Hey,

Just got my new BlackBerry Curve 8520 and dropped it several times on the first day. Luckily I didn't damage it and as I really don't want to break it can anyone reccomend the best case for both protection and appearance?

Cheers.
    07-05-10 06:27 PM
    I like the otter box commuter. Sill fits in front pocket.
    07-05-10 06:44 PM
    I have the oem blackberry leather case and sometimes use rubber skin as well.

They both really work great and protects the bb...
    07-05-10 06:44 PM
    I prefer silicone cases. Or you can check out Otterbox Commuter Case.
    07-05-10 06:47 PM
    Hey,

Just got my new BlackBerry Curve 8520 and dropped it several times on the first day. Luckily I didn't damage it and as I really don't want to break it can anyone reccomend the best case for both protection and appearance?

Cheers.
    At the top of this page is a "search this forum" link where you can enter a search term such as Best Case, etc. There are at least 15 posts already asking the same exact question. Rather than creating a whole new thread, why not search and read what has already been posted dozens of times already?
    07-05-10 07:05 PM
    Cheers guys, very helpful thanks. Is it worth buying the official cases or will the unofficial ones be fine? Oh and btw @kwkid can you see where it says "CrackBerry Newbie"? That means I'm new here and don't know how this thing works yet. I apologise for wasting your time but you really didn't have to read or comment or spend anytime on this post so back off OK?
    07-05-10 07:22 PM
    Cheers guys, very helpful thanks. Is it worth buying the official cases or will the unofficial ones be fine? Oh and btw @kwkid can you see where it says "CrackBerry Newbie"? That means I'm new here and don't know how this thing works yet. I apologise for wasting your time but you really didn't have to read or comment or spend anytime on this post so back off OK?
    First, lose the attitude, I just asked a simple question and pointed out that there is a search function at the top of the page so as a newbie you can learn how to navigate the site. There is tons of great information here, if you take a small amount of time to learn how the site is set up and where the information is at. If you don't want to take the time, fine with me, it is your loss, not ours. There is also a First Time Posting FAQ that would have pointed out exactly what I asked, but you obviously didn't bother reading that either.
    07-05-10 07:30 PM
    Did it occur to you that I was in a hurry? Needed a quick answer and didn't have time to navigate the FAQ or previous posts? And I can see that you are a fairly experienced user of forum websites and the internet itself, so you should know that tone is really difficult to portray over text. So I appologise if I took your comment, which to me sounded fairly aggressive, the wrong way but I'm not as well travelled as you so do not know how these websites work.
    Last edited by PC Plum; 07-05-10 at 07:43 PM.
    07-05-10 07:36 PM
    07-05-10 07:51 PM
    Did it occur to you that I was in a hurry? Needed a quick answer and didn't have time to navigate the FAQ or previous posts? And I can see that you are a fairly experienced user of forum websites and the internet itself, so you shoudl know that tone is really difficult to portray over text. So I appologise if I took your comment, which to me sounded fairly aggressive, the wrong way but I'm not as well travelled as you so do not know how these websites work. But what I can tell is that your comment wasn't the friendliest of comments, so I feel that my "attitude" is justified.
    No it didn't occur to me as there was nothing in your initial post that conveyed the fact that you were in a hurry, needed an answer immediately (other than you had dropped it already), or that you were looking to make a purchase within the next few minutes. As always, it is all in the details, of which there were few in your initial post, other than What is the Best Case question.

As it is, in the time that you have already taken to respond, you could have easily gone to the Reviews section and read professional reviews on the cases available for the 8520/8530 and also read the last time someone had posted this question in this forum and all the answers and probably arrived at a conclusion to your question.

And last but certainly not least, the answer to your last question is maybe. By that I mean it does not have to be an official OEM case, but you do want to purchase one that supports the "sleep" mode. All cases that support "sleep" mode have a magnet built in that puts the BB to sleep when inserted in the case. Most skins or covers do not support sleep mode as they are intended to be on the device all the time. So you need to define what type of case you are looking for.

I use an OtterBox Defender Case. It is the most rugged case made for the BB 8520/8530, but most people find it to be way too big and bulky, but it is the best protection that you can get for the BB. The OtterBox Commuter is a great second choice as was mentioned already, but there are tons of cases available so research and defining what you want/need in a case is the only solution.
    07-05-10 07:54 PM
    otterbox commuter - hands down. i have the pink and white one AND the black on black one. the defender is huge and bulky. the commuter is smaller and weighs less and it still covers all the important parts... ive dropped this thing so many times with it and no problems

BlackBerry Curve 8500 Cases // OtterBox.com

they may be expensive on the site, but check ebay
    07-05-10 08:31 PM
    PS - Im running away - i sense serious hostility... LOL! come on guys - its just a thread.
    07-05-10 08:32 PM
    07-05-10 08:33 PM
    what about the otterbox impact? i just ordered it vs the commuter series. i really liked the commuter because it was more stylish and came in colors but the impact was cheaper and looked like it had more protection.
    07-05-10 08:54 PM
    PS - Im running away - i sense serious hostility... LOL! come on guys - its just a thread.
    Nah, no hostility here. The problem is that cases are very subjective. You really need to go and look at all the different style of cases and define exactly what you are looking for and need in a case.

I have three - The OtterBox Defender which I use 99.8% of the time, a Gel Skin that just sits in the cabinet, and a Bellagio Leather case that I use for those nice evenings out where the Defender just doesn't fit in with slacks and a sport coat or suit and tie. I love the Bellagio, but when I remove the phone from the case to use it, it is naked and subject to being damaged when dropped so I am extra careful in those situations.
    07-05-10 08:57 PM
    Make sure when you buy it, that it is ment for 8900/8500 devices.

I had very aggravating experiences with vendors that didn't know the difference between leather pouches for 8300 and 8900/8500...

Welcome to the forums. I do advise that you try to take things lightly here, we're a fairly nice bunch and it's kinda sad when we have these moments.

Lose the attitude, back off, stuff like that... Be objective and answers usually come in fast. Specially if mangcool is online.
    07-05-10 09:29 PM
    I like the Smartphones Experts leather side cases. You can buy them right here on CB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-10 09:43 PM
    otterbox commuter - hands down. i have the pink and white one AND the black on black one. the defender is huge and bulky. the commuter is smaller and weighs less and it still covers all the important parts... ive dropped this thing so many times with it and no problems

BlackBerry Curve 8500 Cases // OtterBox.com

they may be expensive on the site, but check ebay
    I so agree! I love how it feels, too! Very grippy, and doesn't feel "rubbery."
    07-05-10 10:00 PM
    Make sure when you buy it, that it is ment for 8900/8500 devices.

I had very aggravating experiences with vendors that didn't know the difference between leather pouches for 8300 and 8900/8500...

Welcome to the forums. I do advise that you try to take things lightly here, we're a fairly nice bunch and it's kinda sad when we have these moments.

Lose the attitude, back off, stuff like that... Be objective and answers usually come in fast. Specially if mangcool is online.
    HAHAHA! Diego, I'm always online, get used to it :P
    07-05-10 10:01 PM
    Gotta throw my hat in the ring with the Commuter recommendations here. I went the trial and error route and went through about 5 cases the first month I had my 8530, and found something to hate about every one of them. Not so with the Commuter and I sing it's praises every chance I get. When it comes time to get a new device I'll definitely be looking at it again.
    07-05-10 10:21 PM
    I have Zag. I like the original feel of my blackberry. Doesn't help if dropped except it won't scratch.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-10 10:31 PM
    I suggest sticking to a brand name like Otterbox or Zagg should be enough, right now I have the Invisible Shield and has been working OK, not a lot of protection against hard hits though...
    07-05-10 10:39 PM
    Thank you guys. As I have already said I am very new to forum sites of all varieties and with the environment that I live in it is required to show some hostility just so that you are left alone. So I appologise for the argument and thank you for your suggestions. Where is one able to purchase these cases?
    07-06-10 02:50 PM
    Thank you guys. As I have already said I am very new to forum sites of all varieties and with the environment that I live in it is required to show some hostility just so that you are left alone. So I appologise for the argument and thank you for your suggestions. Where is one able to purchase these cases?
    No problem. And take Diego's advise, take things lightly here and it is really sad to have those kind of moments. I think kwkid will appreciate your apology .

By the way, what do you mean by "Where is one able to purchase these cases?"

I don't quite understand it, were you asking where you can purchase those cases? Well, you can buy them at CrackBerry store, eBay, or Amazon.

Once again, welcome to CrackBerry!
    07-06-10 03:05 PM
    I so agree! I love how it feels, too! Very grippy, and doesn't feel "rubbery."
    EXACTLY! now, the black / black one isnt very "girlie" but the pink and white one def is, and it matches most of my themes - i highly recommend them - i havent used anything else since ive purchased the commuter - the impact doesnt protect as well as the commuter is the difference. (to answer a previous question) like mangcool said - definetly grippy, and not cheap and funky feeling.
    07-06-10 08:40 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD