So I went to Tmobile to go and buy a 9700 and the guy basically told me it's not worth it...what I really "needed" was the Touch Slide....he's like it's an "android" you can't beat it...BB is nothing compared to it...I've never had a touch screen...he said he hated it at first but after messing with it he loves it...more "apps" (I don't use extra apps but wanted to start for BB)...I use BBM with some friends...I TXT like a crazy person and LOVE the BB for that...I use it for FB TXT CALLS WEB and I do get emails on it....not corporate...I wanted to get the 9700 because everyone said it was good faster has the camera with the flash and is classier...but everyone I talked to told me it's outdated...when I said I heard it was the best BERRY to date he was totally unimpressed. I like the sturdiness of my BB...The touch was NICE but I drop my phone alot..and have a toddler...I did like the Touch because at home I read it has that feature that it reads txts when your driving and that you can dictate txts...I also read that 9700 doesn't support myfaves which I only have as an icon now anyway on my 8520...so is it dumb if I'm paying for a phone to get the BB? He acted as if I was stupid...but I wasn't sure if he was just pressed to sell that phone...also Touch doesn't have WIFI...I'm annoying but I want to get one TODAY....
    07-06-10 08:47 AM
    Wait for the Samsung Vibrant...
    The New Samsung Vibrant Galaxy S Series Android Smartphone
    If you're into apps, surfing the nets, and etc. the 9700 *is* underwhelming.
    07-06-10 09:18 AM
    If messaging is your big thing, then I would stick with BB. No one does messaging like BB. If you do only use Gmail then Android may not be a bad choice but it doesn't handle other email services all that well.
    07-06-10 11:38 AM
    If you're happy with blackberry, go with the 9700. BB is probably the best at messaging. I love my 9700. The sales rep probably preferred the android software because he doesn't understand blackberry's as well and is unwilling to learn any more about them.
    07-06-10 01:08 PM
    So I went to Tmobile to go and buy a 9700 and the guy basically told me it's not worth it...what I really "needed" was the Touch Slide....he's like it's an "android" you can't beat it...BB is nothing compared to it...I've never had a touch screen...he said he hated it at first but after messing with it he loves it...more "apps" (I don't use extra apps but wanted to start for BB)...I use BBM with some friends...I TXT like a crazy person and LOVE the BB for that...I use it for FB TXT CALLS WEB and I do get emails on it....not corporate...I wanted to get the 9700 because everyone said it was good faster has the camera with the flash and is classier...but everyone I talked to told me it's outdated...when I said I heard it was the best BERRY to date he was totally unimpressed. I like the sturdiness of my BB...The touch was NICE but I drop my phone alot..and have a toddler...I did like the Touch because at home I read it has that feature that it reads txts when your driving and that you can dictate txts...I also read that 9700 doesn't support myfaves which I only have as an icon now anyway on my 8520...so is it dumb if I'm paying for a phone to get the BB? He acted as if I was stupid...but I wasn't sure if he was just pressed to sell that phone...also Touch doesn't have WIFI...I'm annoying but I want to get one TODAY....
    Don't let the rep dude pressure you into getting something that you have doubts about. If you enjoy using BB's for email, bbm, sms etc. then that's the phone for you. BB has an app that can dictate your sms, emails etc. while you drive. Check this out: BlackBerry App World - Voice Dictation
    Hope this helps in your decision.
    07-06-10 05:52 PM
    The MyTouch Slide does have WiFi, it just doesn't have UMA, yet.
    07-06-10 05:54 PM
    And why is the 8320 even in this discussion?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-10 07:39 PM
    To the OP,

If you have a toddler, it's time to start keeping the phone (no matter which one you own), out of toddler reach. Everyone I know with kids has had to replace several phones due to drowning in drool or the toilet/bath tub, thrown out of car and 4+ story windows. This is great advice if you do not have or plan to get rid of any landlines you have.

Buddy of mine just replaced his 3rd MTS and his new netbook... The dreaded leaky juice cup, strikes again!

Just a thought.

07-06-10 08:02 PM
    If messaging is your big thing, then I would stick with BB. No one does messaging like BB.
    I couldn't have said it better myself. I love my 9700! When it comes to messaging, BB is king. I tried writing a message as fast as I could using a DROID with minimal mistakes and it wasn't happening. LOL IMO, a physical keyboard is best for messaging. I seldom make mistakes when messaging on my 9700.
    07-06-10 09:37 PM
    remember he works on commision not on helping you make decisions the more money you spend the more he makes...dont ever listen to a store rep...well maby not ever i know a few good ones but i work in tech support taking tmobile calls all day and if i had a nickle for evry time a store rep lied to a Customer or gave them just bougus wrong info i could re ire...for example last week a store rep told some guy he could install microsoft office from his HD2 onto his copmuter so he woudlnt have to pay for office...and he blamed me because he could its great how that works...i love my BB ive had many diferent ones and the 9700 is great...but do what you think is best because when it comes down to it your stuck with it for 2 years so you better love it
    07-06-10 10:39 PM
    Its your money, so buy the phone you want.
    07-06-10 11:24 PM
    Lol I bought the slide b/c everyone got me all excited about android! I got it via ups. I played with it- it pissed me off! Lol the phone is pretty and everyone says so- at least every tmo person I've talked to thus far. It really depends on what you need from the phone. So I returned it and ordered a 9700.

The things I need to get out of my phone use are:
    1. The speakerphone; the android's speaker is on the back- it's soft I can't really hear when I need to put it down and do things. My bb is loud.
    2.The call waiting beep will not work on speaker- it goes back to the handset when an incoming call is waiting. After a os update my bb will beep.
    3. The lowest in call volume setting is wayyy too loud when on the wired headset-idk if someone found a fix but the tmo tech told me to just use a btooth one lol, why can't I just use the one that it came with or any other wired one? It's like the other person is screaming in my ear- I don't want to go deaf!
    4.I have 10 emails- I want them all pushed. I'm not a bus person, I use yahoo, gmail, and hotmail. You can't have hotmail pushed unless its a paid acct. People think I'm crazy just for having 10 emails and keeping a bb just for that lol.
    5.I need to tether and I don't want to root or pay $30 so I can without rooting. So bb is a prefered choice for me!
    6. Alarm clock doesn't work if you turned off the phone- bb will and any dumb phone I've owned for that manner!
    7.Android doesn't have "fit to screen" for pictures to be your wallpaper- this is very annoying for me since I like to put my family on but I'm not gonna go on the comp to resize or dl a paid app to do it- should've already been on there!
    8.More I can't remember at the moment...

Now, that doesn't mean that I hate android. I just wish they would have the features I take for granted on other phones be standard. I don't want to pay that much for a phone and have to compansate for its lacking feats by buying even more stuff like a bluetooth headset or speakerphone for the car.
    I love the way they look and its os.

Everyone led me to believe that I would be happy,satisfied with the silde- tmo kept saying so from cus care to tech support. But after getting it, finding out it didn't have what I needed, paying to ship it back via ups (shouldve usps priority it-cheaper and faster), and having to order a new phone only through cus care was just painful.

People get you hyped up and tell you that bb is outdated and android is the future. Who cares?
    Get what you need, not what they tell you.

Sorry for the long post, just wanna tell you bout my exp about going along with what people told me that I needed. Now, this is just my exp and opinion, don't bash me for it lol!
    If you got a fix for any of the problems listed, let me know!

Edit: i mean to buy $30 to tether via an app like pdanet instead of rooting the phone. Oh, and the spell check sucks- in my opinion.
    Last edited by Han-ShinBi; 07-08-10 at 05:59 AM.
    07-07-10 06:34 PM
    I had the slide for almost two weeks and returned it.

Nothing wrong with Android. I just don't think the phone was worth it (I'm on EM+ so had to pay the full $430 price). Not enough storage for apps (apparently Android 2.2 will fix that).

Phone earpiece made hissing sound (exchanged it, the new one made the same noise)

Speaker phone had an even more noticeable hiss.

To much bloatware! Half of the onboard memory was hogged by the preloaded apps that came with the phone (and no way to remove them).

Android Market kept hanging and crashing, even some apps kept crashing.

Few more issues, but I just felt it wasn't worth the money and returned it.
    07-07-10 09:36 PM
    The speaker has nothing to do with Android and a lot more to do with HTC's crappy *** speakers..

You don't have to pay to tether the phone either
    07-07-10 10:24 PM
    I can't stand these reps that know nothing about mobiles and it just seems that they keep hiring them. They're the same people as those Best Buy or Fry's reps that tell you "Let me ask you this... do you watch more sports or movies?" Dude... its a TV... it has to look good and be the best for its price, ALL the times... Ridiculous.

OP, go with what you like.
    07-08-10 04:13 PM
    I can't stand these reps that know nothing about mobiles and it just seems that they keep hiring them. They're the same people as those Best Buy or Fry's reps that tell you "Let me ask you this... do you watch more sports or movies?" Dude... its a TV... it has to look good and be the best for its price, ALL the times... Ridiculous.

OP, go with what you like.
    There is a reason salespeople try to find a product that it the best fit for the customer. If everyone would be fine with one thing, then you'd only see one TV in a home theater department.

But on topic:

To the OP, Why not try the MTS out yourself? Asking opinions on here is going to get you a skewed set of answers. Just as if you asked the same question in a MTS forum. If you really want to know if you'll be happy with it, give it a shot. You have 14 days to put it through its paces, and if you dont like it, exchange it for a 9700. As someone said earlier, "it's your money, buy what you want." And the best way to see if you like something is to use it yourself.

My 2 cents on the question: I'd personally go preorder the new Samsung Vibrant, which will best both the MTS and the 9700.
    07-09-10 08:50 AM
    There is a reason salespeople try to find a product that it the best fit for the customer. If everyone would be fine with one thing, then you'd only see one TV in a home theater department.
    That doesn't even make sense. Buddy, it should go with what a customer likes and how much they can spend. I can assure you that a tv is not better for sports and one for movies. Image quality is what counts and it depends on the kind of tv, led, lcd, plasma, projector for example. Same with phones, if someone tried to sell me a MTS over a BB, because I KNOW what both are about, I would get WTF? On the fella. And btw, the hiring process at these places is a joke. I only found 3 reps, 2 at TMo and ONE at ATT back in the day, who were cool and knew their stuff almost as me (or most of us here). Because everyone else is a total ignoramous about anything mobile. I've heard some funny stuff and numerous times I helped the customers... no joke!
    07-09-10 07:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD