will be alienating a HUGE amount os users if they choose to do this, and in today's day and age sometimes you only get one chance before a consumer jumps ship for good.
    You are exactly correct on this statement; not proud of it, but true. We have become such disposable consumers, ready to run to the next "shiny bauble" that is dangled before our eyes. It is, and has been for a while, the ME generation - look what I have, complain about everything, and demand instant gratification!
    07-31-10 06:18 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD