Some of you may be wondering just like myself, my ne2 is coming up this sept. 2010, and I just wonder if it would be wise to wait till next year to buy a new phone because vzw will start to have 4g out by then. By that time maybe a S3 will be around, I mean what do you think? Or would it be worth while to try the incredible or the X, and would these two devices work with 4g say through an OS update? I just am clueless as to what I want to do

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-10 09:30 PM
    I'm in the same boat here. I just don't think I will be able to wait until much past August... sooner if VZW keeps talking about doing away with the unlimited data plans for some kind of tiered plan system.

LTE (4G) is hardware only. There will be no firmware update that will give a 3G phone 4G capabilities.

Scott
    07-22-10 02:46 AM
    Didn't know, hardware only huh, I'm not sure for sure not what I want to do. Vzw is the first carrier I've ever been with, five years now. Their talking about that huh? That stinks.

07-22-10 09:50 AM
    First you have to decide if you want to stick with BlackBerry or not. That has to be up to you.

Personally, I'm going to stick with BlackBerry and Verizon. So, I;m going to wait till the first of the year and see what devices have OS6.
    07-22-10 10:18 AM
    But if vzw is going to going to a 4G network, I sure don't want to use my NE2 on a 3G phone this year, old technology on a new network, that would suck and I'd be stuck with it for two years. I have the storm one and I'm so ready for something with a better browser, faster, and be able to use a lot of apps, so its tempting to buy this year. See the dilemma? What to do?

07-22-10 10:37 AM
    But if vzw is going to going to a 4G network, I sure don't want to use my NE2 on a 3G phone this year, old technology on a new network, that would suck and I'd be stuck with it for two years.
    I completely agree. Lots of new stuck coming out late this year and early next year. I feel it would be foolish to use the NE2 right now.
    07-22-10 10:40 AM
    Verizon is only beginning the roll-out of their LTE Network in November... but it will only be available in a few limited markets. Completion is not expected until 2012/2013, so you might be fine for another 18months - 2years before it is available to you.

Think I'll go ahead and get a new phone when my NE2 comes due.. of course I taught that by Nov we might see the S3, not looking that way now.
    07-22-10 01:58 PM
    I was and still am counting on RIM to make the storm three knock your socks off. And to speak truthfully, I'm very proud to hear that RiM hasn't announced one word about there being a S3, because I still feel like a victim of how they and mostly vzw done S1 owners, shows that rim is making sure the hardware and software is correct before they market their product, that's the way I see it anyways. Hopefully rim and vzw and other carriers, realized they pissed a bunch of S1 owners off by marketing a poor product to the public. I like that their not giving dates as to the release of OS6, or the web kit, and even the mentioning of a Storm 3, makes me feel like they listened to me and care. I wish all these folks complaining would give em a chance, they are listening, they do care, or they wouldn't be releasing all this new stuff. Great things don't just happy over night, it takes time and patients. Good things come to those who are patient.

07-22-10 04:34 PM
    I was back earlier in the year chanting that I was going to get an incredible. But now that I've seen some clips of OS6, I kind of feel bad for chanting for another team, Blackberry's really do do things better, I think its because the os has been out for a while and they have had time to get it right where its easy to use. I haven't fooled with an incredible or an X (I plan to soon) but I played around with the moto droid when it was released, and found it hard to use, with time I could of learned it I guess. If I do go with an android platform, I'm scared ill not like it over time and be like some folks I've read about, wanting to come back to BB. Time will tell in sept.

07-22-10 04:46 PM
    RIM is currently losing their edge in the smartphone market. They are currently the #1 selling smartphone maker in the U.S., but their share is increasingly being marginalized due to heavy Android/iOS popularity and demand.

As for Verizon doing away with unlimited plan, it seems unfair and almost unamerican. We are a land of excess after all, but if you go into the nitty gritty, most will not pull large amounts of data over 3G / month. Unless you're a frequent traveler, a non-limited plan can be beneficial as it would be cheaper, and potentially keep the network running stable instead of seeing what happened with AT&T/iPhone debacle.

Personally, I will definitely switch over to Android 2.2+ with a more powerful processor, which are slated to come out in the holiday season of this year, or early next year. Most of the phones we see this year, iPhone4/incredible/evo/droidx all have similar specs, in that they are ARM Cortex-A8 based phones. By the end of the year, we will start seeing ARM Cortex-A9 dual core processor phones (potentially at 2Ghz, but most likely in the 1.2 - 1.5 ghz range) that will maintain its battery life, as dual core processors are supposed to be much better with power efficiency/management.

I am not a fan of BB's poor app environment. Lack of dev support for their OS compared to that of rich heavy iOS and Android's increasingly blooming app marketplace is a far cry from BB's Appworld.

RIM makes good handsets, for businesses, not for consumers. Their foray into consumer based phones with the S1 was a failure in my opinion. Being that I am more of a consumer-based smartphone user, I feel that going Android or iOS would be best suited for me. I am strongly leaning Android, however, as it will support flash in Android's next update. My contract expires in November '10, so there is no doubt that the next generation of phones will be around the corner in that time frame or in Q1 of '11.
    Last edited by aohus; 07-22-10 at 05:25 PM.
    07-22-10 05:21 PM
    I was getting close to the end of my S1 contract, but I bit the bullet and bought the Droid X. I haven't looked back since. It has been one week and I haven't even pulled the battery. Hard to believe. I might just do a battery pull for old times sake tonight.
    07-22-10 07:42 PM
    I was getting close to the end of my S1 contract, but I bit the bullet and bought the Droid X. I haven't looked back since. It has been one week and I haven't even pulled the battery. Hard to believe. I might just do a battery pull for old times sake tonight.
    Lol, I had my mind set on the incredible but been thinking about the X. Is the X really huge, reviewers where saying that would be a turn off for some buyers.

07-22-10 10:42 PM
    Lol, I had my mind set on the incredible but been thinking about the X. Is the X really huge, reviewers where saying that would be a turn off for some buyers.

It's a nice size. Put it this way. I can fit my BB S1 perfectly behind the phone, just before the hump of the DX camera. So its about a half inch, maybe more than the S1. I think its thinner though. It fits well in any pockets that I have tried it in.
    07-23-10 05:05 PM
    The Incredible is backordered into perpetual infinity
    The X is backordered, and a bit too big
    The Fascinate looks like a good option but Verizon hasn't given any release date.

Stuck with the Storm for a *twitch* little longer *twitch*
    07-23-10 05:28 PM
    I can say, my s1 experience wasn't bad at all, unilke some folks, but I'm ready to move onto something better. The X sounds pretty neat.

07-23-10 09:47 PM
    The X is not too big. Put it this way, if you have normal sized hands, you will love this phone. I have large hands so it's great for me. I switched from a Storm 1 and let me tell you it is the difference in night and day. Blackberry needs to take a serious look at expanding the ROM in the phones as well as improving its apps and apps store. I still think no one does e-mail on mobile phones like BB. BB is not out of this race by any means and with a few tweaks and some fresh ideals on new phones they will get people to come back.
    07-24-10 12:18 PM
    I would get a new phone with a 1 year contract. I did. You will be eligible for an upgrade in 10 months. The 4g phones should be available close to then.
    07-26-10 04:59 PM
    You know you could upgrade to any smartphone you want to with Verizon right now right?

They started a promo when the Droid X came out saying that if your contract ends at any date in 2010, you can upgrade at the 2 year price without penalty.

So if you don't want to hold out or wait, you can upgrade today.
    07-28-10 11:18 AM
    Be aware that you might not get your NE2 "co-pay" out of Verizon. Some people report have gotten it early (as late as a Nov, 2010 NE2 date) and others didn't. Like so many things at VZW, it appears to depend on the people at the store and how nice you are...

Scott
    07-28-10 03:32 PM
    IMHO, Verizon is steering people away from S1/S2. I think they have more lucrative contracts elsewhere with different types of phones. I just don't see the support. Dumping RIM for iPhone, Droid x, ect. over RIM? They want $149 for me to upgrade to S2! BS! I haven't explored other phone options. I think I will wait another year.
    07-28-10 07:43 PM
    wait wait wait...im in same boat. i actually coughed up $200 for a used S2 from the marketplace here last month bc my S1 was painfully slow.

we are sittin pretty if you look at it positively. i cant believe im saying this but...summer is on its way out...os6 should be on its way in...november is around the corner...then the holiday phones will start down the rumor pipeline...then LTE/4G...then finally...we can make our move!

ROCK&ROLL...SHAKE&BAKE>RICKYBOBBY...we will be sittin pretty!

S1 diehards...stick to yer guns...our time will be comin soon enough my friends!
    07-29-10 06:09 AM
    I'm an S1 owner looking for my next phone.

The reason i chose a BB, first and foremost, is that BB's have the most secure network I have experienced. I can store all my data on my home PC or flash drive if needed. I'm concerned that the new android based systems require my uploading onto google, and not being able to store SMS', MMS' or other forms of communication. That's why I chose a BB in the first place. If all I needed to protect were my contact lists, past emails and calender, then any phone would do, as outlook will take care of that. That said, the new DroidX is very appealing as a replacement for my ailing S1.

What would be ideal for me would be a touch screen BB with the screen size of a DroidX (even slightly larger)to replace my Storm1. The new proposed "slider" phone is unappealing. Even DroidX replaced their slider. I believe that people are now looking for an all in one devise. Too often, we in business are assigned a BB for all its business friendly reasons/features, and choose other devices for more "pop" related functions. We have accepted carrying around a large pad that is in essence a big ipod, mini laptop notebooks and other more expansive phones in addition to our BB's. With the new DroidX, the market is showing that it is open to a larger size physical format for an all-in-one device, that also serves both Business, entertainment and communications functions.

If BB provides a more efficient OS, increased browser speed, a larger touch screen (no slider)and all the security and reliability of a BB in their next product, the market share would not only increase, but those of us that carry multiple devices will just settle on one that offers the best of all three worlds.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
    07-30-10 02:58 AM
    I have a storm 1. It's my 3rd one and ready to toss it. But when it is working smoothly I'm in love with it. But it's old news and time to upgrade. Thought about upgrading in November. My contract ends in April 2011 and I'm thinking of waiting to see what is around at that time. I haven't decided what to get yet. My main uses are my calendar, docs to go (writer), emails, navigator, podcasts, games, music, videos (youtube) and an awesome (meaning fast, easy to navigate on webpage)brower.
    BB messenger not all that important but if i can some type of SMS that will be great. Any suggestions from experience users who have used the Storm (BB) and non BB phones (X, HTC, etc)? The X is out for me. I have tiny hands. It was like a remote control when I held that huge thing, lol. I was going to wait for the Storm 3 but I guess that rumor is no longer valid. Thanks!
    08-02-10 02:57 PM
    I guess it's personal in some cases, possibly apps, corporate security/capabilities, etc. but I will tellmyou that I just got my Droid x and it is a dream conpared to the S1. I know, it's old technology but the storm has been a PITA for a year. No updates(I know there are hybreds etc and these guys are fantistic) but why can't RIM or Verizon update my phone. I've been dealing with the screen on my S1 going black for over a year. The screen doesn't always respond to my inputs any more. This Droid is fantastic. Touch the screen and you get a response. I paid for BB aps that I get free now-Picture ID, portfolio managers etc. This phone is just what I was looking for when I bought the S1. I really don't think Blackberry will ever compete with the iphone, Android, or any other noncorporate phone mfg. They have a BES and corportate market which may or may not be able to be challenged but as far as a great personal phone with tons of apps and media capabilities, I would never but a BB again.
    08-02-10 08:41 PM
    Loving my S1! Had some problems originally with the display. It was replaced and works very well. Ned more memory.
    Am eligible for an upgrade but thinking about waiting for an S3, if there is such a thing.
    Gotta love BB email!
    To be quite honest, we could all chase technology till the cows come home. There is always something newer, faster and better coming around the corner.
    BB works for me!
    08-15-10 08:03 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD