Can someone explain Skype to me as far as Billing?

My Wife and I are traveling to Cancun Mexico at the end of August. TO Start I don't know if my phone will work over there (s2) since it's out of the US, but secondly is it free for my to Skype with a PC back to the states?
    07-22-10 10:07 AM
    Well I can answer part of your post that you didn't really "ask" a question on.

If you call Verizon in advance you can ask them to move you to the International data plan. It's a couple of bucks more a day then the regular data plan. This will give you the abiilty to use Blackberry Messenger, email and browser just like you would here in the states. I did this when I went to Riviera Maya and had great coverage...I would think Cancun would be even better.

However this does NOT cover text or phone calls.

And hopefully someone else can come in and comment on the Skype aspect of it...but I'm thinking you just might be fine with Skyping from Cancun to the states via either a PC (on this end), or someone else with Skype on their phone. Skype, as far as I know, is a data service. So changing to the International plan while in Cancun should mean Skype will work.
    07-22-10 10:20 AM
    Well I can answer part of your post that you didn't really "ask" a question on.

If you call Verizon in advance you can ask them to move you to the International data plan. It's a couple of bucks more a day then the regular data plan. This will give you the abiilty to use Blackberry Messenger, email and browser just like you would here in the states. I did this when I went to Riviera Maya and had great coverage...I would think Cancun would be even better.

However this does NOT cover text or phone calls.

And hopefully someone else can come in and comment on the Skype aspect of it...but I'm thinking you just might be fine with Skyping from Cancun to the states via either a PC (on this end), or someone else with Skype on their phone. Skype, as far as I know, is a data service. So changing to the International plan while in Cancun should mean Skype will work.
    Does Skype actually allow Video as well over cell?
    07-22-10 10:26 AM
    Pretty sure it does not since it doesn't have a front facing camera. Also, I just realized you were asking about Skype billing. I thought Skype to Skype calls were free...but I'm not positive. I have it on my Storm 2 but have never actually used it.

By the way, in case it wasn't clear in my earlier post, Mexico has CDMA coverage (so no need to unlock the Storm unless you were interested in buying a SIM, which when I started looking into it, I decided it wasn't worth the trouble/expense, and that if I HAD to talk to someone back home I would suck it up and pay the $1/minute, but I was only there 3 nights).
    07-22-10 10:49 AM

My Family and I are traveling to Cancun Mexico at the end of August. TO Start I don't know if my phone will work over there (s2) since it's out of the US, but secondly is it free for my to Skype with a PC back to the states?
    It's kind of sad so many of us US folks know so little about our bordering neighbors.

Mexico uses most if not all US standards, that means all of your appliances, like a cell phone charger, will work just fine. Also both AT&T and Verizon have coverage in Mexcio, especially in places like Cancun.

In Mexico, both your data and voice are roaming. So even if Skype-to-Skype is free, the data you are using is not, you will be charged roaming rates. What I did when I went to Mexico was to disable my data plan (on the phone) and change my plan to include international calling. This reduced the roaming rate to $.11 a minute.

If you go buy French's option then you can have all of your data plan working and then Skype-to-Skype would be free. But Skype quality is not that good and depends a lot on your data plan speed(where your at). I'd recommend you look into changing your voice plan and not even consider using Skype.

=X=
    07-22-10 11:16 AM

My Wife and I are traveling to Cancun Mexico at the end of August. TO Start I don't know if my phone will work over there (s2) since it's out of the US, but secondly is it free for my to Skype with a PC back to the states?
    First off, Skype mobile will not work outside of Verizon's coverage. Second, your phone is a global phone, so it will work, well, globally. You can add the Global Data plan for 65 dollars a month or about 2.16 a day.
    07-22-10 11:35 AM
    Skype will not work on your phone outside of the Verizon network. So if your traveling to another country and you roam off a network or use GSM, when you try to open the app, it will close again and will not continue to load. Its "Verizon" network dependent.

However, if you are inside the states and want to use it on the network, you can call any skype customer you want, be it another verizon mobile (in VZ network) or a computer anywhere around the world. If you make calls from the app, its 100% free (skype to skype).

This info has nothing to do with what type of data plan you have. At the end of the day, its strictly network dependent.

Hope this helps...
    07-22-10 11:35 AM
    Okay Okay - Sorry didn't mean to open Pandora's box with traveling to cancun. This is my first time traveling outside of the US so questions will occur.

Okay so data is free but calls are not - Thats good to know.

I guess what I ultimately wanted to know is since my son will be in the US we wanted to video chat with him, since the PC has a web cam on it I thought it would be neat, but you guys don't think thats possible without cost I assume?
    07-22-10 11:53 AM
    Okay Okay - Sorry didn't mean to open Pandora's box with traveling to cancun. This is my first time traveling outside of the US so questions will occur.

I guess what I ultimately wanted to know is since my son will be in the US we wanted to video chat with him, since the PC has a web cam on it I thought it would be neat, but you guys don't think thats possible without cost I assume?
    It's not a cost issue its a feature issue, video chat does not work with Verizon's Skype.
    Video chat on phones is a relatively new and at the moment I only know of iPhone and Android phones that are capable. They usually require a front facing camera. That is most of these phones have two cameras built in. (one for pictures, one for video chat)

If you want to video chat, your best taking a laptop and talk over broadband. Most hotels will have a fast connection.

=X=
    07-22-10 12:01 PM
    no blackberry supports video calls on verizon. I dont know much about droid and whether it has devices that support it but on the blackberry side, its a No.

Also, I'm not sure what you referred to about data being free. Data is not free outside the US on your BIS or BES data plan. And international data plan must be placed on your account for free data overseas (email/BBM/web/data apps/etc).
    07-22-10 12:02 PM

Just to clarify, Data is only "free" if you enable the international data plan (believe someone above mentioned it to be around $65?) If you don't get that plan and use your data you will be charged hefty roaming rates.

You won't be able to use video calling from the mobile app. Best bet would be to bring a laptop down and Skype on WiFi.
    07-22-10 12:06 PM
    It's not a cost issue its a feature issue, video chat does not work with Verizon's Skype.
    Video chat on phones is a relatively new and at the moment I only know of iPhone and Android phones that are capable. They usually require a front facing camera. That is most of these phones have two cameras built in. (one for pictures, one for video chat)

If you want to video chat, your best taking a laptop and talk over broadband. Most hotels will have a fast connection.

=X=
    Actually video chatting has been around for many many years (mostly in Europe, but even Rogers had a special plan for it going back about 2-3 years. Like ringback tones, it was a mobile technology that never really took off in the past). It's Apple and their marketing gods that are going to popularize it.

That said, as far as I know there aren't any devices with front facing cameras that will allow video calling through Skype.
    07-22-10 12:11 PM
    Hey guys I'm going to Mexico also ...so what I got from this was I'f I want to call via skype or youse my apps or we ,email,bbm I have to get the international data plan right .....and if I want to make calls from Mexico from my regular phone I have to get international calling plan .....am I right ?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-10 12:44 PM
    ehhh, your confused!

OK... If you get an international data plan, you can BBM, e-mail, use the web unlimited on your device, and use your apps that can run off any networks data.

Skype is a different service. It will ONLY run off Verizon's HOME network in the US.

As for calling... there is no international calling plan. You have 2 choices, pay the per minute rate of that country or unlock your SIM to GSM and use a prepaid SIM card. That second option only benefits you when you make local calls within the country you are visiting and bought the prepaid SIM from.

there's another option and its a bit confusing. Verizon can give you a special plan where you pay I believe $5 more a month (prorated of course) and the per minute rate for calls from most countries drops to give you some sort of discount abroad. Verizon can tell you what the discount is as each country's rate and discount is different. I forget the name of the program but any rep will know what I speak of if you reference this option.

SMS and MMS is a different ball game. I think its $.25 to send and to receive from an international location outside the US.
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 07-22-10 at 12:57 PM.
    07-22-10 12:52 PM
    Wifi is FREE!!!!

Cancun? Nude beach?
    07-22-10 01:00 PM
    wifi is free but not a good option to rely on alone unless you cut your blackberry's network all together during your travels. Since your phone is always searching for e-mails, your data won't turn on only when your in a wifi zone and you will end up with heavy charges by roaming
    07-22-10 01:02 PM
    wifi is free but not a good option to rely on alone unless you cut your blackberry's network all together during your travels. Since your phone is always searching for e-mails, your data won't turn on only when your in a wifi zone and you will end up with heavy charges by roaming
    Definitely have to remember to set Data to "off while roaming" or you'd be in serious trouble!
    07-22-10 01:19 PM
    Great info.

For video calls, here are the popular options so far.
    1. Apple iPhone 4 (on ATT): FaceTime (video calls between 2 iPhone users), Fring (video calls between iPhone and Android users)

2. Android OS: (HTC EVO 4G (available on Sprint) and Dell Streak(available in UK, ATT later this year)). Qik for calls between 2 Android devices. Fring for video calls between Android devices or Android and iPhone 4

3. Nokia N900 (Direct sale from Nokia but can be used on Tmobile): Nokia chat for Nokia to Nokia. Skype (mobile to mobile OR mobile to PC). Fring for Nokia to Android.

ehhh, your confused!

OK... If you get an international data plan, you can BBM, e-mail, use the web unlimited on your device, and use your apps that can run off any networks data.

Skype is a different service. It will ONLY run off Verizon's HOME network in the US.

As for calling... there is no international calling plan. You have 2 choices, pay the per minute rate of that country or unlock your SIM to GSM and use a prepaid SIM card. That second option only benefits you when you make local calls within the country you are visiting and bought the prepaid SIM from.

there's another option and its a bit confusing. Verizon can give you a special plan where you pay I believe $5 more a month (prorated of course) and the per minute rate for calls from most countries drops to give you some sort of discount abroad. Verizon can tell you what the discount is as each country's rate and discount is different. I forget the name of the program but any rep will know what I speak of if you reference this option.

SMS and MMS is a different ball game. I think its $.25 to send and to receive from an international location outside the US.
    07-22-10 01:22 PM
    only problem is that if you shut down the network, basically you dont have a phone so I'm not sure thats an option for most people who want to travel and have some sort of communications options.
    07-22-10 01:22 PM
    it boils down to whether the trip is a business trip or pleasure trip.

If I am on pleasure trip, I will definitely turn off my data for roaming. Hotel wifi usually come free or at most pay a few dollars for internet. Why bother to check mails while it suppose to be a fun trip?
    07-22-10 01:38 PM
    I understand that the verizon mobile Skype works on the Verizon network. If I am on the Verizon network, can I make a Skype call to my friend in Canada who also has Skype on his Blackberry
    07-22-10 08:12 PM
    I understand that the verizon mobile Skype works on the Verizon network. If I am on the Verizon network, can I make a Skype call to my friend in Canada who also has Skype on his Blackberry
    Absolutely, you can call anyone using Skype whether they have it on a mobile phone or on their computer.
    07-22-10 08:27 PM
    Absolutely, you can call anyone using Skype whether they have it on a mobile phone or on their computer.
    Is it free to make a Skype call from my Blackberry to Canada or Mexico if I am on the Verizon network when making the call to another Blackberry
    07-22-10 08:50 PM
    Wifi is FREE!!!!

Cancun? Nude beach?
    If there is - Pix will follow LMAO!!! JK Ill be with my wife so Im sure if she hears the shutter noise I'll get the evil eye
    07-23-10 06:12 AM
    If there is - Pix will follow LMAO!!! JK Ill be with my wife so Im sure if she hears the shutter noise I'll get the evil eye
    Well, video mode don't have shutter noise. Just make sure you got a 32GB sdhc card ready!

btw, storm2 cam do take pretty nice vidz on bright sunny beach day! Do whatever you wanado but don't get caught!
    Last edited by titusilvering; 07-23-10 at 06:41 AM.
    07-23-10 06:39 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD