I currently have an Evo 4g got it on launch day and waiting for my Blackberry Bold to come in from Ebay.

I joined Sprint in June of 2009 so it's been a little over a year.

This is my true device history:

Palm Pre
    Palm Pre
    Blackberry Tour
    Palm Pre
    Touch Diamond
    Treo Pro
    Blackberry Tour
    Blackberry Pearl
    HTC Hero
    Palm Pre
    Blackberry Curve 8330 Inferno
    Palm Pre
    Blackberry Curve 8330 Inferno
    Blackberry Tour
    HTC Hero
    HTC Hero
    HTC Touch Pro 2
    Blackberry 8530
    Blackberry Tour
    Blackberry 8530
    Blackberry 8530
    ............................HTC Evo 4g

I have been around the phone block. I have gone back and forth between devices because of the features of each one. I still have most of these sitting around my house/office so I can always switch to them.

I see a lot of posts of people waffling between the HTC Evo 4g and the Blackberry Bold 9650.

Although I have not yet received mine yet (overnight shipping, comes in tomorrow) I can say that YES Blackberry Are Boring. But even a tech crack head like me can appreciate its UI.

I LOOOOOOVE my Evo, but battery life is horrendous. I have so many cool features (wifi tethering (free), usb tethering) EXCELLENT camera and manyyyy more features. Yet I find that all the features in the world are no good if the phone dies. Half the time I get scared to even use anything on my phone because of the thought that I might be without a charger for 6 hours. Many people say look at it like a Laptop and charging it, but it's safe to say most people dont want to look at it as such.

Blackberry's are excellent communication devices and the battery life is second to none.

IF you are going to get the EVO please bear in mind that even I always come back to blackberry because of reliability and raw communication functions, as well as battery life.

Hope my little story helps.

Welcome back Blackberry
    Last edited by Ali Allen; 07-14-10 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Mispelled Word
    07-14-10 05:35 PM
    I average 16 hours on my EVO with pretty heavy use... Dunno what you're doing different.

*running stock rom with both OTA's*

Not to denigrate BB in any way, but I find my Android phones have been more reliable and just as good, if not better, in every aspect. Of course, that's based on my personal needs, so YMMV as usual.
    07-14-10 06:07 PM
    My history looks pretty close to that, and I have to say the same thing. Everytime I leave Blackberry I come back for one reason or another. All of the fancy things on other phones that come out make me want them, but then after a couple weeks or so I end up going back to my blackberry. I just feel like I am missing something when I am using a phone other then a Berry. I think a lot of people on here are in the same boat.
    07-14-10 06:08 PM
    Yeah, It's Actually Quite Depressing knowing that a phone can cause you to "miss" something. But how true it is.

But to the previous poster, It's wierd yes I run the stock OS (i have always tweaked a little) but liked to keep alll my phones "official". I just dont have time to keep switching roms and trying things around ROM wise.

But I have noticed that some days ill get 10 hours and some ill get hours of usage. It's crazy.
    07-14-10 06:15 PM
    I came back to a Blackberry Bold 9650 (7th Blackberry) from my DROID for the exact same reasons... Should have never left

I was barely getting a day out of my DROID and now I can go hard for two days straight. I love my Blackberry!
    07-14-10 06:38 PM
    I think that's part of the reason they keep the OS so "boring". Battery life on the Blackberry is ridiculous especially SINCE** your pushing Emails all day.
    Last edited by Ali Allen; 07-14-10 at 06:44 PM. Reason: I'm Dumb
    07-14-10 06:42 PM
    I'm sure the Droid and all the other android devices are great devices. But a Blackberry just does what it's supposed to do better that the rest. It handles all your communication needs better than the rest IMO.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-10 07:35 PM
    I average 16 hours on my EVO with pretty heavy use... Dunno what you're doing different.

*running stock rom with both OTA's*

Not to denigrate BB in any way, but I find my Android phones have been more reliable and just as good, if not better, in every aspect. Of course, that's based on my personal needs, so YMMV as usual.
    You average 16 hours on an Evo 4G man that's pretty hard to believe. I hear the average is like 5 hours maybe less before a charge, and that's not on heavy usage.
    07-14-10 07:39 PM
    You average 16 hours on an Evo 4G man that's pretty hard to believe. I hear the average is like 5 hours maybe less before a charge, and that's not on heavy usage.
    Yeah. That is why I got rid of my EVO. I did all the little tips and tricks and was down to just text messaging and a phone call or two and my battery would be dead by lunch and then again by the time I got off of work.
    07-14-10 10:01 PM
    My history looks pretty close to that, and I have to say the same thing. Everytime I leave Blackberry I come back for one reason or another. All of the fancy things on other phones that come out make me want them, but then after a couple weeks or so I end up going back to my blackberry. I just feel like I am missing something when I am using a phone other then a Berry. I think a lot of people on here are in the same boat.
    Yeah you loved that hero for about 3 weeks and then went screaming back for a tour. Lol.

07-14-10 11:51 PM
    follow us to win a free trial of our upcoming TV App!!
    @ MPMediaLab
    07-14-10 11:56 PM
    I too find my self keep coming back to BB. I really dont know why people act like BB is so outdated. I just had a Palm Pre and it is a GREAT phone. Tons of patches. Really fast with overclocking. And the browser is incredible. However, most of the patches the BB can do with out need for that and it does it better. Its just not as visually appealing. My pre broke and now im back to my BB tour and im happy. It seriously does everything that phone can do and does it better with the exception of the browser and the video camera. I fear the browser will never be better (because it will never have pinch to zoom) but it still works and really isnt that horrible. The apps on the pre SUCK. They LOOK good but they suck. I find the apps on BB are way more useful with more features and are easier to use. I cant wait to upgrade to the 9650. If only i had $300 lol.
    07-15-10 11:59 AM
    I'm the same way as the OP. I had a Palm Pre but the battery life was just not good enough for my daily usage. The BlackBerry keyboard is vital as I need a phone with a full fledged keyboard and a good e-mail and SMS app. The BlackBerry does all of these FAST. I love the Palm Pre's web browser, UI and other add-ons but at the end of the day the simple things that the BlackBerry does well make me love the phone.
    07-15-10 12:22 PM
    I came back to a Blackberry Bold 9650 (7th Blackberry) from my DROID for the exact same reasons... Should have never left

I was barely getting a day out of my DROID and now I can go hard for two days straight. I love my Blackberry!
    I'm fairly new to BB, a little less than a year; however, I don't see myself leaving anytime soon. I love my Bold.

My only issue is battery life, on some days I don't get a full day of use, I think I have figured out what the problem is but I don't see vzw fixing it anytime soon. At my home I don't get really good signal, neither do I get good signal inside the building where I work part time (I'm retired but work a couple of day s a week to keep me off the streets and out of trouble and to pay for my golf).

I think if the signal were better in these two places I would have no issues with battery life. I wish I knew how to get vzw to add some towers in my area. We are in a pretty hilly area; thus, signals don't blanket the area as well as they should. It seems to me that the servcie providers should be more tuned into this issue, 'cause "I can't hear you now!"
    07-15-10 12:37 PM
    If you turn on wifi at home it will probably help the battery life.
    07-15-10 12:41 PM
    Wifi helps my battery on my bold at home like crazy.

07-15-10 02:03 PM
    Yeah you loved that hero for about 3 weeks and then went screaming back for a tour. Lol.

Yeah I did! I loved that Hero, it was so much fun, but I just cant live w/out my berry. LOL
    07-15-10 02:19 PM
    Wifi helps my battery on my bold at home like crazy.

I don't really have to worry about my battery life on my 9650 anymore. I am on my 3rd Bold, and they sent new batteries with all of them. Now i have 3 spares. Actually I have 4 of all of the accessories too. LOL
    07-15-10 02:51 PM
    Yeah. That is why I got rid of my EVO. I did all the little tips and tricks and was down to just text messaging and a phone call or two and my battery would be dead by lunch and then again by the time I got off of work.
    When I first got it, 5 hours would have been about right with my normal useage (which is not light) But after getting the battery conditioned fully and getting my sync settings right, and the second OTA, life has skyrocketed. It's much better than I ever got on my Bold 9K if I left it in 3G. (In 2G the bold could go for days, but 3G died within 6 hours unless I really took it easy)
    07-15-10 02:52 PM
    Some phone company got to create the self charging battery, where you don't need to charge phones anymore, and the solar energy or something just charges them up. These battery life always suck when you run too many programs and such.
    07-15-10 02:55 PM
    solar charging isnt very realistic. It takes direct sunlight, generally and takes way too long and costs more. Panel size matters a lot too and there's nowhere to put them on a phone

That and they already have solar chargers anyways.
    Last edited by papped; 07-15-10 at 02:58 PM.
    07-15-10 02:56 PM
    Some phone company got to create the self charging battery, where you don't need to charge phones anymore, and the solar energy or something just charges them up.
    07-15-10 05:28 PM
    I see you have had a HTC Touch Pro 2, which I'm currently using.
    Would you say a Bold 9650 is a good improvement?

I never had a Blackberry before so I wouldn't really know how to compare both of them. All I know is that my Touch Pro 2 lags from time to time, and my 3G connection is always bad until I reboot my phone.

The reason I got a touch pro 2 was the keyboard, which is excellent. This is the only part of switching to BB I'm worried about. I think (but hope not) that the Touch Pro 2 keyboard is easier to use.
    07-16-10 01:51 AM
    I find horizontal keyboards harder to use tbh. They have keys that are too large and you have to travel too far to get to different keys. If you get used to it, you'll type much faster on a portrait keyboard

07-16-10 02:36 AM
    I find horizontal keyboards harder to use tbh. They have keys that are too large and you have to travel too far to get to different keys. If you get used to it, you'll type much faster on a portrait keyboard

Thats a good point. Though the Touch pro 2 is lined up just as a normal keyboard while the BB keys are lines directly underneath eachother.

Like:
    A-A-A-A-A-A
    -A-A-A-A-A-A

whilte BB has:
    A-A-A-A-A
    A-A-A-A-A

Probally not big difference and more a factor of getting used to.
    Last edited by Stiff; 07-16-10 at 03:56 AM.
    07-16-10 03:53 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD