RIM Looks Desperate in BlackBerry 6 Preview - Yahoo! News

The writer of the article neglects to mention all the features of the current BB OS 5 that apple and android did not have (and still do not have) and had to play catch up to. And the writer says the 9800's slider design is reminiscent of the mytouch 3g slide and droid. Correct me if I'm wrong. But aren't those devices horizontal sliders?...*****
    07-14-10 06:39 PM
    RIM Looks Desperate in BlackBerry 6 Preview - Yahoo! News

Correct me if I'm wrong. But aren't those devices horizontal sliders?...*****
    I believe the writer was generalizing the 3 devices. The Moto Droid, MyTouch Slide, and 9800 are all sliders regardless of which direction they slide.
    07-14-10 06:50 PM
    Oh boy...the gem that is PC World...

There's so many screw ups in that article it's pointless even going in to...
    07-14-10 07:19 PM
    Great article...... funny.... this article says everything that several of us have posted here and have been criticized for by most of the BB addicts. It doesnt take rocket science to tell that RIM doesnt know what they are doing.
    Again... wake up and smell the coffee RIM. I for one cant wait for my upgrade date, what I have seen on this delayed OS..... it stinks in comparison
    07-14-10 07:22 PM
    Very true jazzy new hampshire guy, i mean one of the top 5 cell phone companies in the world could use your insight. I think we all could. What should be done next?
    07-14-10 07:26 PM
    Wow if that didn't seem biased towards android or iphone. What about multi-tasking and all that stuff that the iphone barely put on their phones? And it may be adding a few more long awaited features but still looks like a BB UI and that's what I want in my phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-10 07:34 PM
    Remember kids, anything put on a iphone or android is automatically "innovative", even if they took it from someone else...
    07-14-10 08:08 PM
    Very true jazzy new hampshire guy, i mean one of the top 5 cell phone companies in the world could use your insight. I think we all could. What should be done next?
    Gee... I dont know nor do I care what YOU want D March. Your obviously an over the hill executive that still thinks RIM rocks the world.You must be a BP executive.
    I bet you think that Atari is the best in video games too.... after all, Atari has paddle ball and the Wii or X-Box dont. Shame on technological advances. Why fix what isnt broke... isnt that the way ?... oh wait.... Im on my 4th Storm 2 now...
    07-14-10 08:09 PM
    Gee... I dont know nor do I care what YOU want D March. Your obviously an over the hill executive that still thinks RIM rocks the world. I bet you think that Atari is the best in video games too.... after all, Atari has paddle ball and the Wii or X-Box dont. Shame on technological advances. Why fix what isnt broke... isnt that the way ?... oh wait.... Im on my 4th Storm 2 now...
    Calling someone an executive probably isn't the best way to insult them, just fyi.

You tried a personal insult (against the board TOS) and failed pretty badly at it too...
    07-14-10 08:10 PM
    Gee... I dont know nor do I care what YOU want D March. Your obviously an over the hill executive that still thinks RIM rocks the world.You must be a BP executive.
    I bet you think that Atari is the best in video games too.... after all, Atari has paddle ball and the Wii or X-Box dont. Shame on technological advances. Why fix what isnt broke... isnt that the way ?... oh wait.... Im on my 4th Storm 2 now...
    Then why do you still bother? That's really what I can't get about people.. Tehy choose a device it's know for the business reputation and then complain when it's outperformed by the games/media oriented smartphones out there? Am I THAT stupid that I can't see what's going on here? Or it is people not doing their homework when it comes to picking up what they actually NEED instead of what they think they want?

Calling someone an executive probably isn't the best way to insult them, just fyi.

You tried a personal insult (against the board TOS) and failed pretty badly at it too...
    We miss you at the 8500's board... Your sarcasm is something we could use on some threads there! Beg of you to pay us a visit!
    07-14-10 08:16 PM

Against the board TOS ??? This board is full of personal insults daily. And does being an executive automatically guarantee someone not to be less than arrogant or smart ?
    I could name a few public executives of highly visible global companies that have demonstrated less than stellar brains.... or would naming them be against the TOS of this very bias board ?
    07-14-10 08:18 PM
    i bet 6 will be great!
    07-14-10 08:20 PM
    Against the board TOS ??? This board is full of personal insults daily. And does being an executive automatically guarantee someone not to be less than arrogant or smart ?
    I could name a few public executives of highly visible global companies that have demonstrated less than stellar brains.... or would naming them be against the TOS of this very bias board ?
    I would tell you to go visit a less biased board, but I'd be wasting my time wouldn't I...

We all know why you're here.
    07-14-10 08:21 PM
    Tehy choose a device it's know for the business reputation and then complain when it's outperformed by the games/media oriented smartphones out there? Am I THAT stupid that I can't see what's going on here? Or it is people not doing their homework when it comes to picking up what they actually NEED instead of what they think they want?

Actually, I specifically recall that when RIM launched the S1, they dubbed it "The Iphone Killer" as well as publically stating that they wanted to enter more of the CONSUMER markets.

So ya.... you are that stupid... and yes I DID my homework.... google it....

THis article is from 2007,,,,, RIM trying to target consumers...

RIM targets consumer market with new Blackberry products | Developer World - InfoWorld
    07-14-10 08:24 PM
    Actually, I specifically recall that when RIM launched the S1, they dubbed it "The Iphone Killer" as well as publically stating that they wanted to enter more of the CONSUMER markets.

So ya.... you are that stupid... and yes I DID my homework.... google it....

THis article is from 2007,,,,, RIM trying to target consumers...

RIM targets consumer market with new Blackberry products | Developer World - InfoWorld
    Now this is against the board's TOS...

I usually don't feed trolls (and that's what papped was talking about) but let's play your game: The work iPhone does not show even once in the aid article. Rim trying to go consumer-friendly does not mean they will drop what they do best, does it?

Now let's google:

storm iphone killer blackberry.com - Pesquisa Google

storm iphone killer RIM - Pesquisa Google

I find no official RIM statement saying it was. Find it for me, since you did your homework, I am quite sure you actually have the link for that.

Go get an Android. Or the iPhone 4 (even with the death grip, it's still a good device). Nobody (well, mostly) will blame you. But really, coming to CB to troll around is... hmm... sad. To keep it polite.
    Last edited by diegonei; 07-14-10 at 08:35 PM.
    07-14-10 08:27 PM
    Hmm - I consider myself a realist about RIM's prospects (not looking good), but even I'd say the article was hyperbolic.

First, let's be realistic about the audience for the latest BB 6 teaser: it's analysts, not smartphone buyers. The last time RIM released a spot like this was at WES - another event covered heavily by analysts. Guess what happened yesterday? Their annual general meeting. Keep in mind that a lot of major institutions have taken a bath on RIM stock and they're probably wondering if RIM will be able to pull itself out of a tailspin. This was put together to display 'progress'.

That said, if I were an analyst I'd have seriously mixed reactions about this video.

The good:
    • It looks like RIM is cleaning up the look and feel and making the OS feel more coherent. That itself is a step forward.
    • Noticeable focus on touch screens. People expect touch screens nowadays, and it's good to see that RIM is at least trying to catch up on that front.

The bad:
    • It's more of the same. The video shows RIM playing to its traditional strengths: messaging. What it doesn't show are cool 3rd party apps, cool games, etc. In other words, OS 6 simply looks like another feature phone OS where the feature is messaging, not a smartphone OS. (Also, messaging depends on the network effect and Apple is gobbling up RIM's market share each quarter. Soon there won't be many BBM users left.)
    • No mention of how RIM is addressing a major weakness, namely poor developer tools and support.
    • No mention of whether traditional issues like poor software reliability, user annoyances like truncated email, incomplete integration with other services, etc. are being addressed.

I don't think it was a desperate video, but it certainly wasn't mind-blowing either.
    Last edited by allengeorge; 07-14-10 at 08:31 PM.
    07-14-10 08:28 PM
    Now this is against the board's TOS...
    Not when in response to a direct question.
    07-14-10 08:30 PM

[...]
    Can you find me a link where RIM stated the S1 was going to be an iPhone Killer?
    07-14-10 08:32 PM
    I'm not an executive, I work in research and compliance in research...diabetes, aids, cancer, obesity...stuff like that. That being said, I am in no way smarter than most people to be honest and I am not more aware or capable of recognizing the perfect smart phone. I did pick my favorite and most desired out of the options and that was and is the BB 9700. Jazz nh I responded to you as I did because I felt your response was arrogant, aggressive and ill informed. That's it. I hope you find a phone that makes you happy and satisfies your needs.
    07-14-10 08:34 PM
    Yeah... The CEO of an fruit brand over the past few weeks. lol
    07-14-10 08:42 PM
    Can you find me a link where RIM stated the S1 was going to be an iPhone Killer?
    Here you go PDM...... not a RIM article, but referencing RIMs announcement of the Iphone killer

Blackberry Storm-Maybe the iPhone Killer
    Last edited by Jazz_nh; 07-14-10 at 08:47 PM.
    07-14-10 08:44 PM
    Not when in response to a direct question.
    Funny how you decided to ignore the rest of my post.

Lacking arguments are we? I can tell... "taken by storm" quite some homework!

Guess I can go back to the "don't feed the trolls" policy... Really, when Civic starts moaning, she at least has some real stuff somewhere amidst her rant... And even she isn't complaining that much these days.
    07-14-10 08:46 PM
    Sigh...the only person who referred to it as an iphone killer in that link was the article writer... Pointless...
    07-14-10 08:50 PM
    Here you go PDM...... not a RIM article, but referencing RIMs announcement of the Iphone killer

Fail... the person who wrote this article said that the phone Rim announced could be the IPhone killer. RIM did NOT make that statement. This was someone's personal opinion.
    07-14-10 08:51 PM

Nah sorry, that's just the authors impression of the pending S1 release.

@allengeorge: you had a valid point re no 3rd party apps/games. I suppose the problem is with RIM themselves until they make the OS6 APIs available to the developing community; sooner the better. If I remember correctly there was a slight lag when OS5 was released.
    07-14-10 08:52 PM
88 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD