Is there indication how serious Sprint is in upgrading areas to 4G? More a question for those inside Sprint I guess as while you can look at their coverage maps, there is relativly very few 4G coverage areas.

How many 4G devices does Sprint have on the market? I know of course about the EVO but are there other devices too or is the EVO the only one right now?
    07-08-10 11:04 AM
    Evo is the only one right now. Epic 4G will be the second one I don't know anymore after that my guess is at least 4 4G phones this year
    07-08-10 11:48 AM
    Rumor has it (we all know how rumors go) There will be a 4G "Wimax" tower on every wal*mart in the continental United States. Needless to say I vomited up my lunch....sigh!
    07-08-10 11:55 AM
    Rumor has it (we all know how rumors go) There will be a 4G "Wimax" tower on every wal*mart in the continental United States. Needless to say I vomited up my lunch....sigh!
    I would be glad to have a wimax tower on walmart's. It actually would mean my area would get 4g. We hardly have 3g though so I won't hold my breath.
    07-08-10 12:10 PM
    I would be glad to have a wimax tower on walmart's. It actually would mean my area would get 4g. We hardly have 3g though so I won't hold my breath.
    They answer is majority of Americans lives within a 30 mile radius of a Walmart so this why they want towers on Walmart.
    07-08-10 12:36 PM
    I hope they implement it soon everywhere, I live in Kansas City area, also have the new EVO4, coverage is superb.
    07-08-10 12:52 PM
    The "new" tech discussions about Sprint's Wimax is that the signal does not penetrate buildings. There are numerous forums where people discuss not being able to use their 4gG phones/devices indoors. AT$T and Verizon are going to the LTE 4G technology.

Some say Wimax will be the death of sprint.. And that LTE is the technology to use. I guess we shall see.
    Last edited by convex20899; 07-08-10 at 02:09 PM.
    07-08-10 01:35 PM
    The "new" tech discussions about Sprint's Wimax is that the signal does not penetrate buildings. There are numerous forums where people discuss not being able to use their 4G phones/devices indoors. AT$T and Verizon are going to the LTE 4G technology.

Some say Wimax will be the death of spring.. And that LTE is the technology to use. I guess we shall see.
    That could be like a gms vs cdma debate....
    07-08-10 02:06 PM
    How many 4G devices does Sprint have on the market? I know of course about the EVO but are there other devices too or is the EVO the only one right now?
    Evo is the only one right now. Epic 4G will be the second one I don't know anymore after that my guess is at least 4 4G phones this year
    There's mobile hotspot devices too; the Overdrive and the USB dongles.
    07-08-10 02:20 PM
    With the WiMAX and the IEEE 802.16 Standard it actually improved indoor penetration the main reason people will lose reception enough to not be able to use WiMax is due to lack of existing towers. The same goes for 3G also though, the further you are from towers the more noticeable the drop when you enter a building. Sprint seems to be hard at work and obviously will hit the major cities first and then move onto the smaller. I live in L.A. County and they are popping up everywhere. But to be able to saturate the whole country with WiMax will be a long while.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-10 02:26 PM
    also to note, the EVO isn't actually a "4G phone", it's only WiMAX (4G) for data services, when available.

It's using the existing CDMA network for phone calls (which is why you can make a phone call and use the Internet at the same time, under the 4G network).
    07-08-10 02:54 PM
    Pardon my ignorance but most phones aren't going to get the 4G service unless they're specifically made for 4G like the EVO right? Like my new bold 9650 I was told won't ever get it? I was told that by the end of Summer, there are going to be a lot more places like Orlando that have 4G availabilty. Currently Miami has it but we do not.
    07-08-10 02:57 PM
    I work at wal-mart and heard no such thing. And to top that, we don't sell sprint in any wal-mart. I live in florida I'm not sure about any other state, I will google to learn more. But as of right now to me, its just a rumor lol

07-08-10 03:18 PM
    I work at wal-mart and heard no such thing. And to top that, we don't sell sprint in any wal-mart. I live in florida I'm not sure about any other state, I will google to learn more. But as of right now to me, its just a rumor lol

I wouldn't go around saying that sprint is not sold at any walmart because they actually are. Every walmart near me and that I have been to has sold sprint phones and services. So I think you are misinformed.
    07-08-10 03:48 PM
    Sprint's wimax doesn't penetrate buildings because it operates at 2.5ghz frequency. Nothing you can do about that really... Basically it will require more towers to have coverage vs lower frequency networks.

Powered by Google Docs

Here's the general point:

Using the above dependence, comparing traditional
    cellular deployments in the 850 MHz frequency
    bands, deployments around 2,500 MHz are subject to
    a propagation penalty of nearly 15 fold (about 12 dB
    when expressed as a loss in dB),
    07-08-10 03:58 PM
    I heard the a similer thing about Radio Shack similer to the Walmart thing but I think at least Radio Shack was installing WiMax repeaters in their stores that were 4G areas.

Perhaps there's some truth to the building blocking wimax signals as it seems odd that Radio Shack's are rolling out repeaters before they really selling too many 4G devices.
    07-08-10 03:59 PM
    I wouldn't go around saying that sprint is not sold at any walmart because they actually are. Every walmart near me and that I have been to has sold sprint phones and services. So I think you are misinformed.
    Well I did say in florida, like clearwater, st pete, newport richey, oldsmar, and tampa. So to say I'm misinformed when I work with them is a no go, I'm there almost all the time and in different stores in the district. And to quote myself again I did say I wasn't sure about out of florida. Plus, if we did, I'd get a discount for working at wal-mart if we did carry it. Vzw 10 percent, t-moble 15 percent, att 10 percent and so on and so on. I went with sprint for coverage lol

07-08-10 05:32 PM

Some say Wimax will be the death of sprint.. And that LTE is the technology to use. I guess we shall see.
    Wimax is based off 4g, LTE is based off Wimax funny but i dont seeing the death of it. and its already been stated that Sprint can easily change its Wimax to LTE if ever needed. which i doubt it but who knows.. Sprint isnt dumb they thought of this all ahead. they were the first to bring 3g and now there the first to bring 4g..
    07-08-10 06:06 PM
    07-08-10 06:35 PM
    Yea, I saw that on google too, I have two blackberrys and comps. And in one of the articles it said RUMOR!!!! Plus I wasn't arguing about the towers, I wouldn't put it past walmart cuz you get paid for having them lol, I was just talking about sprint and walmart, if they do carry sprint phones and plans, its not in my district. I'd be getting back pay on the discounts I've should have gotten to begin with lol.

With that said, I HOPE we get sprint in my stores with this. I'd love the discount lol

07-08-10 07:45 PM
    I work at wal-mart and heard no such thing. And to top that, we don't sell sprint in any wal-mart.
    Well I did say in florida, like clearwater, st pete, newport richey, oldsmar, and tampa. So to say I'm misinformed when I work with them is a no go, I'm there almost all the time and in different stores in the district. And to quote myself again I did say I wasn't sure about out of florida. Plus, if we did, I'd get a discount for working at wal-mart if we did carry it. Vzw 10 percent, t-moble 15 percent, att 10 percent and so on and so on. I went with sprint for coverage lol

That line right there is what I was refering to. Maybe if you reword it then it would be better.
    07-08-10 07:46 PM
    My bad then, I'd reword it but its already posted and to lazy to edit it. But I later said my district at least. But I still have heard no word on it, and if I did, I'd be misinformed lol.

Oh yea, sarcasm and reading posts like you hold it to heart is...nevermind lol. Us as blackberry users are on crack like apple fanboys...one in the same if you think about it.

07-08-10 08:26 PM
    @ Global CDMA Forum: Sprint Nextel exec dishes on smart phones, LTE plans, traffic and the cloud - RCR Wireless News

Sprint Nextel only opened this dual path along WiMAX and LTE recently. The carrier has been a devout WiMAX follower for many years, but is now opening up to the possibility of LTE. When Packingham was asked to explain the carrier's evolving strategy with the two technologies, he highlighted the early-to-market advantage WiMAX presented. Moreover, WiMAX was best suited for the 2.5 GHz spectrum available to Sprint Nextel for a next-generation network a couple years ago. That spectrum was configured to work with TDD-based mobile broadband technologies like WiMAX that were different from the FDD-based cellular technologies.

But now that LTE technology trials are underway and commercial launches are expected by the end of the year, Sprint Nextel wants to leverage both technologies “because we have several different spectrum bands that we operate on,” he said. “We do see them as complimentary.”

Sprint Nextel could move quickly to deploy LTE using its traditional 800 MHz and 1.9 GHz spectrum holdings that currently are used for its CDMA and iDEN networks. LTE backers are also working on developing a TDD version of LTE that would allow Sprint Nextel and its WiMAX network partner Clearwire Corp. to deploy LTE technology on its 2.5 GHz spectrum.

Packingham added that Sprint Nextel is looking to partner for international LTE coverage and the technology will certainly be a part of its roadmap as follows the evolution path on CDMA.

Most importantly, he said Sprint Nextel needs network technologies that are extremely efficient and it believes WiMAX and LTE deliver in that arena.
    Looks like the best of both worlds.
    07-09-10 12:45 AM
    Again he asks..what is a fan-boy?

Is a fan-boy someone that can’t prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us?
    07-09-10 06:56 AM
    With the WiMAX and the IEEE 802.16 Standard it actually improved indoor penetration the main reason people will lose reception enough to not be able to use WiMax is due to lack of existing towers. The same goes for 3G also though, the further you are from towers the more noticeable the drop when you enter a building. Sprint seems to be hard at work and obviously will hit the major cities first and then move onto the smaller. I live in L.A. County and they are popping up everywhere. But to be able to saturate the whole country with WiMax will be a long while.

Not true. WiMAX isn't the problem. The problem is Sprint's 4G spectrum (frequency) is 2.5 GHZ, which doesn't travel as far and has problems penetrating buildings compared to lower frequency. So, for good WiMAX coverage, Sprint needs significantly more towers at 2.5 GHZ than Verizon or AT&T will at 700 MHZ.
    07-09-10 08:21 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD