I've looked through the other topics and they all talked about going from BB to iPhone, but I wanted to make sure that this can also be applied just as well vice versa.

My situation is that I'm going from 3GS to the unlocked BB Storm for a month or however long it takes till the white iPhone 4G comes out.

When I transfer my at&t sim card to the BB, should everything work fine (email, texts, internet...i do have the unlimited data plan)?

Will I run into any problems from that point on (having the BB storm now instead of the iPhone) to the time it takes for me to buy and switch to the iPhone 4G?

Thanks guys
    07-04-10 07:02 PM
    You will have issues with the data plan. When you switch to a BB you will have to change from the iPhone unlimited to the BB unlimited plan, therefor you will completely lose the ability to revert back to that plan. You will then have to go for one of the new options, of which unlimited is not an option.
    07-04-10 07:06 PM
    Thats a huge bummer!

My cousin did not mention that to me. He just told me that everything works fine with the swap. He just tested this for me by swapping his 3G sim card into the Storm and everything worked fine.

I don't want to sound like a huge *** about this but, are you 100% positive about this? Because the last thing I want to find out is that i lose my unlimited data plan and have to choose one of the new data plans.
    07-04-10 07:11 PM
    In order for all the BB functions to work, like web, email etc you need to be on a BB data plan. This will require you to change from your unlimited iPhone data plan. Since they no longer offer the unlimited, people are grandfathered in for this upgrade, and if you switch the plan, you do lose it.
    07-04-10 07:14 PM
    I'm just going to be using it as a temporary phone till the white one is released and then immediately buy that and switch to that.

I guess when it comes down to it, I can do without internet or email for the month or so, so long as the essentials such as phone calls and texts work in the meantime.

The storm is unlocked, does that still mean I would have to switch to the BB unlimited data plan?

Sorry for all the questions, i just want to make sure I'm not going to go WTF?! at the at&t store.
    Last edited by poda521; 07-04-10 at 07:23 PM.
    07-04-10 07:20 PM
    You will have issues with the data plan. When you switch to a BB you will have to change from the iPhone unlimited to the BB unlimited plan, therefor you will completely lose the ability to revert back to that plan. You will then have to go for one of the new options, of which unlimited is not an option.
    Wait, so you can only change your unlimited data plan once?

So, what if you go from a BB UNL plan to a UNL plan for a iPhone/Android and later on you wanna get, say, you a android/iPhone?

Thanks
    07-04-10 10:07 PM
    As far as I know there's no reason you can't switch between smartphone unlimited plans on AT&T so long as you keep one. When I swapped from BIS to iphone unlimited a couple weeks ago the CSR didn't mention any limitations; she just confirmed that those with an existing unlimited smartphone data plan were grandfathered and could keep a smartphone unlimited data plan. If you ever leave the unlimited data plan, you can't go back.

drm2blv - please post a reference to substantiate your statement.
    07-04-10 11:22 PM
    From my understanding, once you are taken off of the iPhone unlimited, the package no longer exists, therefor you will not be able to go back to it. I could be wrong, but form what I have heard from several people is you needed to be on the iPhone unlimited a week before the release of the iPhone 4 in order to lock it in, and if you switch plans you lose that one, and can not go back to it.
    07-04-10 11:27 PM
    @poda521

Three of my buddies switched from the $30 unlimited BB data plan to a $30 unlimited iPhone 4 data plans with no problems. You'll be fine.
    07-05-10 01:33 AM
    as long as you are on a smartphone unlimited data plan they will grandfather it in going from phone to phone regardless of htc, rim or apple. If you get a rep that says otherwise call back and try again. Its the luck of the draw with those guys
    07-05-10 07:02 AM
    From my understanding, once you are taken off of the iPhone unlimited, the package no longer exists, therefor you will not be able to go back to it. I could be wrong, but form what I have heard from several people is you needed to be on the iPhone unlimited a week before the release of the iPhone 4 in order to lock it in, and if you switch plans you lose that one, and can not go back to it.
    Okay, I think you're taking a piece of info and applying it out of context. Yes, if you did not have an iphone or other smartphone unlimited plan before the June 7th cutoff, you would not be able to go to a smartphone unlimited data plan afterward.

However, there's nothing preventing you from switching between smartphone unlimited data plans.

FWIW, I was on a Blackberry Unlimited plan up until the 19th of June, long after the cutoff.

When I called Customer Service to switch to the used iphone 3GS I'd bought locally, the CSR easily and quickly changed my BIS Unlimited data plan to an iphone data plan.
    07-05-10 10:44 AM
    You CAN stay unlimited when switching between smartphone platforms. Period. You can switch as much as you want.
    07-05-10 12:02 PM
    Hey everyone, I have a question:

I too am considering a iP4. One thing that concerns me is, some people say the Notifications on iP are bad, terrible, etc... I have been trying to find a video the shows just how the phone alearts you for SMS, MMS, email, missed calls, I'm, etc.... I know there is no LED, so I'm guessing the screen lights up. Also, can you setup repeat notifications? Is so, how is it? Can you set it up for every 5 minutes, 10 minutes, etc...? Will the screen flash when the alert goes off and 2nd, 3rd time, etc.....

Also, I have my phone on silent, yet vibrate just about all the time. Rarely do I have it set to ring with the ringtones. Only sound I really use on my phone is for the Alarm settings.

Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Moonbaseone; 07-05-10 at 12:23 PM.
    07-05-10 12:19 PM
    You signed up for an unlimited data plan when you signed your contract. Therefore, they are obligated to keep switching you between BB/iPhone unlimited data plans at will.

Source: I do it all of the time and they hate me :-}
    07-05-10 02:29 PM
    I've looked through the other topics and they all talked about going from BB to iPhone, but I wanted to make sure that this can also be applied just as well vice versa.

My situation is that I'm going from 3GS to the unlocked BB Storm for a month or however long it takes till the white iPhone 4G comes out.

When I transfer my at&t sim card to the BB, should everything work fine (email, texts, internet...i do have the unlimited data plan)?

Will I run into any problems from that point on (having the BB storm now instead of the iPhone) to the time it takes for me to buy and switch to the iPhone 4G?

Thanks guys
    I was in the same boat as you so im gonna give you MY opinion and what I did.
    I was using blackberry curve for a couple of weeks while I waited for Iphone4 (i had sold my 3gs). My data plan was the iphone unlimited data plan, but since I was scared of loosing my unlimited data if I changed to BB data and then tried 2 go back when I got the I4, i kept my iphone unlimited data plan and used the bb with that data plan. Nothing worked on the phone except TXT, MMS, the phone and MEDIA NET. I hardly used media net since it was a pain 2 use, i only used it when i needed to look for an address or something like that.
    If you only need the phone 2 text and make phone calls you should be fine BUT if u absolutely need email on your phone u r gonna have 2 change the data plan or get another phone that doesn't required an specific data plan 2 work.
    good luck!
    07-05-10 08:44 PM
    Hey everyone, I have a question:

I too am considering a iP4. One thing that concerns me is, some people say the Notifications on iP are bad, terrible, etc... I have been trying to find a video the shows just how the phone alearts you for SMS, MMS, email, missed calls, I'm, etc.... I know there is no LED, so I'm guessing the screen lights up. Also, can you setup repeat notifications? Is so, how is it? Can you set it up for every 5 minutes, 10 minutes, etc...? Will the screen flash when the alert goes off and 2nd, 3rd time, etc.....

Also, I have my phone on silent, yet vibrate just about all the time. Rarely do I have it set to ring with the ringtones. Only sound I really use on my phone is for the Alarm settings.

Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I dont think the notifications are TERRIBLE, they are ok....but if you really like the BB notification system u might be disappointed.
    When u get a text or Mms a little pop up will appear on ur screen. With the name or contact name and under its gonna say TEXT MESSAGE (you can change this setting so it will give u a preview of the text instead of TEXT MESSAGE).
    After u get a text or mms and u dont read it, you will be notified twice more (is you choose so) after that, but the screen wont flash or anything, it will just make noise again.
    After X amount of minutes the pop up window for the text messages is gonna disappear if u dont choose to READ or CLOSE...after that your only notification of unread message or email is gonna be a little red badge with a number that displays the amount of unread messages.
    For email you don't get a pop up, u just get the default noise notification for emails and I believe it only notifies you once (i might be wrong on this one).
    Last edited by debest74; 07-05-10 at 09:08 PM.
    07-05-10 09:05 PM
    I dont think the notifications are TERRIBLE, they are ok....but if you really like the BB notification system u might be disappointed.
    When u get a text or Mms a little pop up will appear on ur screen. With the name or contact name and under its gonna say TEXT MESSAGE (you can change this setting so it will give u a preview of the text instead of TEXT MESSAGE).
    After u get a text or mms and u dont read it, you will be notified twice more (is you choose so) after that, but the screen wont flash or anything, it will just make noise again.
    After X amount of minutes the pop up window for the text messages is gonna disappear if u dont choose to READ or CLOSE...after that your only notification of unread message or email is gonna be a little red badge with a number that displays the amount of unread messages.
    For email you don't get a pop up, u just get the default noise notification for emails and I believe it only notifies you once (i might be wrong on this one).
    Thanks. Now, what if you have your phone on vibrate/silent mode? Will it vibrate instead of making a sound to repeat notify you of the SMS/Email, etc... message?
    07-05-10 09:23 PM
    AT&T is stopping the unlimted data plan, so you may loose that in a later process of switching.
    07-07-10 08:53 PM
    AT&T is stopping the unlimted data plan, so you may loose that in a later process of switching.
    Smartphone unlimited data plans are grandfathered. You can switch from BB to iphone and not lose your unlimited data.
    07-08-10 08:29 AM
    Thanks to all of you guys who reassured me that I wouldn't be losing my unlimited plan. Compliments and regards to you all.

I'll be patiently waiting for the crap-tastic Storm 1 to make its way to me. It's been only 8 months and already that phone is going to be in my hands, sigh.
    07-10-10 12:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD