My Bold just crapped out and I don't want to wait for the 9800, and Android phones have finally gotten to the point where I want to jump to one of them. I'm looking at the Nexus One on T-Mo. Right now, I pay $109 a month after taxes and fees on AT&T for an "unlimited" data plan (no tethering), 450 anytime minutes and unlimited texts.

After a gov't employee discount (for which I am also eligible), my friend pays $73 per month after taxes and fees on T-Mo, for 500 anytime minutes and unlimited data for his N1. He loves that he can tether for free and there's no cap on his data, and T-Mo customers in my area seem to be happy with the coverage here.

What are your experiences? Saving $36 per month is pretty attractive, the N1 looks like a sweet phone, and T-Mo seems to have a good structure in place for improving their network. Is there some reason I should avoid them? Is their customer service decent? Are those of you who use T-Mo mostly happy? I know there's no perfect carrier but even an acceptable carrier is good enough if it means I can get the phone I want most and save $36 per month (or twice that if my wife switches with me).
    07-04-10 12:52 AM
    My Bold just crapped out and I don't want to wait for the 9800, and Android phones have finally gotten to the point where I want to jump to one of them. I'm looking at the Nexus One on T-Mo. Right now, I pay $109 a month after taxes and fees on AT&T for an "unlimited" data plan (no tethering), 450 anytime minutes and unlimited texts.

After a gov't employee discount (for which I am also eligible), my friend pays $73 per month after taxes and fees on T-Mo, for 500 anytime minutes and unlimited data for his N1. He loves that he can tether for free and there's no cap on his data, and T-Mo customers in my area seem to be happy with the coverage here.

What are your experiences? Saving $36 per month is pretty attractive, the N1 looks like a sweet phone, and T-Mo seems to have a good structure in place for improving their network. Is there some reason I should avoid them? Is their customer service decent? Are those of you who use T-Mo mostly happy? I know there's no perfect carrier but even an acceptable carrier is good enough if it means I can get the phone I want most and save $36 per month (or twice that if my wife switches with me).
    I would say if he's in your area and liking it... THEN WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR!

$36 a month is a lot of money... do the math. Take $36/month * 12 months = $432. That's almost a brand new Nexus one!
    07-04-10 01:28 AM
    I would say if he's in your area and liking it... THEN WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR!

$36 a month is a lot of money... do the math. Take $36/month * 12 months = $432. That's almost a brand new Nexus one!
    That's my biggest fear... he's not in my area. He lives in Tacoma, WA and I live in Denver, CO. AT&T sucked in my last neighborhood (also in Denver), but it's been great ever since I moved last year, and there aren't TOO many bad patches that I've found. The guys in the T-Mo store say they have full bars all over town and never drop a call, but of course they're gonna say that. I'd love to hear from a Denver T-Mo customer on that one, but even that is something I'll be able to test for myself.

I guess what I'm hoping to get from the users here is some real-life feedback about experiences with customer support and overall satisfaction with T-Mo. Do you feel like valued customers? I sure never did with AT&T. ronniebar's very right though, the $36 per month that each my wife and I will save by doing this is huge. The phones cost $179 for new subscribers so will pay for themselves after 6 months, and while I'm not really trusting of any telecom company, it will feel good to tell Big Blue to cram it.

Also, I should go ahead and add the little update that after watching videos and reading reviews of the N1 all night, I finally decided I may as well give it a shot. I just ordered my N1. I'm really excited for it! I know I can return it promptly if I don't like it, but the thing that worries me is what will happen when I port my old AT&T number over. I know that activating the N1 will terminate my AT&T contract and they'll slap me with my ETF, but what happens if I don't like the phone or T-Mobile at that point? I guess I just return it and port the number from T-Mo elsewhere? I really like the looks of the Sprint EVO, but that puts me back into the realm of pricing I've been paying at AT&T. I also don't want to go crawling back to AT&T with my tail between my legs, after paying them a hefty ETF, just to start as a new customer.

Crossing my fingers that I'm happy with my decision!

EDIT: Hey! This is my 2,000th post! Apparently my Bold was good for 2,000 posts before I gave in and bought me an Android phone. I wonder where I can start making posts to earn the title of Android Genius?
    Last edited by digitalb0y; 07-04-10 at 03:56 AM.
    07-04-10 03:32 AM
    Yep, you'll pay the ETF and then if you have to go back to ATT, you'll go back as a new customer.
    I'm hoping you like T-Mobile. Luckily, you have that period where you can try it out and then cancel if you don't like it.
    Denver, CO should be fine. The only places where T-Mobile can be subpar is in tiny towns with not a lot of people (like my college town). You should have 3G and be ready to go.
    07-04-10 07:38 AM
    I agree with what everyone else has posted. The customer service is one of T-Mobile's best points.
    07-04-10 08:55 AM
    Best thing to do, buy a pre-paid T-Mobile phone, unlock your AT&T phone, and use the pre-paid T-Mobile SIM to test the waters. Yes, you're spending $20 to test, but it could be worth it in the end. T-Mobile's coverage maps are not as accurate on the customer side as they are on the customer service side. It's a known issue that's being worked on, but not at this time. Also, check out the T-Mobile forums T-Mobile Community - T-Mobile Community talk to people who have the service in your area.
    07-04-10 09:58 AM
    I live in northern Denver and work at DIA and get pretty good service everywhere I go, 3G is okay I wish it was a little better but I'm okay with what I got especially what I pay. If you want to try tmobile I say go for it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-10 10:06 AM
    They have very good customer service and obviously have great prices. Enjoy the Nexus One. It is an awesome phone.

07-04-10 10:15 AM
    I would not go with the Nexus One, it's too buggy. Android is a great developing platform, but the Nexus One was an epic fail. Unless you are getting the phone for free, I'd suggest looking at something more affordable.
    07-04-10 10:36 AM
    I kind of agree with K Bear. Nexus 1 IS buggy, but it's still a good phone if you tinker with it.

Basically, I don't think the N1 is good for people who aren't very "techy" but if that's your thing and you like to tinker, I'm sure you can make the N1 work for you.

07-04-10 10:53 AM
    I have a 9700 on Tmobile and love it. You could always go that route.

07-04-10 10:55 AM
    FWIW, have you considered a Blackberry with T-Mobile? Then you could get UMA to help with coverage. I thought T-Mobile has a 30-day trial for new customers...any gurus correct me.
    07-04-10 01:29 PM
    14 days to return the phone/cancel service without any penalty. I believe it's 30 days in cali, but 14 days elsewhere.

07-04-10 02:02 PM
    I know that activating the N1 will terminate my AT&T contract and they'll slap me with my ETF, but what happens if I don't like the phone or T-Mobile at that point? I guess I just return it and port the number from T-Mo
    14 days to return the phone/cancel service without any penalty. I believe it's 30 days in cali, but 14 days elsewhere.

I would suggest going into a Tmobile store, and activating a new line of service, with data enabled on it. Use the line until you are comfortable with the coverage, and are certain that you want to use it as your primary line. At that point, port your number to Tmobile, which will then trigger the cancelation of your AT&T contract, and the ETF as applicable.
    07-04-10 06:17 PM
    If you come back to AT&T within 59 days, you will resume your old account and will not have to pay for the ETF.

Denver, CO is a major area - there will be bad and good zones for every carrier. If your friend is happy with the 3G coverage I don't see what could be holding you back.

BTW data isn't "hard" capped but it is soft capped at 10GB, when you go over they just throttle you
    07-04-10 07:34 PM
    If you come back to AT&T within 59 days, you will resume your old account and will not have to pay for the ETF.
    Wow, really? That's cool. I only get 14 days to evaluate the N1, but that should be enough to test my coverage around town. It's nice to know I won't get completely hosed for testing the waters. I guess I can even use it for a couple weeks with my new Google Voice number, and port the AT&T number over later. I can't wait to play with the new phone. It should arrive tomorrow.

From what I'm reading, a lot of the N1 bugs have been worked out with the arrival of Froyo, but I'm not really afraid of them anyway. For the past 18 months I've run every experimental build of BB OS for the 9000 I could find, and many of them needed some serious attention. The truth is I'm a pretty big mobile device geek and love tinkering. I'm even looking forward to trying to learn to compile Android myself. That's something you can't do on other platforms.

And yes, I have considered another BB on T-Mo. I just wish they were getting the 9800 soon. For now, I finally like the looks of enough of the Android devices that I'm willing to wait for another RIM device that excites me and play with a new platform in the meantime.
    07-05-10 06:26 AM
    THIS THING IS AWESOME! Sure miss my keyboard though. And there's no official Swype support for Froyo on the N1. This means I have to root the phone if I want to be able to determine whether I could get used to Swype in lieu of a keyboard. Trouble is, you root it, you buy it.
    07-08-10 03:41 PM
    Well, if you're loving it thus far and the coverage is good, then you'll be keeping the N1, right? then you can root it all you want.

Glad you like your new phone and service.

07-08-10 09:05 PM
    Been with T-mo for 7 years. They have excellent customers service. Have never had a problem with them. They do whatever they can to keep you as a customer. No complaints or problems here. Rates have always been better then any other company as well.
    07-08-10 11:58 PM
    Thanks guys, good to hear you're staying happy. I believe I will as well, and I'm not looking back at all. They've been great so far, I'm saving a ton, and loving my new phone. Rooted without unlocking the bootloader as well, so on the off-chance I need to use my warranty, all I need is a stock ROM. I do miss my keyboard, but everything else is fantastic. If your area gets coverage as good as I get here, I highly recommend this move to anyone on the fence.
    07-13-10 03:41 PM
    T-mo is good, i have been with them for 5 years, few small problems but they do there best to keep you happy.
    07-15-10 04:47 PM
    Glad you're happy digitalb0y. I bet you'll get used to the touchscreen soon enough.
    07-15-10 08:52 PM
    Now T-Mobile is working on a HPSA network...I think that means 4G
    07-30-10 10:43 AM
    T mobile has consistently been voted as No. 1 in customer service by JD powers.
    so there's your answer for that.
    regarding the phone, have you considered the Samsung Vibrant? ( the one that looks like an iphone) running on 3G and plenty of real state to enjoy.
    currently i'm with AT&T and on the fence of switching..
    i think i'm gonna miss the roll over minutes that AT&T offers.
    07-30-10 01:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD