Article on Yahoo "10 Brands That May Disappear in 2011"

T-Mobile, the U.S. wireless provider, is owned by telecom giant Deutsche Telekom (DTEGY.PK - News). It is the No.4 cellular company in an American market that only supports two really successful firms -- AT&T Wireless and Verizon Wireless. Even the third-largest company in the market -- Sprint-Nextel (NYSE: S - News) -- has 50 million customers. T-Mobile had 34 million customers at the end of last year. T-Mobile only had a profit of $306 million in 2009. That was down from $483 million in 2008. T-Mobile not only faces three larger competitors, it also has to begin to offer 4G service to compete with Sprint's new WiMax service and LTE-based products from AT&T (NYSE: T - News) and Verizon (NYSE: VZ - News). T-Mobile may seek a partner to offer a 4G network, but there are no super-fast broadband networks likely to be finished before its three rivals offer the service. As it now stands, T-Mobile has no future in the U.S. A merger with Sprint-Nextel has been mentioned several times. The combined company would have a customer base about the same size as AT&T or Verizon. And the transaction would probably make Deutsche Telekom a large owner of the combined operation. Another alternative would be a merger with Virgin Mobile. Maybe Deutsche Telekom will just change the firm's name.
    07-10-10 11:03 AM
    I wouldnt be surprised if T-Mobile merged to create their LTE network. But then again i read somewhere that t-mobile upgraded their 3g i forget the name of the tech. HS** something like that but will have 20 mb dl speeds..
    07-10-10 11:06 AM
    It's HSPA+ and according to this article on Androidcentral, they may have a phone on the way, speculation of course.

http://www.androidcentral.com/t-mobi...-it-htc-vision
    07-10-10 11:48 AM
    It's HSPA+ and according to this article on Androidcentral, they may have a phone on the way, speculation of course.

http://www.androidcentral.com/t-mobi...-it-htc-vision
    thanks for the source im still sleeping here at work...

speculation with a phone in hand but just because the phone supports doesnt mean the carrier does ha..
    this comment holds some truth which i can agree too..

Forget 4G. T-MO is doing it the right way with faster 3G speeds. There isn't much need for 4G unless your using your phone rather then a typical ISP. GO T-MO.
    Last edited by Jo_795; 07-10-10 at 12:02 PM.
    07-10-10 11:58 AM
    adding 50 to 34 seems to be the only rationale in the argument.

merging sprint with tmo is an ***** move.... i simply do not see any economies of scale here... there are no overlapping technologies, no overlapping networks and so zero economic benefits..

of course.... i said the same about sprint and nextel...lol, but at least there is now a plan to ditch iDen
    07-10-10 12:04 PM
    Will never happen. T-Mobile GSM, Sprint CDMA. Merging two weak companies with different technologies leaves you with one weak company with two different technologies. If Sprint keeps leaking customers, it is more likely Verizon will buy Sprint. For the last two years both Sprint and T-Mobile have finished the year with fewer customers than they started with. If someone dose not do something soon, the only two companies left will be Verizon and AT&T.
    07-10-10 12:51 PM
    Will never happen. T-Mobile GSM, Sprint CDMA. Merging two weak companies with different technologies leaves you with one weak company with two different technologies. If Sprint keeps leaking customers, it is more likely Verizon will buy Sprint. For the last two years both Sprint and T-Mobile have finished the year with fewer customers than they started with. If someone dose not do something soon, the only two companies left will be Verizon and AT&T.
    possibly the most trollish post i ever seen in my life.
    07-10-10 01:10 PM
    07-10-10 01:57 PM
    I concur, and two weak companies merging has done a lot for companies in the past. As for that article, the feel it gave me was that an amateur wrote it even if its not the case.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-10 02:07 PM
    well Sprint isn't weak. T-Mobile is due to the fact of coverage and power..
    07-10-10 02:15 PM
    How many times does this deceptive article need to be posted? T-Mobile is making the right moves with their pricing and with their progress of HSPA to HSPA+. Time after time T-Mobile has proved in independent test that can be confirmed by a Google search that HSPA+ is faster and more reliable than WiMax/4G.

T-Mobile has and is continuing to make structural changes. These changes are both reactive and proactive. Merging a hemorrhaging ship like Sprint with a company that is staying afloat like T-Mobile is a bad move.
    07-10-10 02:45 PM
    I honestly don't think any of them are going anywhere anytime soon. T-Mobile is backed by Deutsche Telekom (which if you've ever been to Germany, you know is an absolutely huge company that's going nowhere), and Sprint... Well, I've been a Sprint customer for the better part of 20 years. I've seen them weather worse than they're in currently.

07-11-10 12:06 AM
    There's no way Verizon is buying Sprint. Sprint, like Verizon, isn't just a cell carrier; they're also a major Internet backbone and landline provider too.
    07-11-10 02:17 AM
    There's no way Verizon is buying Sprint. Sprint, like Verizon, isn't just a cell carrier; they're also a major Internet backbone and landline provider too.
    When I said earlier in this thread that two weak companies merging together works I wasn't saying Sprint should merge as they aren't going anywhere due to the reasons flyawaymike posted.

07-11-10 04:13 AM
    Sprint is not going anywhere people, things are starting to turn around for them. sales of the Bold and EVO 4g are good. We got some impressive phones coming in the line up like the Epic 4G and a few others. hopefully they have and will add a bunch of new customers because of it. Plus Sprint is sitting on a few billion dollars in cash. CS has improved and all they need now is some time where there product recognition will improve.
    07-11-10 12:27 PM
    I don't want T-Mobile and Sprint to merge... At least not until the U.S. plan pricing reaches what the U.K. has. Luckily for me, I don't see them merging anytime in the near future.

As far as Verizon goes, I'm doubtful that if the FCC allowed Verizon to buyout Alltel only if they agreed to immediately sell off certain markets to another carrier (AT&T) to prevent a monopoly in certain markets, that a Verizon/Sprint merger would never be allowed.
    07-11-10 01:12 PM
    [QUOTE=yoga.flame;5335706As far as Verizon goes, I'm doubtful that if the FCC allowed Verizon to buyout Alltel only if they agreed to immediately sell off certain markets to another carrier (AT&T) to prevent a monopoly in certain markets, that a Verizon/Sprint merger would never be allowed.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on this. Verizon would have to divest too many areas (both VZW and Sprint) if the FCC even allowed that merger, making it hardly worth the effort.
    07-11-10 02:05 PM
    Tmobile is already going a completely different direction. So even if people wanted it to happen I see no reason why it would

07-11-10 07:11 PM
    People are starting to see that Sprint has the best pricing no matter how you look at it!! I tried to go to another carrier and Sprint cant be beat!! As long as they keep on bringing the heat with the Android phones they will be ok, they cant depend on Blackberry at all at this point I have realized there's no love there but as long as there is Android they can keep up with the Iphone (AT&T) and Droid (copy cat Verizon every time Sprint does something they are always copying) T-mobile has the best phone but the service sucks. Could a merge make Sprint a world company?
    07-12-10 05:17 AM
    Could a merge make Sprint a world company?
    My guess is no. If T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom) merged with Sprint it would only make sense for them to merge T-Mobile USA with Sprint because, aside from international roaming agreements, Sprint has nothing to contribute to their market share outside of the U.S.

Although I think a merger is unlikely, DT has recently expressed disappointment with the performance of T-Mobile in the United States, so maybe I'm off in my reasoning. Better phone selection would be nice.
    07-12-10 02:01 PM
    My guess is no. If T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom) merged with Sprint it would only make sense for them to merge T-Mobile USA with Sprint because, aside from international roaming agreements, Sprint has nothing to contribute to their market share outside of the U.S.

Although I think a merger is unlikely, DT has recently expressed disappointment with the performance of T-Mobile in the United States, so maybe I'm off in my reasoning. Better phone selection would be nice.
    DT is making huge structural changes that will help T-Mobile USA out. The are also working on bringing better service with HSPA+ and better lines of phones.
    07-12-10 06:41 PM
    Those of us w/Sprint better hope they don't merge, T-Mobile has a coverage map that look's like it was dropped off an airplane, terrible. This came up a year ago & I laughed then, I have a buddy on T-Mo, & every time we go somewhere, he has to use my phone. Less bar's in less place's, LOL.
    07-12-10 08:37 PM
    less bar's in less place's, lol.
    lmao!!!!!!!!
    07-12-10 09:01 PM
    I don't think it would work very well. Since 4g isn't going to be everywhere for a very long time, I don't see how cdma and gsm could mix well. The only phones that would work well are sprint world phones, because they could use both networks (but no tmobile 3g). There are too many technical difficulties with the current networks I don't think its going to work.

07-13-10 12:03 AM
    Although I agree, there are some points of truth.
    Cingular and ATT fused and they were both GSM. So Cingular phones worked on ATT Towers but T-Mo will have to somehow change all their phones to CDMA or the other way.
    I just don't see this happening in any logical way.

07-13-10 07:43 AM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD