This may be a stupid question but I haven't been able to find the answer searching the forums.

Does anyone know what OS currently comes on a VZW 9550 when bought new? I am due to upgrade soon and am leaning heavily to the Storm2 from my 8330. Will I have to install a new OS to have the most current or does VZW ship them with the newest OS (.607)?
    07-14-10 04:25 PM
    this may be a stupid question but i haven't been able to find the answer searching the forums.

Does anyone know what os currently comes on a vzw 9550 when bought new? I am due to upgrade soon and am leaning heavily to the storm2 from my 8330. Will i have to install a new os to have the most current or does vzw ship them with the newest os?
    os 5.0.0.713
    07-14-10 04:26 PM
    Yes, it's 5.0.713 (on VZW, that is, other carriers may be lower or higher). I would point out that, that you might consider holding out a bit longer. While there is nothing definitive, it's likely that the Storm 3 will be out at the end of this year (November seems to be the safe bet) or early next year. Nothing worse than buying a new phone only to find out there's a newer model just around the corner! The rumored specs (emphasis on "rumor") show some pretty decent improvements. Also, the Slider, which at the moment, has more substantiation (there have been devices spotted in the wild) will have OS 6.0, both a touch screen and a physical keyboard (not for me, but some may want it) and other advanced features.

This may be a stupid question but I haven't been able to find the answer searching the forums.

Does anyone know what OS currently comes on a VZW 9550 when bought new? I am due to upgrade soon and am leaning heavily to the Storm2 from my 8330. Will I have to install a new OS to have the most current or does VZW ship them with the newest OS (.607)?
    07-14-10 04:31 PM
    Just got one on Monday, and it came with .607
    07-14-10 06:33 PM
    Really?!?!?! I just got mine yesterday and it came with .713. Sorry man...
    07-15-10 07:39 AM
    Wow...you must have gotten one that was at the bottom of the stock inventory. .713 has been out for over a month now. Not that this is such a BAD thing, I've been tempted to return to .607, but I'm holding off.

07-15-10 02:22 PM
    mine came with .517
    07-15-10 02:29 PM
    I thought the Slider was going to ATT as GSM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-10 03:30 PM
    just got a replacement last week ( i assume it was refurbished) but it is a sweet phone and it came with 607
    07-15-10 05:50 PM
    Yes, it's 5.0.713 (on VZW, that is, other carriers may be lower or higher). I would point out that, that you might consider holding out a bit longer. While there is nothing definitive, it's likely that the Storm 3 will be out at the end of this year (November seems to be the safe bet) or early next year. Nothing worse than buying a new phone only to find out there's a newer model just around the corner! The rumored specs (emphasis on "rumor") show some pretty decent improvements. Also, the Slider, which at the moment, has more substantiation (there have been devices spotted in the wild) will have OS 6.0, both a touch screen and a physical keyboard (not for me, but some may want it) and other advanced features.
    I am a Verizon customer so I won't be able to get the slider much to my chagrin. I would love to have a 9800 but I get my BB from work and we are a Verizon customer for which I am glad actually for service reasons.

I also don't like being a first adopter. I would rather get a device after any major bugs have been worked out. I am the same way with cars. I don't like buying the first year of a new model. Plus, based upon RIM's recent track record I am not that confident the Storm3 will 1) be released anytime soon or 2) be without major glitches since it is rumored to have its own brand new OS.

The Storm2 will be new for me so I am looking forward to owning it after using a friend's some and checking it out at a Verizon store last year.

Thanks for everyone's info on the OS the 9550 ships with currently.
    07-16-10 02:58 PM
    My bad on the Slider reference. I had not paid much attention to all the details on it as I had zero interest in a physical keyboard. I only mentioned it here to inform the OP of possible alternatives on the horizon. I'd had to buy a new phone and, in three months, see the next gen be released! If the Slider is going to AT&T, God help anyone who buys it, LOL!
    07-16-10 03:51 PM
    I just upgraded to the Storm 2 on this past Saturday, July 17. My phone had .360 on it (or is it .306? I forget..) so the first thing I did was upgrade to .713. I bought mine in the Verizon store so it had probably been sitting on the shelf since 2009.
    07-19-10 08:28 AM
    Really?!?!?! I just got mine yesterday and it came with .713. Sorry man...
    Wow...you must have gotten one that was at the bottom of the stock inventory. .713 has been out for over a month now. Not that this is such a BAD thing, I've been tempted to return to .607, but I'm holding off.
    I don't see a problem with it coming with 607. Phone has been working perfectly for me since I got it. Much better than my S1.
    07-19-10 09:11 AM
    This is hurting my mind, going back this far, but I think it was .320, no?

Anyway, I find it unconscionable that any store would release a new device to a customer with an OS still on it that is so outdated! Personally, I'd be getting in touch with the store manager to complain about this, their staff obviously needs a lesson or two in customer service. A customer should walk out of the store with everything updated on their new purchase, period!

I just upgraded to the Storm 2 on this past Saturday, July 17. My phone had .360 on it (or is it .306? I forget..) so the first thing I did was upgrade to .713. I bought mine in the Verizon store so it had probably been sitting on the shelf since 2009.
    07-19-10 12:55 PM
    Did they at least dust off the box??? Holy cow. The original S2 OS was 320.
    07-19-10 01:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD