I wanted to try and warranty out my old Storm so I went to downgrade to .328 from Lyr's .419 based .748 hybrid. Uninstalled all other device software versions, installed .328 directly from VZW, wiped with BBSAK, and started the AppLoader. This is when I first started getting this reboot loop. The progress bar would pop up for about 2 seconds before a white screen appears very quickly with the word "Reset" in the middle and some other typing in the background which I can't ever make out. If I unplug the phone it goes to the typical 507 Error screen. But as soon as I connect it back to the USB, BAM! back in the loop. Phone is bricked in my eyes so I take it to VZW. The cust serv rep is typically ignorant and just warranties out the phone when I say I was just trying to upgrade to .328. I bring this BRAND NEW/REFURB storm1 back to my computer to load all my backup data and apps. Connect to the USB and BAM! reset loop. I have since removed every BB related program, app, file, anything with BB or RIM associations. Ran a complete virus scan, and even a registry scan. Still getting the same problem. Today, I am going to try and connect to a computer at work to see if it might possibly just be my USB chord (all the contacts look fine to me and no real wear and tear). PLEASE HELP!!
    07-17-10 03:29 PM
    That is an odd problem. Did you try a different USB port on your PC?
    07-17-10 04:05 PM
    That is an odd problem. Did you try a different USB port on your PC?
    Yes, I tried all 3 usb ports on my laptop which is running windows 7 ultimate x64. Been installing leaks and hybrids for a while with no problems.

I have since connected to a work computer and everything is hunky dory. This is really really weird and the problem obviously lies in my puter which I take particularly good care of. Think I might try a system restore and of that's not the solution then its a complete reinstall of the OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-10 04:21 PM
    Did you use the same USB cable at work as at home? The cable could be the problem.

07-17-10 07:00 PM
    Same cable. Pretty sure the problem lies within my pc. I've removed, at least I think, all traces of rim s.ware but might there be a leftover driver or registry value I could be missing?

07-17-10 07:29 PM
    I don't know how easy it is to remove all the RIM code. Windows is notorious for orphaned code. But it's hard to imagine any RIM driver or registry setting that would produce the result you are seeing. Maybe it's something else you are running at home that's interacting with your BlackBerry?

07-17-10 07:36 PM
    There are no other applications running on the pc. My startup is at a bare minimum. I'm going to check to see if there is a service or process running in the background when I get back. Appreciate the ideas, but like I said this is very strange. Still haven't tried a sys restore or windows reinstall yet.

07-17-10 07:46 PM
    Tried the search function? This has been covered.

07-17-10 09:08 PM
    If it's been covered and you can find it, how about posting the link? Thanks.

07-17-10 09:20 PM
    Actually, yes, I'm not a dipsh*t. Tried every option like forcing the OS load with the battery out, blah blah. I'm looking for help not condescending replies.

07-17-10 09:39 PM
    I'm also having the same issue with a Storm that originally had .419 and I am downgrading to .328. The white screen that flashes says a bunch of things, more notably "Unknown MTP Error". The quick fix is to reload the OS on another PC, as that will work. However, this isn't a good fix (atleast for me) as the PC I usually sync my Blackberry with has my Outlook calender and everything else.

If you reload .419 it will work, also if you downgrade back to 4.7 it wil work aswell. There is something with the .328 OS that is wonky and seems to only occur when .419 was previously installed.
    07-17-10 09:53 PM
    Appreciate the advice, but the error is happening on a new phone as well. The new phone comes with .328 which it reboots fine after I unplug the device from my PC. I will be able to reload my most recent backup with a thumb drive and another computer so that's not the concern either. I would just like to fix without a fresh install of windows.

07-17-10 10:21 PM
    Hmmm.... interesting that it happens on a new device with .328. I wonder whats going on then, as I thught it only happened with devices that were downgrading from .419 or higher.
    07-17-10 10:25 PM
    There is one thing you haven’t tried which is related to the USB controller
    Go to device manager and then universal serial bus controllers; uninstall all entries. Make sure you unplug all devices first except of course your keyboard and mouse. Then one by one let windows reinstall all devices.
    If you have many USB devices like me and you often unplug them and replug them in different ports, I think it creates bad entries over time and the ports becomes unusable. I had several problems with hard drives and mice. This is something that happens since xp to now win 7 64 on several computers.
    I think once you have more than like 2 ports (over 8 for me and USB hub), the controller can handle it too well.

Hope it helps
    07-18-10 03:57 PM
    Wow! Finally someone with the same problem as i have. I reinstalled back to .328 on another computer. I took every trace of RIM off my laptop and loaded it all back on. but when I tried to USB the same old white screen and reboot loop happened again. So I am scratching my head again...
    07-18-10 11:19 PM
    There is one thing you haven�t tried which is related to the USB controller
    Go to device manager and then universal serial bus controllers; uninstall all entries. Make sure you unplug all devices first except of course your keyboard and mouse. Then one by one let windows reinstall all devices.
    If you have many USB devices like me and you often unplug them and replug them in different ports, I think it creates bad entries over time and the ports becomes unusable. I had several problems with hard drives and mice. This is something that happens since xp to now win 7 64 on several computers.
    I think once you have more than like 2 ports (over 8 for me and USB hub), the controller can handle it too well.

Hope it helps
    Tried what you suggested and nada....same cycle.
    I would hate to have clean install Windows. I guess it is the only thing left to do at this point...lemme think on that.
    07-19-10 12:03 AM
    I don't think a clean install of Windows helps this problem at all. The phone resets even if Windows isn't running. Try this: Plug the phone in just as its turned on (before Windows even starts loading), or boot to a command line prompt. You'll find that the phone resets itself aswell. My Curve, and my Storm 1 running any OS other than .328 will just start charging (as it should).

This leads me to think that the issue is with .328 and the USB connection and is seperate from a Windows OS issue.

07-19-10 01:29 AM
    "This leads me to think that the issue is with .328 and the USB connection and is seperate from a Windows OS issue."

This just leads to the question of why on other PC's set up with .328, my phone works fine as it did on my laptop before going to .419. It was when I downgraded to .328, I experienced the recycle. It has to be something in the downgrade process that messed with things, something a registry clean or a system restore cannot fix. I guess I will break down and accept the headache of doing a clean install.
    07-19-10 11:23 AM
    Exact same thing happened to me.Both my laptops would put the BB into a loop.I tried everything that was mentioned and still a problem.Verizon replaced my Storm twice and each one would do the same.Finally a friend came over with the same Storm and his synced up fine.A phone call to Verizon later and 10 minutes with support and I got a Storm 2 instead at no charge.Synced perfectly and works great.
    07-19-10 12:33 PM
    I have been having the same problem. I've gone through everything mentioned here except reinstalling Windows. I uninstalled everything blackberry, deleted directories, deleted some registry keys, and uninstalled the USB drivers. Then I downloaded all the Blackberry software again from the website just to be sure I didn't have a corrupted file. I'm running Windows XP and never had any issues installing any software until I tried to reinstall 328. Verizon also sent me a new phone with 328 installed and the same problem would happen. I spent about 6 hours on the phone with Blackberry support and was never able to resolve the problem. I then installed the Blackberry desktop on my desktop and the phone connects fine. The solution from Blackberry was to leave the Mobility (419) software on the phone because it works fine.
    07-19-10 09:05 PM
    Well like I said I would earlier, I did a clean install of Windows. Installed all Blackberry software for .328, as well as Desktop Manager. I plugged my phone to USB and everything is back to normal. I just wish there was an easier fix to this.
    Oh well now i have the daunting task of restoring my backups.
    07-19-10 10:03 PM
    I have also done everything thats mention above. Tried different cables and same problem. connect a different blackberry to my laptop and it worked fine. Connect my storm to friends computer its connects and i can access my files. But once connected to my laptop it goes through the same loop. I'm running windows 7 and 328
    07-20-10 01:54 AM
    The problem relates to syncing the old device with your computer. Uninstalling everything rim related is first, then clean the reg, then make sure that the sync files are gone. Reboot. Retry. This has happened to many people. If I had access to a computer to post the link, I would.

07-20-10 11:02 PM
    The problem relates to syncing the old device with your computer. Uninstalling everything rim related is first, then clean the reg, then make sure that the sync files are gone. Reboot. Retry. This has happened to many people. If I had access to a computer to post the link, I would.
    Any link you have would greatly be appreciated cause I have tried what u suggested and still have the same issue. it sucks not be able to connect my phone to my computer.

07-21-10 12:51 AM
    I had the same problem.

My old device on .419 worked on my home and work PC. The new device with .328 could connect to the home PC but not the work PC and would go into the reboot cycle. I got a second new device from VZW and had the same issue.

My Solution: Using the home PC I updated the new device to a hybrid (but .419 would probably work) and it could connect to both PCs. FWIW, the work PC is XP and the home PC is Vista.

FYI, I did not have to alter the work PC at all, the only thing I did besides waste hours troubleshooting and getting a device replacement was to update the OS from .328 to a hybrid.
    07-21-10 01:15 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD