I found it....

Options ----> advanced options -----> gps

Turn Location Data and Location Aiding OFF!

Also I have location set to OFF....

I had location set to off as i only need GPS if im gonna use sprint navigation... which is rarely... so in that case I will turn location, location data and location aiding back on..

Here is the thing folks, the big drain is Location Data and Location Aiding.... If u turn those options off as well as GPS its amazing!!!!

I would unplug my berry and in 15 minutes it would be at 90% battery.... Those options constantly pull data and hog the battery... After i turned Location data and location aiding off as well as gps, My battery is hanging tough!
    07-13-10 02:46 PM
    That sounds kind of abnormal that you lose 10% per 15 minutes...

Most would have both of those options because they are enabled by default, yet I don't think most would be experiencing that significant of battery drain...
    07-13-10 02:51 PM
    That sounds kind of abnormal that you lose 10% per 15 minutes...

Most would have both of those options because they are enabled by default, yet I don't think most would be experiencing that significant of battery drain...
    I was thinking the exact same thing, papped. Do you have any applications that are running in the backround? How is your signal? One thing I noticed when I had my Tour was if I was in an area with bad coverage, my device would constantly 'poll' for a signal and murder my battery. It was the fastest drain I ever experienced on a BlackBerry...
    07-13-10 02:54 PM
    No try this, quit writing me off... It really helps... The signal fluctuates.... most of the time 4-5 bars but can go down to 2 bars.
    07-13-10 02:58 PM
    The location doesn't do anything unless you're using google maps, sprint nav etc...I keep mine on all the time and I don't have any battery issues.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-10 03:00 PM
    I don't turn wifi or GPS off and my discharge rate is 5%/hour
    07-13-10 03:02 PM
    If your phone is constantly polling for gps data without any apps requesting it, then you have some miracle OS problem...

You're not being written off. Odds are you are masking the effects of a different problem by disabling gps.
    07-13-10 03:03 PM
    I keep mine on all the time and I don't have any battery issues.
    Same here. It sounds to me like something is updating in the backround...
    07-13-10 03:06 PM
    Many have reported that Google Maps is the culprit.
    07-13-10 03:25 PM
    I have location data and location aiding enabled and have minimal battery drain. Battery on my Bold really isn't that bad considering that the newness is rubbing off and I'm not constantly working with it and playing with it anymore.
    07-13-10 03:25 PM
    Many have reported that Google Maps is the culprit.
    Could very well be the culprit as it constantly updates. I only turn it on when I need to use it.
    07-13-10 03:26 PM
    I think something else is going on that's causing the drain. I leave wifi and location on all the time and my battery is fine.

07-13-10 03:34 PM
    Could very well be the culprit as it constantly updates. I only turn it on when I need to use it.
    I don't agree with this. When I open google maps...its left off where I was at when I last used it. If its constantly updating, wouldn't it show my location as soon as I open it? The first thing it says when I open mine is...updating location.

07-13-10 03:37 PM
    Just my data - gps on, location aiding on.

Today, battery drain for 7 hours is down to 84% or, according to Meterberry, 2.3% per hour.

Other than Berryweather using the gps (hidden in a office building), the gps is not providing any mapping.
    07-13-10 03:40 PM
    Wait, so is the thread title supposed to be "MY battery problem solved" or are you insisting that all 9650's (or ones with gps) have battery issues b/c of gps??
    07-13-10 03:40 PM
    I don't have this abnormal battery issue you're referring to. I have over 30 apps, with 10 running in the background all day and I only charge once per day. You might need a new battery and/or device.

And this is not a solution. GPS is a key feature of the phone. I can't imagine turning it off unless I was house-bound all day.
    07-13-10 03:41 PM
    I've been up since 7 am and its now 550 pm and my battery is less then 1/4 full.I took it off charger in morning was full. I've used phone maybe 40 min total texting and using viigo and a couple web pages. Wifi was on. Battery drops fast with wifi off or on. This is 3rd 9650 and its been same on all. Signal is usualy good but does still fluctuate. I'm going to try turning gps stuff off and see if it makes a difference.

07-13-10 04:56 PM
    Was wifi on connected to a wifi network, or was wifi on not connected to a network?

Also is viigo running all the time or auto updating? Part of the problem with viigo is that it's so stupidly process intensive doing simple RSS updates it basically bogs down the entire phone for the duration of the update, which is rather slow compared to other RSS apps...
    07-13-10 07:22 PM
    I leave everything on all day. It's on the charger all night in bedside mode. Off the charger at 6:30 every morning, used a lot all day, back on the charger at 10:00 pm. I've never used more than 75% of the battery. It's always at about 25-30% when it goes on the charger. Signal is strong all day everywhere around Houston. I do turn off blue tooth when I'm out of the car. Uses WiFi at home and in the office.
    07-13-10 09:44 PM
    I leave everything on all day. It's on the charger all night in bedside mode. Off the charger at 6:30 every morning, used a lot all day, back on the charger at 10:00 pm. I've never used more than 75% of the battery. It's always at about 25-30% when it goes on the charger. Signal is strong all day everywhere around Houston. I do turn off blue tooth when I'm out of the car. Uses WiFi at home and in the office.
    Yeah, but Houston is so flat that a signal from the Northeast side of town (Kingwood) can probably reach the Southwest side of town (Sugarland). Thus, you should get great signal where every you happen to be.

I'm in the hill country outside of Austin, I don't think a signal travels more than a mile or so if its lucky out here by the lake.

Thus, my battery doesn't give me nearly as good a life as yours does.
    07-13-10 09:56 PM
    I just got my Bold last week and there's definitely a battery issue. I charge it at night so when I get up in the morning at around 7:30am it's fully charged and ready to go.

By the time about 7pm rolls around I'm down to 2 bars or less. 25-35% battery life.

If this was on the weekends when I get more use out of it, that would be acceptable I suppose. But during the week I range anywhere from light to moderate use. I don't have many apps - Facebook, Slacker, Twitter, Yahoo Messenger, App World and Pandora are pretty much it and I haven't even used the obvious battery draining ones like Pandora and Slacker since I've gotten the device.

I barely talk on the phone and do some BBM and Facebook and Emails throughout the work day.

This is the same battery life my Bold 9000 (that I used for over a year) would have at the end of the day. That's definitely a problem and whether or not the GPS settings have anything to do with it, I don't kow.
    07-13-10 10:10 PM
    I too agree there is some issue with battery drain on my 9650. Luckily I have to batteries, but coming from the 9630 I have noticed I have to switch batteries every day now where as before it was once or twice a week. I also agree with the fact that only a few hours into the morning with minor or no use I am usually down to 80%.
    I have also noticed it coming off standby on its own and/or staying on and not dimming out the screen when it's supposed to.

07-13-10 10:29 PM
    I just got my Bold last week and there's definitely a battery issue. I charge it at night so when I get up in the morning at around 7:30am it's fully charged and ready to go.

By the time about 7pm rolls around I'm down to 2 bars or less. 25-35% battery life.

If this was on the weekends when I get more use out of it, that would be acceptable I suppose. But during the week I range anywhere from light to moderate use. I don't have many apps - Facebook, Slacker, Twitter, Yahoo Messenger, App World and Pandora are pretty much it and I haven't even used the obvious battery draining ones like Pandora and Slacker since I've gotten the device.

I barely talk on the phone and do some BBM and Facebook and Emails throughout the work day.

This is the same battery life my Bold 9000 (that I used for over a year) would have at the end of the day. That's definitely a problem and whether or not the GPS settings have anything to do with it, I don't kow.
    Sounds like a location reception issue. You aren't in the same place on the weekend that you are on the weekends (unless you work at home) and you get higher usage for the same battery on the weekends.

07-13-10 11:24 PM
    I too had a high hourly discharge rate, anywhere from 17 to 27 %, the culprit's were a couple of 3rd party app's. a network accelerator, and a locator, no use is now 1% hourly, moderate use 5%, heavy use doesn't reach 10% per hour, I do turn my wi-fi off when I leave the house, google map's do not drain the battery.
    07-13-10 11:52 PM
    I too agree there is some issue with battery drain on my 9650. Luckily I have to batteries, but coming from the 9630 I have noticed I have to switch batteries every day now where as before it was once or twice a week. I also agree with the fact that only a few hours into the morning with minor or no use I am usually down to 80%.
    I have also noticed it coming off standby on its own and/or staying on and not dimming out the screen when it's supposed to.

I'm in the same boat. I have nothing running in the backround,wifi off, and still after my drive into work with minimal bbm chatter I'm below 90% and that's not a long car ride at all.

My screen also comes on randomly as does my buddies bold too. It makes me think I'm getting a call or accidentally call someone because it pulls itself out of lock mode.

07-14-10 12:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD