Just saw some hightlights from Apple's press conference and Jobs showed signal attenuation on a 9700 to prove that it happens on most smartphones and not just the iPhone 4...don't know about you guys, but I tried it on mine and didn't see anything like what he showed. Even a reporter asked Jobs during the Q&A how he held the 9700 because he was unable to replicate it and Jobs completely sidestepped the question...hilarious.
    Last edited by phaijai; 07-16-10 at 01:59 PM. Reason: spelling
    07-16-10 01:53 PM
    Yeah.. hes totally full of himself.. Ive tried multiple times in different areas, different days and could never get it to drop a call or even lose signal strength lol....

How many people complain about lost reception or dropped calls from holding it wrong?? Wow, but not surprised from Lord Jobs, didn't expect anything less (you know, like professional).
    07-16-10 01:57 PM
    Go to advanced options and status. That way you can see your signal in dBm. It does get worse when you grip the phone a certain way. Not enough to affect the signal bars that you see, but there is a change.
    07-16-10 02:00 PM

Yea, I don't know what the **** he did to it. When Apple first starting saying things about RIMs phones having the same issues, many many CB users posted their results gripping, grabbing, and handling their phones every way imaginable and weren't able to produce drops in signal anywhere near what the iPhone 4 sees. As usual, what they (Apple PR-machine) are saying has a small kernel of truth (signal strength degrades when handled, yes) that is stretched to the max... RIM devices, just as all smartphones, have signal strength drops when handled, but its no where near what the iPhone 4 is experiencing. Consumer reports demonstrated this too in their little isolation chambers with a slew of ATT phones just last week.
    Last edited by d5115r; 07-16-10 at 02:04 PM.
    07-16-10 02:00 PM
    Yeah, no doubt when I check it can briefly go from -70 to -81 (thats it) but without moving my hand/s, it will go right back to -70....
    07-16-10 02:01 PM
    Steve Jobs is my hero ...
    07-16-10 02:03 PM
    I have the iPhone 4 (for the moment) and there is a 9700 here in my office. I tried to replicate that nonsense he was spewing today at the PC on the 9700 in a spot where I absolutely can do it with my iPhone.

I was not successful.
    07-16-10 02:11 PM
    Apple - Smartphone Antenna Performance

I couldn't replicate it either, but I'm also maybe 100 yards from a tower. I'll have to try when I get home.
    07-16-10 02:15 PM
    I was able to replicate it to the point of going SOS on the signal holding my 9700 just like Steve'O there did.

Of course to do it, I had to go down to the basement of this 90+ year old Steel frame and heavily re-enforced concrete building I work in and practically lock myself inside the VAULT where we store old files!!!!

My co-worker has an iPhone 4 and just had to take the bumper off and put it in his left hand to lose signal.... I guess somethings REALLY ARE easier on the iPhone!!!!
    07-16-10 02:22 PM
    BWHAHAHAHA... good post ^
    07-16-10 02:25 PM
    Looks like it's an AT&T issue....rofl
    07-16-10 02:25 PM
    Yeah.....anyone (read: iPhone apologists) that still wants to blame AT&T anymore might as well go ahead now and pull their head out of the sand.

I think, if anything, we've learned that all these years of blaming AT&T for poor the poor performance iPhone users have been experiencing may not have been AT&T's fault after all.
    07-16-10 02:29 PM
    Looks like it's an AT&T issue....rofl
    exactly what i was thinking...

looks like more of a ATT problem.
    07-16-10 02:30 PM
    exactly what i was thinking...

looks like more of a ATT problem.
    ATT Problem being an acronym for:

Apple's Terrible Technology!!
    07-16-10 02:52 PM
    ATT Problem being an acronym for:
    Apple's Terrible Technology!!

BUT they were tested in the coolest of cool, multimillion dollar rooms with sharp pointy things all over! Look [HERE].
    07-16-10 02:59 PM
    Just because someone has a cool hammer does not mean they won't bust the he!! out of their thumb if they don't use it right!
    07-16-10 03:01 PM
    I tried with two bold 9700's one on Rogers and one on Bell none of the reception dropped.

Found this during the Q&A and found it funny.

10:41AM Q: I can't get my Bold to drop right now, maybe you can show me how to do it?
    Steve: You may not see it in certain areas.
    07-16-10 03:06 PM
    I tried my best to do it. Doesn't work.
    07-16-10 03:26 PM
    I guess somethings REALLY ARE easier on the iPhone!!!!
    That was funny!
    07-16-10 04:42 PM

Anyone confirm? I really have no idea what the audio is all about :P
    07-16-10 04:53 PM

Anyone confirm? I really have no idea what the audio is all about :P
    I tried doing that, and it worked...sort of. I lost one bar.

Edit: I held it for a long time like that, and lost two bars but I regained one bar after a second or two.
    Last edited by Karmaloop; 07-16-10 at 05:03 PM.
    07-16-10 05:01 PM
    I tried doing that, and it worked...sort of. I lost one bar.

Edit: I held it for a long time like that, and lost two bars but I regained one bar after a second or two.
    Thus, that type of grip is similar to one holding the phone near their face, or certain grips for texting? I want more people to look into this, just to confirm if they experience similar problems.
    07-16-10 05:19 PM
    Yeah, no doubt when I check it can briefly go from -70 to -81 (thats it) but without moving my hand/s, it will go right back to -70....
    Exact same with mine.

Just your typical damage control from Apple.
    07-16-10 05:34 PM
    Yeah.....anyone (read: iPhone apologists) that still wants to blame AT&T anymore might as well go ahead now and pull their head out of the sand.

I think, if anything, we've learned that all these years of blaming AT&T for poor the poor performance iPhone users have been experiencing may not have been AT&T's fault after all.
    Thank you. Nobody reported problems with AT&T on such a large scale until the iPhone hit. I've used a multitude of smartphones (see signature) and always experienced great service in several locations, as well as traveling. I nabbed an iPhone (3GS) and started dropping calls left and right. The problem is the iPhone. Steve Jobs ftw .
    07-16-10 06:28 PM
    Thus, that type of grip is similar to one holding the phone near their face, or certain grips for texting? I want more people to look into this, just to confirm if they experience similar problems.
    It's more similar to when you're on the phone, but you have to hold it really close and tight. I doubt anyone holds there phone like that.
    07-16-10 06:59 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD