This is not a thread about RIM moving to Android or recommending RIM move to Android.

I bring this up because I installed the Android SDK, and created my own "BlackDroid" - an Android emulator running at 480x360 with touchscreen, keyboard, SD card storage, etc. (i.e. the 9700 with a touchscreen running android) and it got me thinking - why is no one (as in, geeks) working on a port of Android to a BlackBerry (like they are for WinMo phones)? I'm sure there's a reason, I was just wondering why. Can anyone satisfy my curiosity?

I would love to see a port community develop, and dissatisfied blackberry 6 users could install android and still have great bb hardware/keyboards.
    07-16-10 02:27 PM
    Blackberries and a Androids use two different computer codings to make the device itself work.

as far as Windows Mobile and Apple being able to run android ROMS, Apples, and WinMo use the same type of files that the computer so it's a little different. And WinMo, have open SPLs so you can load secondary ROMs on to those devices. and androids have an open SPL once rooted so you can run secondary ROMs on rooted devices. Blackberries have LOCKED SPLs, and Bootloaders so you cannot mess with the ROMs on Blackberries.... they are locked down to tight......

Edit: i think someone did port Android to RIM, but they call it Blackberry6.
    Last edited by mjneid; 07-20-10 at 07:49 AM.
    07-19-10 02:41 PM
    This is not a thread about RIM moving to Android or recommending RIM move to Android.

I bring this up because I installed the Android SDK, and created my own "BlackDroid" - an Android emulator running at 480x360 with touchscreen, keyboard, SD card storage, etc. (i.e. the 9700 with a touchscreen running android) and it got me thinking - why is no one (as in, geeks) working on a port of Android to a BlackBerry (like they are for WinMo phones)? I'm sure there's a reason, I was just wondering why. Can anyone satisfy my curiosity?

I would love to see a port community develop, and dissatisfied blackberry 6 users could install android and still have great bb hardware/keyboards.
    wow that sounds cool I would like to hear more about what you did pm me I'm really interested in what you have done

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-10 06:34 AM
    Biggest problem is that only the storm/torch have touchscreens, so nothing else could really run it.
    08-20-10 06:01 PM
    Problem is that you apparently need to get into the low level firmware to do this and that requires special engineering software from RIM. In other words, not going to happen any time soon. (From what I read anyhow).

08-22-10 04:14 PM
    Ok well I got another question why is it that no one can seem to make a music file sharing app for bb is that impossible to do I'd love to see an app that let people get free music like lime wire or bearshare that would be cool do you guys on here no if anyone out there is working on this

08-22-10 05:23 PM
    isn't the iphone locked down the same? They did port it to the iphone.

08-26-10 10:14 AM
    From what I've gathered (I'm not a programmer) this is how it goes.
    HARDWARE: Could be done on a touchscreen (Storm/Slider)
    LOW-LEVEL FIRMWARE/PROGRAMMING: Cannot yet be done, due to some sort of protection RIM has on how the BlackBerrys are programmed - think splash screens, carrier identification, etc. Things that can be somewhat erased and modified, but as of yet there's no tool to really get down into the guts of the BlackBerry and change this.
    This makes sense to me, and I'm assuming I'm right... no one quote me on this, I'll use the edit button to delete this post and deny ever saying it
    08-26-10 04:35 PM
    It could be done when the radio files are reverse-engineered. I looked into that a while ago, but no one really bothered.

If you can, however, find a security hole inside the JVM that runs on the BlackBerry you could, theoretically, get root (like on Android) and access the hardware directly. But this hasn't been done... yet.
    08-26-10 06:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD