So you know normally you will get a message when your battery is low that says "Battery too low for radio use" and the radio comes off. Well twice that stopped happening. Battery was low but instead of getting the message, my phone just cuts off like if the battery is dead.

Any explanation as to why this is happening? It happened two out of two times.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-10 03:13 PM
    What OS are you using. My AT&T OS does it just fine.
    07-03-10 03:25 PM
    It does it just fine here but I've only experienced it once . I never leave my blackberry on low battery

07-03-10 04:22 PM
    I have used a Blackberry for 7 years now and if you charge it while you sleep, it will not run out of power.
    07-03-10 05:11 PM
    Get a charging cradle and drop it in when you go to sleep. BerryBuzz can be configured to display a custom color when power is low.
    07-03-10 05:31 PM
    I know when the battery is low but I was not accessible to a charger at those two times. My phone is normally charged but what I am wondering is why I won't get the message again where the radio powers off!

I'm on 5.0.0.656
    07-05-10 12:02 PM
    The device will power down if it senses it's reached a certain limit... if you've damaged the battery too much it might drop quicker than expected and MIGHT be dropping to that magic limit that tells the OS to shut down... just a guess since I don't know how many times you have let this happen to your device's battery... personally, I have NEVER let this happen to mine and I never will... I have cables at home, work, and a charger in my car... and BuzzBerry is set to warn me when I reach 30% battery life.
    07-05-10 12:13 PM
    Berrybuzz warns me at 20%. If I'm in a party or something or in gym, I can't charge the phone. It's not a matter of the battery dropping rapidly.

I believe when the battery reaches 5% it cuts off the radio.this has not happened the two times my battery has died recently. Am I the only one who experiences this problem?
    07-05-10 12:39 PM
    Try also closing apps that you are not using. Lower your backlighting level. If you are not using WiFi, turn it off. This might help conserve battery power so that you don't find yourself in low battery situations. I leave my 9700 in a charging cradle when I am not using it and one at the office with a car charger. If your issues persist, try a new battery and that will at least narrow down the issue. I am running my carriers most recent OS and battery life is just fine.
    07-05-10 01:20 PM
    Sorry, it sounds like poor prior planning to me, so if it turns itself off it sounds like it is doing it's job and it's working just fine to me.
    07-05-10 02:14 PM
    So you know normally you will get a message when your battery is low that says "Battery too low for radio use" and the radio comes off. Well twice that stopped happening. Battery was low but instead of getting the message, my phone just cuts off like if the battery is dead.

Any explanation as to why this is happening? It happened two out of two times.

I believe it is an OS issue. I would get this warning on the stock OS (.330) but have run a couple other OS' since then that would just shut off when the battery got too low for radio use.

07-05-10 02:53 PM
    Sorry, it sounds like poor prior planning to me, so if it turns itself off it sounds like it is doing it's job and it's working just fine to me.
    How is it doing it's job. It does not shut the radio off. You guys are turning this into a how to conserve battery life issue rather than seeing the main problem.

I believe it is an OS issue. I would get this warning on the stock OS (.330) but have run a couple other OS' since then that would just shut off when the battery got too low for radio use.

At least someone sees where I'm coming from. Thank you.
    07-06-10 07:58 AM
    I have the same problem.

But mine dies at 10% without warning. I only *sometimes* get a warning. I'm running OS 5.0.0.656 and I'm with Telus.

I might just get an extended battery from the crackberry store IF it's in stock still.

07-06-10 01:51 PM
    I have the same problem with u. As long as I remember it happened since I move to 656, and still continue until this new release .743.. Haven't had a chance to move back to an older OS, but I think it resides on the OS
    07-07-10 01:03 AM
    Its the battery! Ive had this happen a few times, and battery replacement fixed it. If you can, swap batteries with someone with same and test - betcha the swapped user's BB starts dying soon after 20%!
    07-07-10 01:17 AM
    i've noticed the same thing too. i'm running on the latest OS .. .743, and when i get down to the very last bar (i think it's 15%), it just shuts off. what OS are you running? i thought i remembered that when i was on the standard t-mobile .330, it would drain normally (last bar was yellow... then the flashing yellow light...then the indicator would be empty and red...then radio too low for radio use...then death ) i also have noticed that when i switch batteries between the 9700 and my 9000 (they're the same battery), when i put pull the battery from the 9700 and put it in the 9000, the battery suddenly loses almost 25%. it's weird..
    07-07-10 02:57 AM
    so you want the message "Battery too low for radio use" to come up before the blackberry cuts you off?...... ah...ok. either way your still cut off! here's an idea how about we charge our phone at night so we won't have to worry about this little problem! if your losing sleep over this little quagmire reload your os!!!
    07-07-10 05:11 AM
    so you want the message "Battery too low for radio use" to come up before the blackberry cuts you off?...... ah...ok. either way your still cut off! here's an idea how about we charge our phone at night so we won't have to worry about this little problem! if your losing sleep over this little quagmire reload your os!!!
    Ha. A dead phone is a dead phone, but I think the original poster just would like a little more warning before the phone shuts off... Especially since it's supposed indicate that the battery is quickly fading. It's like running out of gas.... Wouldn't you rather the "low fuel" indicator light up before your car is out of gas and stops completely?

07-07-10 05:25 AM
    My 9700 has done this several times as well. I'm using the latest official os release from att (.602)

07-07-10 09:29 AM
    Why are so many people having a hard time understanding this issue? The question that ttsoldier is asking has NOTHING to do with how to charge your battery overnight OR how to preserve your battery OR why a dead battery shuts down. The question is ...

What happened to the low-battery warning?

I have a Bold 9700 and I used to receive a "beep" warning that my battery level is so low that it's about to shut off. I do not receive this anymore.

I have had BB's for more than 5 years and they all used to give several warnings that my battery level was fading BEFORE the phone or the radio powered off. On old BB devices, the more frequent the beeps, the more likely the device was about to power itself off. As a matter of fact, every cell phone I've owned had some sort of warning that the battery was almost out of juice, whether it was a Motorola, Nokia, etc.

Do I have a setting turned off to warn or notify me that the battery level is low?

Has anyone figured this out? Did the 9700 not come with a low level battery warning? I thought it did when I first got the phone, but I haven't heard this warning in months.

I'm using v5.0.0.405 (but just updated while typing this to v.602).

Thanks in advance for any input to hopefully fix this issue. I sure do miss my phone warning me that it's about to power down, instead of just powering down without warning.

Just to trying to illustrate one more time ...

Previously -

I used to receive a beep while on the phone that signaled my battery was "pooping out." It would allow me to tell the other person on the phone, "Hey ... I'm getting a warning that my phone is about to die. If it does, I'll charge it up when I get home and give you a call right back. But I probably have 5 or 10 minutes." The beep would become more and more frequent as the battery proceeded to weaken.

Currently -

Mid-conversation: the entire device powers itself off without ANY warning.

***I hope this clarifies everything.***
    Last edited by TMoney9700; 08-03-10 at 11:08 PM.
    08-03-10 11:04 PM
    I also got the problem. Currently i'm using 5.0.0.743 - Optus Mobile.
    08-04-10 12:04 AM
    09-14-10 08:13 PM
    I had the same issue--also, you know how your battery turns yellow. Like, caution--you're running low. Mine skipped that and went to dead too.

Two things: I called ATT and got a new battery. Then about 2 weeks later it did it again. Then I stopped using my charging pod. I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but it hasn't done it since.

09-14-10 09:10 PM
    Hi,

I had a staff member report this issue as well with the carrier ATT. They found that by wiping the device and leaving it off the BES for a day, the low battery indicator worked. However as soon as the device was activated on the BES, the low battery notify feature went away!

I don't see how a BES setting would control the removal of the low battery indicator. There are no settings for this.

The Options - Device - Accessibility - Events Sounds are turned on.

Weird.
    10-26-10 10:14 AM
    I no longer get the warning either, no flashing LED (yes, its set to warn) my phone just shuts off now.
    I have a spare battery so its all good, I usually use them both in a day. Lol

10-26-10 10:23 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD