Has any one been able to figure out where to enter the Blackberry generated PIN in to the Linksys wireless router web based settings? Neither Blackberry or Linksys has been helpful. I have the WRT160N Linksys router.

Thanks in advance.
    07-06-10 10:51 PM
    why would you want or need the pin in the router configuration?
    07-06-10 10:56 PM
    Does your router have a button to push? I was never able to enter the pin. It was never accepted. I used the 3rd option and was told to push the button on the router and everything worked fine.

* PS *This pin is not our BB pin, but one generated through wifi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-10 11:09 PM
    Has any one been able to figure out where to enter the Blackberry generated PIN in to the Linksys wireless router web based settings? Neither Blackberry or Linksys has been helpful. I have the WRT160N Linksys router.

Thanks in advance.
    I could be wrong, but something tell's me you're trying to connect to your neighbor's wi-fi.........thou shalt not covet.
    07-06-10 11:19 PM
    I could be wrong, but something tell's me you're trying to connect to your neighbor's wi-fi.........thou shalt not covet.
    You are wrong. I had the same problem.

07-06-10 11:37 PM
    You are wrong. I had the same problem.

It's on the bottom of your router, in (parenthesis), after his neighbor goes to sleep, break in, with a flashlight, check out the bottom of his router...or if ya think like me , his wife's bottom!!
    Last edited by Jayhawk-X; 07-07-10 at 12:09 AM.
    07-06-10 11:43 PM
    No, it is not the on the router. It is not the WEP key. The device trying to connect with router comes up with a unique pin. You are suppose to put the pin in the routers settings. The problem is, for some reason it won't store the BB's pin.

I don't have neighbors close enough to steal their signal. Quit making this into a joke. This is on new routers - or fairly new. Not many threads out that can help. Those that are out have some j-e-r-k like you making it a joke because you have not had that problem, so it must not be real.

07-07-10 07:48 AM
    Not sure I can help you, but I use MAC address filtering and for me to set things up I just had to go into my router and add the MAC address from the BB. I already had known my WEP key so that was easy enough to do also.

If you want, you can always send me a PM too. Again, may not be able to help but I am willing to try.
    07-07-10 08:00 AM
    My Linsys wireless router at work asked for it as well. I cancelled out of it, and it connected up. I know I am using my signal because I had to put in my security code for connection.

It only did this to me on the new Linksys, not on the D-Link at home.
    07-07-10 08:22 AM
    I've seen this on a couple of public wifi hotspots I've tried to use and couldn't figure it out either.
    07-07-10 08:35 AM
    No, it is not the on the router. It is not the WEP key. The device trying to connect with router comes up with a unique pin. You are suppose to put the pin in the routers settings. The problem is, for some reason it won't store the BB's pin.

I don't have neighbors close enough to steal their signal. Quit making this into a joke. This is on new routers - or fairly new. Not many threads out that can help. Those that are out have some j-e-r-k like you making it a joke because you have not had that problem, so it must not be real.

Interesting, I have a 2yr old Linksys and what I believe to be a fairly new Netgear provided by my cable company. I am currently using the Netgear one and it didn't ask for a pin. Once I entered the WEP passcode everything was peachie. I've had no hicups at all.

Doesn't make sense to me why the router would need a BB generated pin, however, I could see having to put the MAC address in if you are restricting access to your net by only allowing devices whose MAC address you have entered.

I would expect that there is a way to disable the requirement for the PIN number if one were to search through the router's setup wizard.

Good Luck!
    07-07-10 08:41 AM
    There was a thread about this the other day. I think some folks suggested what someone mentioned above - just back of of that prompt and it connected. Unfortunately the term "pin" is going to find tons of threads since the BB has its own pin number. I think there was even a link or two to definitions or explanations of the router-pin issue.

Edited to add: (just cleaning up browser tabs (too many) and found this link:

Connect to a Wi-Fi network using the PIN method - User Guide - BlackBerry Storm2 Series - BlackBerry Storm2 9520/9550 Smartphones - 5.0
    Last edited by F2; 07-07-10 at 09:36 AM.
    07-07-10 09:26 AM
    I ended up using the "push button set-up" and it worked fine. This only happens if you scan for network. From what I have read, it is similar to MAC address. For some reason it would accept the pin but not save it and I could never get connected. Once I did the "push button set up" it was fine. From what I have read, netgear doesn't do this, only linkys. I have only had this router for 3 weeks as my netgear quit. I never replaced it because my laptop gave out. That is what you get for paying $200 for a laptop. From my experience, I will never purchase another netgear.

07-07-10 09:37 AM
    Backing out for me did not work.

07-07-10 09:40 AM
    I am surprised by the number of people who still use wep. Just an observation but as a FYI wep is not very secure......
    07-07-10 03:00 PM
    if ur using wpa/wpa2 use the pre shared key, enter the network manually, dont use the scan feature. and make sure to get the spelling/caps right when entering the network id.
    07-07-10 11:39 PM
    ya, there should be a serial number/security code at the bottom of the router or in the instructions. look at those, plug in the code. off we go.
    07-08-10 08:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD