Based on the logical choice below, the answer should be sprint. However, what are the pros and cons of sprint vs tmobile. I have been a customer for tmobile for 8 years and prior to that was a sprint customer for 2 years. I do not know much about sprint service lately, so any insights will be helpful

My current tmobile plan

EMP- 750 shared mins plan Family Talk + Text + Web 109.99
    +1 Blackberry device for another $25.00
    +1 dummy phone without internet $5

After taxes and fees the total comes out to be $163.00

Sprint
    Everything Data Family - with Any Mobile, AnytimeSM

This plan includes

* Any Mobile, Anytime: Unlimited domestic calls from the Sprint network to and from ANY U.S. mobile phone regardless of carrier. Any network, any time.
    * Unlimited data: Web surfing, email, BlackBerry Internet Services (BIS), GPS Navigation, Sprint TV and Radio, NASCAR Sprint Cup MobileSM
    * Unlimited messaging: Text, pictures and video
    * Talk: Night calling and weekends starting at 7 p.m., nationwide long distance and no roaming charges. Lines 1-2 included. Lines 3-5 are $19.99/mo./line.

1500 Anytime mins $ 129.99

+2 lines 40.00

comes out to be 169.99 after taxes and fees because i get a 15% corporate discount

As you can see for $6 more, I can have 4 smart phones instead of 3 AND have unlimited mobile to mobile and have more shared mins for the familly.

Any insights would be helpful on why tmobile is superior to sprint.
    07-22-10 01:32 PM
    Sprint's native footprint is much larger than T-Mobile, it's network is more mature. If you never leave the T-Mobile coverage area it doesn't matter much but if you tavel then you'll be under the Sprint umbrella much more of the time than you'd be in T-Mobile territority.
    07-22-10 03:33 PM
    Sprint's native footprint is much larger than T-Mobile, it's network is more mature. If you never leave the T-Mobile coverage area it doesn't matter much but if you tavel then you'll be under the Sprint umbrella much more of the time than you'd be in T-Mobile territority.
    No it's not. Sprint coverage is smaller. Where do you Sprint fans come up with this crap?
    07-22-10 04:33 PM
    No it's not. Sprint coverage is smaller. Where do you Sprint fans come up with this crap?

Sprint's Native footprint is bigger. T-Mobile started off buying small companies here in the USA to grow.

T-Mobile might have a larger footprint, but there didn't get there building it, like Sprint did.
    07-22-10 04:48 PM
    Sprint's Native footprint is bigger. T-Mobile started off buying small companies here in the USA to grow.

T-Mobile might have a larger footprint, but there didn't get there building it, like Sprint did.
    Are you kidding me right now

Sprint has acquired
    Northern PCS
    US Unwired
    IWO Holdings
    Gulf Coast Wireless
    Alamosa Holdings
    Enterprise Communications
    iPCS
    These are just for the PCS CDMA network.
    07-22-10 05:01 PM
    Are you kidding me right now

Sprint has acquired
    Northern PCS
    US Unwired
    IWO Holdings
    Gulf Coast Wireless
    Alamosa Holdings
    Enterprise Communications
    iPCS
    These are just for the PCS CDMA network.

No i am not kidding you .... Look @ Sprint's Native footprint when there were "sprint" before they bought anyone....

Then look @ T-Mobile's.... T-Mobile didn't have one they started off by buying people out.

Native means the original, the first, the primo, the alpha... t-mo never had one. they started by buying people.

It was formed from 4 U.S. companies, VoiceStream Wireless, Aerial, Omni Point and Powertel (VoiceStream acquired Aerial, Omni Point and Powertel before T-Mobile acquired it). In May 2001, VoiceStream was acquired by Deutsche Telekom for US$24 billion, and in September 2002 the combined U.S. company's name changed to T-Mobile. Headquartered in Bellevue, Washington, T-Mobile USA is currently the fourth-largest wireless carrier in the U.S. market, behind Verizon Wireless, AT&T Mobility and Sprint Nextel with 33.7 million customers as of the end of the first quarter of 2010 and annual revenue of US$21.53 billion for their 2009 fiscal year.[1]
    T-Mobile USA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by mjneid; 07-22-10 at 05:17 PM.
    07-22-10 05:10 PM
    Some things to note (not telling you which way to go)

You did not mention if you could get a 10-15% corp discount on T-Mo, so not quite apples to apples

Sprint roams on Verizon (Roaming is free)
    T-Mobile roams on AT&T (Roaming is free)

The Anymobile, Anytime is worth its weight if you talk to a lot of folks with cell phones and not landlines. You will never go over your plan minutes in that scenario. I think that trumps mobile to mobile if you have any young folks on your plan. Those 1-2 minute conversations add up.

Phone selection is somewhat better with T-Mobile and switching to a new phone only requires slapping SIM in another phone. With Sprint, you have to call in or go to the website to switch devices and then if you don't have a backup of the contacts, you will need to go to the Sprint Store to transfer contacts. Also selling the phones is an easier process with SIM phones if you ever upgrade and want to offload a phone.

3G on T-Mo is currently faster than Sprint 4G (which is additional $10 for the phones with the capability even though they say it isn't a 4G charge)

Customer Service at Sprint has improved (while, my opinion so take it as such, T-Mo is going downward). Yes, I have had both services (and do still maintain a T-Mo acct)
    I didnt include the discount on tmobile because you are not allowed to have corporate discounts on the Even More Plus plans, or at least thats what they told me back then.

Tmobile 3g vs 4g... I will have to look into this.

I agree with tmobile having better phones than sprint. My main concern is the network mostly.

Extra mins and having one more smart phone on the plan for the same price would just be a perk.

Thanks guys
    07-22-10 05:25 PM
    Either way you go they both suck for different reasons. I have had both and I currently have Sprint so I can tell you from experience. I'm not so sure that T-Mobile still had a roaming agreement with ATT. We were in an area a few months ago where my sis-in-law had full strength and our T-Moblile junk said "SOS" .
    07-22-10 09:06 PM
    ickmule,

It really depends on the area. T-Mobile doesn't have roaming agreements in all areas, at least in my experience.
    For example, I get SOS in NY (which is pretty rare) but I never get SOS in PA because I can roam on AT&T there.
    07-22-10 10:43 PM
    No i am not kidding you .... Look @ Sprint's Native footprint when there were "sprint" before they bought anyone....

Then look @ T-Mobile's.... T-Mobile didn't have one they started off by buying people out.

Native means the original, the first, the primo, the alpha... t-mo never had one. they started by buying people.

T-Mobile USA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    You're both right and wrong. Both companies as they are today are products of many aquisitions and build-outs of PCS carriers. The PCS spectrum didn't start getting built until the mid-90s. Sprint PCS did acquire some incumbent carriers to complement the PCS licenses they bought. T-Mobile came to be through many acquisitions through its own initiative as well as when Deutsche Telekom bought the whole enchilada.

Both carriers, mostly PCS, coverage comparisons in terms of MSAs/RSAs is immaterial. The engineering behind their licenses is not. That is where you delve into the characteristics of CDMA vs. GSM, etc. In the end...you know what they say about arguing on the internet...
    07-23-10 10:09 AM
    Either way you go they both suck for different reasons. I have had both and I currently have Sprint so I can tell you from experience. I'm not so sure that T-Mobile still had a roaming agreement with ATT. We were in an area a few months ago where my sis-in-law had full strength and our T-Moblile junk said "SOS" .
    I was in an area, called an empty house for rent where my Sprint junk said searching. Still had T-Mobile coverage.
    07-24-10 03:17 AM
    T-Mobile HSDPA is growing!!
    I say T-Mobile.
    07-29-10 06:48 AM
    Don't see why it matters which network bought out who...as long as you get coverage with your carrier, it shouldn't matter!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-10 02:48 PM
    Is hard to pass up the price point of Sprint with Unlimited everything and can call any cell for free is a huge bonus....but I have a lot of extra lines and 20 a pop would cost me 60 bucks to what I pay now 20...plus in my area, I get better coverage off T-Mobile here.

If you have been with T-Mobile for 8 years, that is beyond loyal and I would call them up and say you are no longer happy with your plan and whatnot and thinking about switching and 9/10 they will hook you up.

It might be worth a shot to save you some money.

Also I have a 1000 minute plan, 20 unlimited texting, 2 data's 30 bucks and insurance on 2 phones 12 bucks and 2 extra lines 20 bucks....pay 174 a month...

I would call the loyalty department.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-10 04:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD