Two Canadian carriers will start to charge .15 for every incoming text message, spam or not. I never use text messaging so, can this feature be turned off or deleted? Will that stop text messages from being received on my BB8330 Curve?
    Thanks for your help,
    very unhappy Canadian!
    07-09-08 07:31 PM
    wouldnt it be faster to call your carrier and ask? cuz if they can, you could have them institute the blocker at the same time.

just wondering.
    07-09-08 07:35 PM
    Yes you can turn it off. I don't remember how but I will check this out

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-08 08:05 PM
    Call your carrier Bell/Telus and say "Lock my SMS service" and they will disable any incoming or outgoing SMS messages from your phone.
    07-09-08 08:10 PM
    Options-->Security-->Firewall-->BLOCK SMS
    07-09-08 09:12 PM
    Since you're with Telus, there should be option to disable texting through mytelusmobility.com
    07-09-08 10:40 PM
    man that sucks!!! sorry to hear....

ay...when i was living back in vancouver, i thought my plan was awesome....then i moved here...

urgh, why can't canada get on board with the affordable phone plans?
    07-09-08 11:19 PM
    What mookish has recommended is perfect.
    07-09-08 11:32 PM
    Options-->Security-->Firewall-->BLOCK SMS
    That'll stop TXTs from showing on the phone. However, I don't believe this will prevent TXT msg charges as this is at the phone level and not the carrier level.
    07-09-08 11:49 PM
    Regards to this new rate hike from Telus/Bell I imagine a crap load of people will migrate in droves to Rogers........Man Telus was already having major problems I am thinking that this will so not help the situation......
    07-09-08 11:52 PM
    wouldnt it be faster to call your carrier and ask? cuz if they can, you could have them institute the blocker at the same time.

just wondering.
    This person is just looking for help. Give them a break.

Anyhow, to the best of my knowledge, there is no way to disable incoming sms messages.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-08 11:52 PM
    To elaborate a little further for our American neighbors - the two Canadian CDMA carriers starting in August will be charging for received text messages. BUT, all those who have some sort of text messaging plan (the cheapest of which starts at $3) will not be affected as they will continue to benefit from whatever their plan may be for, be it a certain fixed amount or unlimited text messaging. This will only affect a small number of users who are not on any sort of text messaging package. Most who do a fair amount of texting are likely already on some sort of package so won't see any change in their monthly bill.

The Canadian media, fresh off the whole Rogers/iPhone story, has blown this way out of proportion. They go around interviewing the public, and imply that this new fee will apply to everyone, stirring up a storm that the media love so much.
    07-10-08 12:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD