I'm going to be taking a 21 hour trip and I'm a little concerned seeing how the battery life has been horrible on my Tour thus far. When I'm at home all day I have to constantly keep it on the charger. Any ideas as to what's going on and tips on preserving while away? Of course I'm gonna probably have to give it a charge sometime in the midst of the trip but I won't be able to charge it continually...also before askes, I'm on os .624 which apparently is horrid anyway. and, no, I have no way of changing os before I leave.
    07-13-10 02:35 PM
    Use standby mode or the holster it came with, which will put the device in standby mode as well. Also, any applications you have that update at intervals I would log out of, like weather, news, Twitter applications, etc. Try to have as little running in the backround as possible...
    07-13-10 02:40 PM
    Will this be a car trip or a flight? I would suggest maybe buying a second battery if you are worried about the life of it if you definitely need it.

As SD mentioned above, log out of everything. Turn your connection off if you don't need it, like if you are on the airplane. You could just turn the entire thing off if needed, just pull the battery.
    07-13-10 03:13 PM
    Just keep the usage to texting and don't use data.
    07-13-10 05:43 PM
    If you want to be able to play with it, there are portable extended batteries that can recharge your device via USB cord. I have a portable battery that will recharge my Tour fully at least 2 times. They can be acquired, charged up, and then put away until needed. Mine is made by Black and Decker, and is about the size of an average paperback book. It cost me $13. Almost as cheap as a spare battery.

And you're right, .624 definitely isn't battery friendly.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BergerKing; 07-13-10 at 06:09 PM.
    07-13-10 06:01 PM
    As aforementioned, updates off. Before leaving...leave the bb on charger for at least 2 hours after full charge. Don't know if it just me, but when I do this it lasts longer!

If you're looking to receive phone calls for emergency, try and use the bedside mode as this preserves the battery and you can tailor it so it only allows phone calls in and disables the led..so I suggest you mess with that.

Are you going to be using it? I've gotten away with putting it on silent and disabling the led so I have to have the bb in front of me so I can see a call. Otherwise I leave it on silent in the holster.
    07-13-10 07:02 PM
    Either get a USB chatger or a small inverter to use the wall charger if you're going to be in a vehicle with 12v, or maybe just shut it down if you're in a plane or some other conveyance where you really can't use it much anyway.

Extended battery is an option, also, as is an extra battery...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-10 11:15 PM
    - Turn down the backlight
    - Switch GPS to E911 only
    - Set "Network Technology" to 1XEV
    07-13-10 11:21 PM
    Charge off your computer. It takes longer but more electrons can fit in your battery. I like to think of batteries like cups. If you fill up a cup of water under the faucet under full blast it will get mostly full but drain faster due to not having as much water. If you do it slow, it will get absolutely brim full but take longer. If you do what wall chargers do, fill it fast then slow down, it gets mostly full. I find you can squeeze maybe 2% more battery life out of it but it's a small trick if you're desperate.
    07-14-10 12:39 PM
    1) Turn off bluetooth
    2) Turn off GPS
    3) Update PRL
    4) Switch from Global to 1XEV
    5) Use autostandby or similar app
    6) Shut off data intensive apps (streaming etc) immediately after use, or use them when charging.
    7) Consider rolling back to OS 5.0.0.484
    8) https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=DBIIYiCm and a spare battery - have both around
    07-14-10 03:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD