View Poll Results: What month is your NE2 up?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • July 2010

3 12.00%
  • August 2010

9 36.00%
  • September 2010

2 8.00%
  • October 2010

2 8.00%
  • November 2010

5 20.00%
  • December 2010

2 8.00%
  • January 2010

0 0%
  • February 2010

2 8.00%
  • March 2010

0 0%
  • April 2010

0 0%
    I thought that since the discussion about RIM's decision to not provide any reliable info regarding the S3 and S4, especially in light of the recent release of the iPhone 4 and the flurry of Android devices, it would be interesting to see exactly what percentages of people (especially those with touchscreen BB's) are eligible for the NE2 over the next year. So to find this out I'm going to try a poll. The poll will be which month your NE2 comes up (for the next 10 months).

If you post, please identify whether your main BB has a touchscreen or keyboard.

It might add some insight in the conversations about the upcoming (hopefully) new Storm iterations.

Anyway, here we go...

Scott
    07-20-10 08:16 PM
    You may want to see if they can put this somewhere to get more traffic,,,

My Main goal would be a touch screen device on VZW. If recent rumors of an Odin refresh are what is available I am probably going android. If the S3 is what Sal rumored and is LTE, I will consider that and see how it is reviewed.
    07-20-10 09:33 PM
    I'd be OK with it moved if a moderator can find a better home.

Scott
    07-20-10 09:46 PM
    My NE2 eligibility already came up (i have a multiline corp contract) and I am waiting out the next batch of phones (mostly Droid 2, Samsung Galaxy/Fascinate) since the Droid X and Incredible really aren't wowing me enough (poor battery life and clunky chassis). I must have won the storm1 lottery; it just keeps working day in and day out with the only caveat being having to clean the battery contacts every few weeks so it keeps a full charge.

I have been talking to a lot of people with different types of droids and honestly other than 3d games there's nothing the storm1 "can't" do; really it's just an aged phone that doesn't look as nice or work as fast.
    Last edited by jeffmeden; 07-21-10 at 08:26 AM.
    07-21-10 08:23 AM
    I'm not due till February. So far I have not been impressed enough with the Android phones. I want to stick with Verizon so I'm just going to hold out to see what their next BlackBerry touchscreen phone will be. Right now I'm happy with my Storm 1.
    07-21-10 09:05 AM
    Is there a moderator out there who could move this to, say, "Rumored Devices" as that actually might be a better home for it? OR something more mainstream Storm?

Thanks!

Scott
    07-21-10 08:02 PM
    I'm due in 9/10 I have the storm one. Hoping for a storm three.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by df79transam; 07-21-10 at 09:41 PM.
    07-21-10 09:35 PM
    my NE2 is up as of today (got the S1 the day it came out). I checked out the Droid X today but it may be to big for my tastes. My next phone will likely be another touch screen as that's what I'm used to. I don't know of I can wait until the S3 comes out. I'm not that patient but I do want to see what BB OS6 has in store before jumping ship to Android.

07-21-10 11:31 PM
    8/5/2010

I'll be sad to see my Storm 1 go, but I'm moving to X or Incredible on that day.
    07-21-10 11:35 PM
    Got my notification on my S1 yesterday (7/21/2010) that I'm officially NE2 eligible. Decisions, decisions.

If the rumor that the next Storm update is only going to be a "S2a" update and Sal's "S3" won't be here until Black Friday or early next year (depending on rumor), I'm going to have to jump.

Scott
    07-22-10 02:18 AM
    If your NE2 is too far off from you, and you use Verizon, try sending them an email on verizonwireless.com. I told them (truthfully) that I was having trouble with my 5th Storm and was wondering about future one year contracts instead of two when I was eligible. Without me asking, they made my ne2 eligibility date effective immediately.

This past week, I emailed them about my wife's 3rd Storm 1 acting up and seeing if we could push up her eligibility date. They moved it from November 22 to yesterday with no problems. Now she just needs to pick out the Android she really wants.
    07-26-10 04:55 PM
    8/5/2010

I'll be sad to see my Storm 1 go, but I'm moving to X or Incredible on that day.
    Almost ditto...
    NE2 on 8/7/2010, sold my Storm 1 and bought a Storm2 on Craiglist afew months back to tide me over. Most likely will going with the X and hanging onto the Storm2 until my 30 days is up. OS6 and S3 will be too late to the party. Android is on a roll and RIM hasn't been able to come up with an answer. There are times I could just skip the S2 across a lake or take a sledge hammer to it. Lately it isn't even a good phone anymore.
    07-30-10 07:57 PM
    Almost ditto...
    NE2 on 8/7/2010, sold my Storm 1 and bought a Storm2 on Craiglist afew months back to tide me over. Most likely will going with the X and hanging onto the Storm2 until my 30 days is up. OS6 and S3 will be too late to the party. Android is on a roll and RIM hasn't been able to come up with an answer. There are times I could just skip the S2 across a lake or take a sledge hammer to it. Lately it isn't even a good phone anymore.
    Believe it or not, my S1 has been rock solid, and I mean rock solid since probably my second OS update in January of 2009.

Garmin, GolfLogix and Tether have been outstanding and other than the battery pulls every couple of days, no other issues. E-Mail is perfect..

Why change? Probably for the same reason I bought the S1. A new technology adventure, since like most of us, I'm a fiddler and am looking forward to diving into Android. My wife has the Eris and I like the Android potential ( yes you can root the X).

Of course, I'll never leave Crackberry! It's where I was weaned)
    07-31-10 08:01 PM
    @BB_Storm4Me - I have gotten fed up with my S1 now. Ordered my DroidX and it is supposed to ship on 8/4. You probably can go in at any time and get your NE2. As close as you are and the current expected ship date of 8/5 or 8/6 they probably would give it to you. Especially since you probably wouldn't be able to activate it before 8/7 anyway.

Good luck and I guess I'll see you over on Android Central... :/

Scott
    08-01-10 02:19 AM
    Believe it or not, my S1 has been rock solid, and I mean rock solid since probably my second OS update in January of 2009.

Garmin, GolfLogix and Tether have been outstanding and other than the battery pulls every couple of days, no other issues. E-Mail is perfect..

Why change? Probably for the same reason I bought the S1. A new technology adventure, since like most of us, I'm a fiddler and am looking forward to diving into Android. My wife has the Eris and I like the Android potential ( yes you can root the X).

Of course, I'll never leave Crackberry! It's where I was weaned)
    @uvarules...seriously its hard for me to accept you as someone who is a fiddler and technology adventurer if you have the S1 and only on your second OS update. Ther is no way in the world the S1 is "rock solid" as you put it, yet you admit to doing battery pulls every few days.

I'm not going to get into all of it here, but the S1, and to a lesser extent the S2, have many short comings. They both suffer from stability issues, lags, lock-ups, 10 minute reboots, truntcated emails that are not in true html format, have horrible web browsers that are both limited and slow, have limited (and more costly) applications along with a very limited capacity of how many can be installed (especially the S1), and just aren't that reliable. How many people on Crackberry has posted about all the exchanges for problems? I've had several exchanges of my own. The S1 and S2 will always be a bit of a black eye for RIM.

I for one actually use my smartphone for everything imagainable. I have 2,000 to 4,000 minutes of phone calls every month, visit dozens of web pages a day for buisness information and enjoyment, send and recieve over a hundred emails per day, send and recieve dozens of BBM's, SMS, and a few MMS every day, and fiddle with my phone during any downtime in between. I never can make it past 2pm without charging the battery. I've spend countless hours backing up, wiping, and loading OS versions since I got the S1 at launch. I can no longer live with issues I have with the S2. I've tried every official and hybrid OS imaginable on both the S1 and S2. Not having OS6 and the webkit on the S2 is pretty much the last straw. Not having Verizon and RIM step forward with a decent exchange program for the S1 to S2 leads me to believe that there will be little to nothing for the S2 refresh or S3. RIM has failed to move their OS development forward at the pace, or with any creativeness, that their competitors have. Perhaps RIM is happy to be the corporate phone of choice, but that is changing too.

It's not a done deal yet, but I will be getting the Droid X ASAP and be putting to the full 30 day test. If at the end of the 30 day trial period I feel its a better choice for my needs, it will be bye bye RIM and hello Android. My S2 will be up for sale and RIM will loose yet another "real" smartphone user, not just a crackberry head that likes instant truncated emails and accpets the junk RIM is pumping out these days.
    08-01-10 12:49 PM
    @uvarules...seriously its hard for me to accept you as someone who is a fiddler and technology adventurer if you have the S1 and only on your second OS update. Ther is no way in the world the S1 is "rock solid" as you put it, yet you admit to doing battery pulls every few days.

I'm not going to get into all of it here, but the S1, and to a lesser extent the S2, have many short comings. They both suffer from stability issues, lags, lock-ups, 10 minute reboots, truntcated emails that are not in true html format, have horrible web browsers that are both limited and slow, have limited (and more costly) applications along with a very limited capacity of how many can be installed (especially the S1), and just aren't that reliable. How many people on Crackberry has posted about all the exchanges for problems? I've had several exchanges of my own. The S1 and S2 will always be a bit of a black eye for RIM.

I for one actually use my smartphone for everything imagainable. I have 2,000 to 4,000 minutes of phone calls every month, visit dozens of web pages a day for buisness information and enjoyment, send and recieve over a hundred emails per day, send and recieve dozens of BBM's, SMS, and a few MMS every day, and fiddle with my phone during any downtime in between. I never can make it past 2pm without charging the battery. I've spend countless hours backing up, wiping, and loading OS versions since I got the S1 at launch. I can no longer live with issues I have with the S2. I've tried every official and hybrid OS imaginable on both the S1 and S2. Not having OS6 and the webkit on the S2 is pretty much the last straw. Not having Verizon and RIM step forward with a decent exchange program for the S1 to S2 leads me to believe that there will be little to nothing for the S2 refresh or S3. RIM has failed to move their OS development forward at the pace, or with any creativeness, that their competitors have. Perhaps RIM is happy to be the corporate phone of choice, but that is changing too.

It's not a done deal yet, but I will be getting the Droid X ASAP and be putting to the full 30 day test. If at the end of the 30 day trial period I feel its a better choice for my needs, it will be bye bye RIM and hello Android. My S2 will be up for sale and RIM will loose yet another "real" smartphone user, not just a crackberry head that likes instant truncated emails and accpets the junk RIM is pumping out these days.

Read my post and look at my signature. Rock solid since the second OS update, not just two updates. My signature indicates my OS trail...

Honestly, I could care less what you believe. I just don't random post "crap" for the heck of it.

My experience is my experience, sorry it doesn't work for you..
    08-01-10 01:19 PM
    I have a BB Storm, NE2 in Aug '10. I can't wait to get something else so I can run this POS over with my truck.
    08-01-10 02:24 PM
    Read my post and look at my signature. Rock solid since the second OS update, not just two updates. My signature indicates my OS trail...
    Sorry...missed that. FWIW I tried virtually every OS update ever created for the S1 before I got the S2. Since then I've skipped a few hybrids for the S2, but "rock solid" certainly isn't anywhere near the term that I'd use to describe my experience.

Honestly, I could care less what you believe. I just don't random post "crap" for the heck of it.
    Same here pal...I certainly don't think of my posting as random "crap" and could care less what you believe.

My experience is my experience, sorry it doesn't work for you..
    So glad for you that your "experience" has been so wonderful and that you think pulling batteries every few days is a "rock solid experience." I will be trying out the Moto Droid X because I need a better smartphone, not another "technology adventure." Good luck with your adventure. I will cherish getting back a few more hours of my life, instead of back-up, wipe, load OS, load back-up, reload 3rd party apps, and pray, every few days or weeks between the latest OS attempt.
    08-01-10 03:43 PM
    NE2 date in September. Storm 2 refresh just doesn't sound compelling so probably will wait to see what LTE devices are out come Spring/Summer 2011. I've been using BlackBerries since 2001 but other devices are starting to have more appeal.

08-01-10 04:12 PM
    Mine is 03/2011. I'm waiting for the clam shell 9670, but actually I might just try to find a droid eris. Its all about the form factor and the droid wasn't for me and I don't care for browser speed, meaning I don't use the browser that much to jump ship to the androids, but I appreciate the speed, don't get me wrong.

My Tour is just fine and actually it will be a year on the 13th this month since I been with the blackberry world and with the same phone. Yes my track ball is fine. : )

Last edited by not_addicted77; 08-01-10 at 05:30 PM.
    08-01-10 05:26 PM
    Mine's not for over another damn year!!! I got one of the last storm 1s and I want to jump ship already!!!
    08-05-10 12:22 PM
    Mine's not for over another damn year!!! I got one of the last storm 1s and I want to jump ship already!!!

08-05-10 06:37 PM
    Sorry...missed that. FWIW I tried virtually every OS update ever created for the S1 before I got the S2. Since then I've skipped a few hybrids for the S2, but "rock solid" certainly isn't anywhere near the term that I'd use to describe my experience.

Same here pal...I certainly don't think of my posting as random "crap" and could care less what you believe.

So glad for you that your "experience" has been so wonderful and that you think pulling batteries every few days is a "rock solid experience." I will be trying out the Moto Droid X because I need a better smartphone, not another "technology adventure." Good luck with your adventure. I will cherish getting back a few more hours of my life, instead of back-up, wipe, load OS, load back-up, reload 3rd party apps, and pray, every few days or weeks between the latest OS attempt.
    My experience is that the phone is rock solid as well. As for battery pulls, I might do one every few weeks and even then it's not really necessary. I do it just to clear up some memory.
    08-07-10 01:30 PM
    I'm a power user and the Storm series can't keep up. Seeing what crap RIM just put out the door as their new flagship...the 9800 Torch (maybe a power house in late 2008, but certainly not now), new additional issues with my Storm2 (only the headset can keep a connection - it flip flops between handset, bluetooth, and headset when used as handset or bluetooth) and no plans for webkit browser or OS6 for the Storm2, I just placed my order for the Droid X on the first day of my NE2 eligibility. At least Motorola provides updates for their smartphones and builds a solid product. I can't say the same for RIM.

So another Storm2 bites the dust. Maybe some day RIM will rebound, but they are looking like Palm more every day.
    08-07-10 01:44 PM
    I have the Storm 2 and my NE2 was up last month. I am not interested in a Droid so I am waiting for Verizon to come out with the Iphone. I like that phone and it is only a few months away from availability so it's no big deal. I am interested in the Storm 3 if it comes out before I leave Blackberry.
    08-07-10 02:42 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD