6 weeks ago my storm started dropping calls all over town. I use 2500+ minutes monthly and this was a significant problem for me. Because I pay for the extra insurance they replaced the phone twice (total of 3 phones) in an attempt to resolve the issue. The original phone I was using was shipped the first week of Dec 2008.

With the replacement phones I did not load any apps or upgrade the OS, I ran straight .328 w/my contacts. Nothing seemed to improve the situation.

The last phone call to CS the rep said "if this doesn't fix it, we will help you get into a new phone". I assumed that meant they would wave a couple of months off of my contract and NE2 and let me sign a new contract and get a phone.

When I called them to let them know their last solution didn't resolve the issues the CS rep let me know that there were over 30 tickets from storm users in my zipcode (not a large area at all).

She asked me if I knew what an Incredible was and then offered to send me one, with accessories including an extended battery, case and car charger. I was floored. She overnight-ed the phone and accessories for 10:30 delivery the next day. All that and my contract was not extended, and she let me know I am up for NE2 the first week of August. I didn't ask for any of this, so I was surprised when she confirmed there would be no charge for anything and commented that I should be pleased as these phones are back ordered for a month or so.

Needless to say, I was very pleased with the service level received from Verizon in this case.

By the end of my six week ordeal I am convinced that Verizon changed something in our local area that "broke" Storm1's.

I'm still learning the Android system and I may be back with a Storm3, but for now, I am off to Android Central.
    07-03-10 03:51 PM
    How did you get a backorder phone?
    07-03-10 05:07 PM
    Towers in your area are about the only thing that could have changed, especially if you're in an Alltel divested market. That being said, .328 (or .32x anything for that matter) didn't have the best radio files to begin with. Congrats on your new phone, but I'm sure your issues could have been averted with some better software then the OEM loads from the carrier.
    07-03-10 05:11 PM
    Towers in your area are about the only thing that could have changed, especially if you're in an Alltel divested market. That being said, .328 (or .32x anything for that matter) didn't have the best radio files to begin with. Congrats on your new phone, but I'm sure your issues could have been averted with some better software then the OEM loads from the carrier.
    Believe me I tried. With the second phone, I tried 419, 591 and 685. I had been running 591 on the original phone when the issues began. Dropped it back to 328 to ensure it wasn't a change to the network that the newer radio files (non Verizon approved) couldn't handle. Maybe not the best logic, but I didn't want Verizon pointing to the OS version as the problem.

I agree with you, a change to the towers in my area is probably the issue. We were not former Alltel, we are in an area that years ago was Cellular One.

It appears that they have a stock of "like new replacement" phones to ship, but the CS rep commented that there was no way they were refurbs as the phone was too new. Regardless, I am just happy to have a phone that doesn't drop every third call.

This Android stuff takes a bit to get used to.
    07-03-10 05:24 PM
    Congrats on the new phone. If there is no Storm 3 by the end of the year, I am thinking that I will get either the Incredible or the Droid X. Should be interesting to see what happens.
    07-03-10 06:44 PM
    Wow! congrats!
    07-03-10 10:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD