Hey,

I have a 9700 that I got back in December, and I have a problem.

Just today, my 9700 started exhibiting a strange problem whereby it will not produce ANY sound at all for not only incoming calls, texts, e-mails, etc. but also it won't play any sound if a play an mp3.

I've done numerous OS reloads, tried different versions of OS, but nothing.

What I have found, though, is that if I push in on the screen slightly, it will produce sound. Why is this? Has anyone experienced a similar issue?

Thanks!
    07-19-10 10:16 PM
    I had exactly the same problem last week, but when I posted here nobody seemed to know how to fix it.

It seems this problem was fairly common with 9000 and there are a number of How To's posted around, but unfortunately nothing for 9700.

In the end I took it to a mobile reapir shop who fixed it in under 30mins but charged me �60 for the privilige! Apparently if you unlock your phone it voids the warranty, not that RIM will fix it for you even if you ask.

Hopefully someone smart here will come up with a guide to fix this annoying problem soon.
    07-20-10 10:13 AM
    i see your with rogers if you got the phone from the call em up an tell them the speaker is blown and you have tried reloading the os. they will send u a new one under the warrenty replacement program. happend to me about a month ago just make sure theres no physical damage to the phone
    07-20-10 10:52 AM
    Thanks! I got a replacement. Now I have a white one.
    07-20-10 12:29 PM
    I had got this problem too.
    I just disassemblied the faceplate, and screwed a little the left-top screw.
    It seems just to be a little electronic contact-problem..
    07-20-10 02:17 PM
    Could you post a bit more detailed explanation of how you took the phone apart, as I couldn't see how the top part would even come apart to have a look? The. guys who fixed mine said it was a contact problem as well

Do you need any special tools?
    07-21-10 02:22 AM
    Apparently if you unlock your phone it voids the warranty, not that RIM will fix it for you even if you ask.
    this is not true. unlocking does NOT void the factory warranty. unbranding, if it were possible on this model, would.

Could you post a bit more detailed explanation of how you took the phone apart, as I couldn't see how the top part would even come apart to have a look? The. guys who fixed mine said it was a contact problem as well

Do you need any special tools?
    there are many videos and how-to's posted on the web. it requires a T5 or T6 screwdriver and a case seperating tool. you pop off the bottom piece under the keypad and take out the screws under it. then carefully pry the top bezel up then slide it off the top of the phone. the whole top section comes off in one piece to expose the insides of the top of the phone. just look the video up and you will see.
    07-21-10 03:45 AM
    Thanks for the info, the voiding the warranty was told to me by a RIM employee when I phoned the helpline.

I bought my phone off a friend who had a free o2 upgrade that he did not need, as my contract with Orange runs for another 6 months I unlocked the phone to Orange. As I knew Orange would not help me as they did not provide the phone & I do not have an o2 account I thought with the serial number / IMIE no. etc that RIM would realise that this was a brand new phone & cover it under warranty that was when I was told that unlocking voids any warranty.

You can imagine how happy I was about that!
    07-21-10 03:14 PM
    I just got passport and having same issue when an incoming calls are received no sound,both main volume and notifications volume is set to high all other notifications sms, bbm, whatsapp works but only incoming calls don't. I've already tried reloading the software twice. What I've noticed is before restoring the data back the incoming call notification can be heard and after restoring my data sound is lost. Any suggestions how i can fix this please? I'm running 10.3.0.908 operator etisalat.
    12-21-14 11:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD